Need to update su_bin, but can't flash...need some help

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm having some problems with rooting my friends Thunderbolt. I tried to root via Revolutionary, but I kept getting stuck at the very beginning I would just get a fail. So it tried to root via htcsupertoolv3. It seems to work, but I kept getting errors trying to start wifi tether. Well I knew what the problem was, I needed to update the su-bin, Superuser was messed up. So I tried to update the su_bin via recovery, but I get an error and a reboot when I select update via SD card. I obviously can't install Rom Manager, bu cause it requires Superuser to work. I did notice when I boot into recovery, that I'm not in cwm recovery. I even tried to unroot via htcsupertoolv3 and that is unsuccessful. If I can just update the su_bin, all should be fine. Any ideas?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
When in hBoot are you S-On or S-Off??? I'd just boot up if I was S-Off and check for updates to Superuser on the Market.... and for recovery, just download ROM Manager and flash the latest update of Recovery to your device. After all you appear to be coming up if you are trying to use Wifi Tether.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
:-\
When in hBoot are you S-On or S-Off??? I'd just boot up if I was S-Off and check for updates to Superuser on the Market.... and for recovery, just download ROM Manager and flash the latest update of Recovery to your device. After all you appear to be coming up if you are trying to use Wifi Tether.

SOB, your right. The phone is still in S-ON, so no root. Ok then, anyone have any idea what could be going wrong with root. I have the HTCDriver installed.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
:-\

SOB, your right. The phone is still in S-ON, so no root. Ok then, anyone have any idea what could be going wrong with root. I have the HTCDriver installed.

Sorry, I did my device a LONG time ago using the old ADB method... but I'd recommend going to Revolutionary thread at the top of this forum and follow the directions... I've always found Cyber Warriors instructions to be very well written and if followed to work correctly... either that or read through some of that thread... or post questions back to Cyber on that thread, he is very helpful.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC unlocker. Only unlocks the bootloader and does not give you s-off your best beat is to relock using HTC method then downgrading the os and then using the revolutionary method

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You are all right. 605.9. I finally found it the the root thread. I'll have to downgrade and root. Thx all.