Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scosch
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sky Raider/6.1 IMO kernel

Default Still not great battery life using liquid...

I've been running the latest version of liquid smooth for a few days now and I'm still disappointed with the battery life. It's no better than stock gingerbread. I've heard it's supposed to have better battery life, especially since it doesn't have sense, but that's just not my experience.

I didn't have great battery life before I rooted on stock gingerbread using the stock battery. Some people were claiming 18-24 hours of life on one charge with moderate use and I wasn't getting near that. I have virtually no regularly occurring syncs: no facebook, no weather widget, work email syncs every hour. I use widget locker and go launcher. Would those affect my battery life? I keep the brightness at less than 20% all the time and use wifi 90% of the time, 4g the rest of the time.

I calibrated the battery using the app recommended on these forums after I installed liquid and followed the directions completely.

Does anybody have any suggestions before I try a sense ROM? Please don't suggest the extended or rezound battery- I'd first like to try to get the same battery life others are getting on the stock battery.

Any ideas are very appreciated. As a for instance, I've been perusing the Android central forums on wifi nonstop now for about 20 minutes and my battery has dropped about 15% according to the status bar battery indicator that is part of the liquid ROM. That just doesn't seem right.

Default Re: Still not great battery life using liquid...

You may or may not have noticed a few links below the ROMs listed.... one of which is a link to ... I'm not saying a lean kernel is the end all to all battery issues, but I've had this one loaded on my AOSP ROM (CM7.1.1) without any issues and with fairly good use today, including a number of text messages today for ESPN News, browsing to ESPN to track some scores... 13hrs up and currently at 53% battery life.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    You may or may not have noticed a few links below the ROMs listed.... one of which is a link to ... I'm not saying a lean kernel is the end all to all battery issues, but I've had this one loaded on my AOSP ROM (CM7.1.1) without any issues and with fairly good use today, including a number of text messages today for ESPN News, browsing to ESPN to track some scores... 13hrs up and currently at 53% battery life.
    I'll go ahead and try that kernel. Do I just download and flash it after booting into recovery, or do I need to do any wipes?

Just out of curiosity, what are your battery usage stats? Not too long after my post I hit 10% left and decided to check my battery usage and it seemed odd:

Cell standby 32%
    Cell idle 26%
    Android system 23%
    Display 9%
    Wifi 7%
    Voice calls 4%

I was only at about 8.5 hours off charger at that point. Standby and idle seemed really high. I know you told me before that those sometimes look high but really aren't, but with the other percentages so low I have to believe they are a big part of the problem. I don't think I have a super weak signal either; usually consistently at 2 bars, which I know isn't great but doesn't seem too bad. Or is it?

By the way, thank you so much for all of your help with my rooting questions. You have answered every one of my posts and haven't treated me like an *****. I've noticed you have answered a lot of questions in these forums. People like you define the awesomeness of the Android community.
    incoehoots likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I just looked at my kernel version and I think I may already have that latest kernel from imo. My kernel info says:

2.6.35.14-imoseyon-5.1.0AOSP+
    root@ubuntu #65

I clicked the link you sent to check out the kernel and from what I can tell this is the exact same kernel. On that rootzwiki page I clicked the link for governors and the governors I have under liquid settings are the same exact governors described there.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Scosch4 View Post
    What do you think?
    I think you asked for options and I gave you one... if that is what you have for a kernel, then so be it... sorry my solution did not help... now you can look at the Liquid Smooth thread again... scroll down to the section below the download threads, where the kernels are list... notice I say kernels and not kernel... there are more than one.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

I've been running the latest version of liquid smooth for a few days now and I'm still disappointed with the battery life. It's no better than stock gingerbread. I've heard it's supposed to have better battery life, especially since it doesn't have sense, but that's just not my experience.

I didn't have great battery life before I rooted on stock gingerbread using the stock battery. Some people were claiming 18-24 hours of life on one charge with moderate use and I wasn't getting near that. I have virtually no regularly occurring syncs: no facebook, no weather widget, work email syncs every hour. I use widget locker and go launcher. Would those affect my battery life? I keep the brightness at less than 20% all the time and use wifi 90% of the time, 4g the rest of the time.

I calibrated the battery using the app recommended on these forums after I installed liquid and followed the directions completely.

Does anybody have any suggestions before I try a sense ROM? Please don't suggest the extended or rezound battery- I'd first like to try to get the same battery life others are getting on the stock battery.

Any ideas are very appreciated. As a for instance, I've been perusing the Android central forums on wifi nonstop now for about 20 minutes and my battery has dropped about 15% according to the status bar battery indicator that is part of the liquid ROM. That just doesn't seem right.
    I've been running the Gingeritis 3D roms ( just loaded up the latest 1.1, and updated the kernel with it ), have also for the first time overclocked it ( "No Frills CPU" app ), bought a Rezound battery, and I have zero issues with battery life anymore. I run my display at 60%, have one push gmail account, and the rest of my email accounts set to check every 4 hours. I always leave my wifi on as well. I don't use any widgets except Simi Clock, and my battery life is unbelievably good. It's a totally different phone with this rom and battery, even overclocked, from what I originally purchased. I love it now. Go check out Gingeritis' latest 3D rom & the recommended kernel that automatically is installed with the latest rom he / they offer.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM

Fatboy-

I get the sense that you think I discounted your idea and that's not the case. I was just saying that I thought I may have already been using that kernel and was looking for some confirmation since I'm still relatively new to all this and the label of the kernel on rootzwiki didn't exactly match the name when I go to about phone.

For what it's worth, I did assume I was already using that leankernel. Since I was still having those battery issues and was having the same issue with CM I decided to try BAMF cubed. It's been a little better with the dialer stats really low, but I can still practically watch the battery percentage drop. It literally drops about 10% in 20 minutes with the only use being me quickly turning on the display to check the battery percentage.

I've double checked all of my syncing apps and it's very minimal with really the only thing syncing being my work email every hour. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the phone or the battery. I'm going to try my other battery and see if it's better.

Oh yeah, I also set the governor for the kernel to the smartass setting which seemed to be the best power saving setting while still getting some decent performance.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by lazymac View Post
    I've been running the Gingeritis 3D roms ( just loaded up the latest 1.1, and updated the kernel with it ), have also for the first time overclocked it ( "No Frills CPU" app ), bought a Rezound battery, and I have zero issues with battery life anymore. I run my display at 60%, have one push gmail account, and the rest of my email accounts set to check every 4 hours. I always leave my wifi on as well. I don't use any widgets except Simi Clock, and my battery life is unbelievably good. It's a totally different phone with this rom and battery, even overclocked, from what I originally purchased. I love it now. Go check out Gingeritis' latest 3D rom & the recommended kernel that automatically is installed with the latest rom he / they offer.
    Thanks, I'll probably check it out. At this point anything is worth a try.

Thanks, I'll probably check it out. At this point anything is worth a try.

Yeah, it is Ziggy's Kernel thats included. It is just sooo smoooth..

i loved liquid but also had probs. with just unsatifactory battery life, especially since it is not even sense. i much prefer the bamf or gingeritis roms..

Only thing i really miss is being able to change the song im listening to by using the volume rocker.. when the screen is off of course.
    Last edited by jaguarpaw; 12-27-2011 at 11:04 AM.

I'm not getting good battery life either. I can go 12 hours easy with stock ROM. I'm down to 30% after 6 hours with Liquid ROM. My Android System & Cell standby are very high.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

So do we have a resolution on the battery life issue for liquid 3.2?
    I think i have the same isshue and I am using the same kernel: 2.6.35 14-imoseyon-5.1 0ASOP+root@ubuntu #65