Just rooted - ROM suggestions for my needs?

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted using Revolutionary. As many have said before, it was so easy that I wish I had done it earlier.

Now I nee ROM suggestions. I know there are lots of threads about this, with lots of great suggestions, and I honestly have combed through many of them. I just haven't found any good leads for what I want.

I don't know if I'll get super into switching ROMS all the time or not. All I really want is something that:

1. will help battery life (not interested in extended battery, but maybe the Rezound battery)

2. is debloated

3. Does NOT have Sense (I'm currently using Go Launcher. Even if a ROM has ADW I'd be willing to try it and switch to Go Launcher if I like it better)

4, Has theming options (do I just download themes instead? Not really sure how that process works)

5. is FAST and SNAPPY

Any suggestions? Or other tips for a newly rooted Bolt owner? Maybe some absolutely necessary apps for root users?

BTW, these forums are GREAT- so many helpful people. I'm looking forward to all the suggestions.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
CM7.1.1.... all custom ROMs are debloated, and CM7 is an AOSP ROM meaning it is not a Sense ROM... could be considered Snappy... and since you will using Go Launcher, it has it's own Themes.

Just remember to read the entire first post... including the NOTE that says you must download and flash the GAPPS file (Google Apps). Also a great suggestion... start GPS, start Navigator in your current ROM, get a GPS lock for directions to any location... it's an issue with GPS lock with all AOSP ROMs and this is a work around.

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
CM7.1.1.... Just remember to read the entire first post... including the NOTE that says you must download and flash the GAPPS file (Google Apps). Also a great suggestion... start GPS, start Navigator in your current ROM, get a GPS lock for directions to any location... it's an issue with GPS lock with all AOSP ROMs and this is a work around.

What do you mean by 'the entire first post? What post?

What does getting a GPS lock in the old ROM do to help the CM7 ROM?

Thanks for your response fatboy97

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by 'the entire first post? What post?

Local Thread here on AC: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/122521-rom-not-fully-official-cm7-thunderbolt-7-1-1-updated-10-2-a.html
Post that was linked to in this thread on RootzWiki: [ROM] Not fully Official CM7 for Thunderbolt. 7.1.1 Updated 10-2 1:25AM EST - RootzWiki... this is the first post you should read in it's entirety.

What does getting a GPS lock in the old ROM do to help the CM7 ROM?

Thanks for your response fatboy97

It gets a GPS lock and after you flash the CM7 ROM and the GAPPS file your GPS will work... if you don't do it, then maybe your GPS will work, maybe it will not work... "it's a work around."

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My first rom after i finally rooted was liquid smooth 3.2 ... looking at you list of requirements I'd say you should check it out too. Ive been very happy with it myself.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My first rom after i finally rooted was liquid smooth 3.2 ... looking at you list of requirements I'd say you should check it out too. Ive been very happy with it myself.

Liquid Smooth is another very good AOSP ROM... and it doesn't require a GAPPS file flash since the Google apps are included.... but it does still require the GPS work around to be sure you get a functional GPS with this ROM.

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
fatboy97-

I just flashed CM7.1.1 but the app list has no google apps like mail or maps in it. I'm assuming something went wrong with the gapps thing I was supposed to flash.

Here's what I did:

1. did all the wiping of data and caches explained in the sticky
2. flashed the gapps zip through CW
3. rebooted into recovery directly from CW just in case it needed to reboot before flashing the CM7 zip
4. flashed the CM7 zip
5. rebooted and checked for google apps. None were there.

Should I not reboot after flashing the gapps zip? Or maybe I'm supposed to flash the CM7 zip first?

What do you suggest?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
fatboy97-

I just flashed CM7.1.1 but the app list has no google apps like mail or maps in it. I'm assuming something went wrong with the gapps thing I was supposed to flash.

Here's what I did:

1. did all the wiping of data and caches explained in the sticky
2. flashed the gapps zip through CW
3. rebooted into recovery directly from CW just in case it needed to reboot before flashing the CM7 zip
4. flashed the CM7 zip
5. rebooted and checked for google apps. None were there.

Should I not reboot after flashing the gapps zip? Or maybe I'm supposed to flash the CM7 zip first?

What do you suggest?

I already sent you a reply to this same message after you sent this same thing in a PM message.

Reactions: scosch

irocroe

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm running bamf cubed. I like it. if u like sense It's great. was Laggy at first but upstreammaimi helped me out every step of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes