12 questions about Custom Roms and related

guapo131

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions that I would really appreciate if someone could answer for me. Some are simple general clarifications, some are for BAMF forever 1.10 specifically. I would appreciate any answers if you only know the answers to a few.

Background: I have a VZW HTC Thunderbolt running 2.11.605.5 rooted on the stock ROM (this is android version 2.3.4). (radio info below). I rooted via the revolutionary.io method. My primary goal for rooting was to allow free wifi tethering (?access point? style (not ad-hoc), which I am currently accomplishing via the opengarden app ? not abusing my unlimited data so as not to throw up any red flags with VZW). Primary goal has been accomplished. My secondary goal is to get the Sense 3.0 experience. I cannot obtain this with the stock 605.5 ROM, so of course I need to flash a custom ROM. It seems that the BAMF ROM series is well known/liked/trusted throughout the community, so I am favoring their ROMs as my first choice for my first ?flash? away from stock.

1. Does the custom ROM come with a kernel automatically? For example, does BAMF forever 1.10 include its own kernel that is likely based off of the stock kernel, but is different in a few ways that make it better/faster/stabler/etc.
2. Do most cooked kernels include the ability to overclock/undervolt? I know you can?t make a 100% statement, but do ?most? include the ability?
3. Assuming a cooked/custom ROM does include its own kernel but does not include the ability to overclock, can you install a DIFFERENT custom kernel over top of the included kernel to allow overclocking/undervolting.
4. Can ANY kernel be installed over top of ANY current kernel. For example, if I?m running 2.11.605.5 VZW stock, can I install an overclock/undervolt kernel over top of the stock ROM?
5. True or false (or clarification): A custom ROM usually (always?) do NOT include a radio. Radios must be flashed separately.
6. True or false: Most gingerbread radios do not work with froyo; Most froyo radios do not work with gingerbread.
7. If you install a ROM that does not support the radio that is currently on the phone (or you install a radio that the current ROM does not support), will you brick the phone? OR will the phone just read ?no signal? (x over the signal bars)? In other words, how critical is it that you get the radio/rom combination correct the first time?
8. What radio do I currently have? I am currently running VZW/HTC stock ROM version 2.11.605.5. From what I read, this is has the same radio as 2.11.605.3. about-phone>software> says that I have these radios: 1.48.00.0906w and 0.01.78.0906w_2. Does this radio have a MR# ? So I would have MR(some # greater than 2)?
9. What radios do BAMF forever 1.10 support? Anything above MR2 (also referred to as MR2+?). Does BAMF 1.10 support the radio that comes with 2.11.605.9? What is the MR# that corresponds to the radio that comes with 2.11.605.9?
10. Radio?s HAVE to be installed the ?manual? method by naming the file ?PG05IMG.zip?, placing in the root of SD card, and actually going into the bootloader.
11. Can ANY custom ROM be installed by the ?ROM Manager? application? I tend to see specific directions for custom ROM creators (like BAMF) that say you need to do all the specific naming and manually go into the bootloader etc?, but the ?ROM manager? app seems SO much easier. You just point the ROM manager app to the file (in any folder, named descriptively any way you want) and the ROM manager sends all the appropriate info to CWM to flash the ROM for you. The ROM manager method seems so much more transparent to the user (easier), and I would of course prefer this method. Is it OK to flash ROMs using Rom Manager app? (if it matters; I am considering flashing the BAMF 1.10)
12. Assuming custom ROMs are OK to install using ROM Manager app? One must also consider that (true/false?) Radios and kernels MUST be installed ?manually? (actually going into the bootloader with perfect naming in the root SD directory etc.). Radios and kernels cannot be flashed with ROM manager.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
1. They come with a kernel that may or may not be custom. I use imo kernel with every rom (different ones for sense or aosp)
2. Usually. I know imo does as does bamf 3++
3. Yes. In fact I often flash the custom kernel immediately after the rom without booting up in between.
4. Aosp and sense have different kernels but you can install one sense kernel right over another one.
5. Radios are flashed separately and in a different way. See the sticky on it.
6. True
7. I've never done it but I think all that would happen is no data. Why find out? Just flash a gb radio with a gb.rom
8. I don't want to think that hard.
9. Any gb radio. I still use the stock gb radio from mr2 whatever it is.
10. Yes
11. I have better luck flashing roms from recovery.
12. True

Reactions: guapo131

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
1. Does the custom ROM come with a kernel automatically? For example, does BAMF forever 1.10 include its own kernel that is likely based off of the stock kernel, but is different in a few ways that make it better/faster/stabler/etc.
I believe it does....I haven't ran BAMF for awhile....but I believe it does

2. Do most cooked kernels include the ability to overclock/undervolt? I know you can?t make a 100% statement, but do ?most? include the ability?
Of all the ROMS I have run, they all can be overclocked.
3. Assuming a cooked/custom ROM does include its own kernel but does not include the ability to overclock, can you install a DIFFERENT custom kernel over top of the included kernel to allow overclocking/undervolting.
I believe you can. I believe BAMF reccommend's Ziggy's Kernals. But i know BAMF cooks all their ROMS with the most stable Kernals.
4. Can ANY kernel be installed over top of ANY current kernel. For example, if I?m running 2.11.605.5 VZW stock, can I install an overclock/undervolt kernel over top of the stock ROM?
Yes, just flash like you normally would do

5. True or false (or clarification): A custom ROM usually (always?) do NOT include a radio. Radios must be flashed separately.
Every ROM I have flashed (Gingeritis, all of BAMF's. Zeus, Liquid, and currently Infected) has the RADIO's.
6. True or false: Most gingerbread radios do not work with froyo; Most froyo radios do not work with gingerbread.
This I don't know....I just install the latest radios. My initial guess is that they aren't capatable....but, that is merely a guess.
7. If you install a ROM that does not support the radio that is currently on the phone (or you install a radio that the current ROM does not support), will you brick the phone? OR will the phone just read ?no signal? (x over the signal bars)? In other words, how critical is it that you get the radio/rom combination correct the first time?
I have never had issues with radio combinations. I have flashed ROMS and then I will flash the Mr3 radio....never had an issue.
10. Radio?s HAVE to be installed the ?manual? method by naming the file ?PG05IMG.zip?, placing in the root of SD card, and actually going into the bootloader.
Yes, they have to be installed that way.
11. Can ANY custom ROM be installed by the ?ROM Manager? application? I tend to see specific directions for custom ROM creators (like BAMF) that say you need to do all the specific naming and manually go into the bootloader etc?, but the ?ROM manager? app seems SO much easier. You just point the ROM manager app to the file (in any folder, named descriptively any way you want) and the ROM manager sends all the appropriate info to CWM to flash the ROM for you. The ROM manager method seems so much more transparent to the user (easier), and I would of course prefer this method. Is it OK to flash ROMs using Rom Manager app? (if it matters; I am considering flashing the BAMF 1.10)
What I do is this, I created a folder on my SD Card called "ROMS". I load all my ROMS that I want there. Then I restart my phone into BOOTLOADER and then I will navigate to my ROM directory and install that way. I have used ROM Manager many times, I just find it easier to do it the old fashioned way.
12. Assuming custom ROMs are OK to install using ROM Manager app? One must also consider that (true/false?) Radios and kernels MUST be installed ?manually? (actually going into the bootloader with perfect naming in the root SD directory etc.). Radios and kernels cannot be flashed with ROM manager.
Yes, FLASH your ROM and then flash your Kernal and then ROM. You are correct, Radios and Kernals can't be flashed with ROM Manager.

Now, I need a nap!

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1-Yes, some are stock HTC and some are slightly tweaked.

2-Yes generally, If not then I'd recommend installing a recent Sense Kernel from "Imoseyon"

3-Yes see above for recommendation. Kernels are overclocked either in a tool/app included in a rom, using a app like "no frills CPU", or using a terminal emulator to open options for the kernel (Imo's kernels can use this method which I like).

4 Yes generally, some kernels don't play nice with some roms but just make a CWR backup if you're scared. Just make sure you instal a Sense Kernel on a Sense Rom and a AOSP kernel on a AOSP rom.

5- ROMs never include/change a radio. As long as you are using MR3+ all ROMs should be compatible.

6- Generally yes (Some earlier gb radios might have worked on froyo). At this stage in Development you should be on GB anyways and have no need to go to froyo so it's not really a big deal.

7- No brick. You'll have no signal and "maybe" a freeze up but going into Hboot/CWR can cure all your issues.

8-I'm running the same radio, I believe it's MR3. The radio from 2.11.605.9 is not needed from any roms that I know of. But you might as well flash it in Hboot. I haven't since I'm lazy and my current radio has been great.
Radio from the new update 2.11.605.9 - RootzWiki - Page 9

9- BAMF should support MR3, MR4 (what some are calling the 2.11.605.9 radio), and maybe MR2. I don't know of anyone still on MR2 though so it's not really of importance.

10- Yes. Remember to delete/rename them once finished so that if you have a bad freeze up and need to manually get to CWR via Hboot it doesn't try and reinstall which is annoying.

11- Yes it will work but... I don't like using RM since I've had issues where it will not wipe completely or not reboot into CWR without me doing so myself. I feel RM is a bit of a crutch as some times which can get people into trouble if something goes slightly wrong since they will not be familiar with doing it the manual way. I use CWR exclusively to do the wiping and flashing and find it no slower than RM. The only thing I use RM for is to update CWR.

12-Kernels can be flashed with "Kernel Manager" or in CWR just like flashing a ROM. Radios must always be installed via Hboot/Bootloader. I also always manually instal Kernels in CWR and don't use Kernal manager. Wipe only Cache and Dalvik for Kernals. Wipe Data, Cache, and Dalvik for ROMs.

edit: well I should have refreshed the page to see someone already answered

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Most of your questions have been answered, so I'm not gonna go down the whole list...here's some highlights:

Radios must be flashed in HBOOT and therefore CANNOT be included with a ROM. Radios must be installed separately. I do not claim to be an all-knowing expert, but this is one piece of information I can assure I'm 100% correct about.

Although every software version since MR2 (froyo) runs on the same radios (so very few people still have versions that old), *if* you were to install a ROM on a phone with an incompatible radio, you'd just get no data or radio signal...it should not brick the phone.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to clairify that if you are running 605.5 you do not need to do anything to your radio. Its in seperate file area this is uneffected when you flash a ROM. I have only flashed one radio, and that was the newest one. So as long as your current radio works now, and works fine one your new rom you can leave it.

sent from my infected thunderbolt

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The Radio that you have now will work fine on BAMF Forever 1.10. So you will not have to flash a new radio. Overclocking and such can be done through BAMF settings so if you load Forever you won't need set CPU or other apps. Although loading ROM may seem easier via ROM Manager I would suggest doing it via recovery. Reason being if you install a kernel you will have to do it via recovery anyway so you might as well get used to it. If you used Revolutionary and checked the video on You Tube by Nat3mil he also has a videos on how to flash radios, Kernels and ROMs. On the How to Install Custom ROMs onto the Thunderbolt By Nat3mil start at 3:25 mark. This is where you learn to flash the ROMs via recovery. If you load Forever 1.10 I would also suggest loading the kernel 2.6.35.10 beta test3. There are several kernels there, the 3++ is the best for the Forever ROM. Others say Imo or other kernels are better but hey ADR wrote the Forever ROM and compiled the kernel so I go with that one besides the BAMF forum can be your one stop shop for everything you need.
Before you flash your custom ROM
1. Make sure to backup your stock ROM that way you will have something to fall back on if something goes wrong.
2. Get Titanium Backup from the market and backup all of your apps. If you play games you can also backup your data so you will still be on level # of game ... when you get everything settled in.
3. Make sure your Google account is synced. After flashing your new ROM Google will reload all of your apps contacts and etc. Titanium Backup is just in case Google misses something and Tibu can restore the data to some apps that you might need.
4. Download your ROM, kernel, and put them on your SD card in a file the you can find easy. Also be sure to check the md5 sums to be sure you have a good download.
5. After flashing the ROM let it settle in. This is the hardest part the ROM needs time to build the new cache files and such. Google needs to restore your apps so go through the steps after the install and let Google do it's thing and walk away for an hour. I know you will be chomping at the bit because you want to play with it but just let it be for a while.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out or point you to someone who has an answer that I don't have. Good Luck!

guapo131

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Everyone here has been soooo helpful. Thank you all so much (and I did too). I really appreciate all the help. You have collectively answered all my questions (and quickly too). I am so pleased with androidcentral. The android mod community is AWESOME! THANKS!

And I am going to LOVE my new BAMF’d thunderbolt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463