HTC Thunderbolt revolutionary root, ota accidentally installed

Frandiglious

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
NEED HELP! i have an HTC Thunderbolt. i rooted the device with revolutionary. shortly after, i accidentally accepted an ota update to the latest firmware. now, when i try to get into recovery, i get a white HTC screen, and then the update screen (black with a picture of the device and a green downward arrow) and after a few seconds, the arrow turns red. the device is fully functional, but i can not get into recovery. i would like to clear the cache and re-root using a custom rom to avoid this issue in the first place. i am new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. i have found a couple of videos on youtube on unrooting, but the stock firmware file needed to do so has been removed from the internet it seems. any ideas??

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you hold down power and volume at power up, it should get you into recovery. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Frandiglious

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC Thunderbolt revolutionary root, ota accidentally installe

thank you for the reply, but i understand how to get to recovery...my problem is when i select it, it automatically tries to software update. it doesnt even make it into recovery.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

take your SD card out and put it in an adapter and put it in your computer, and delete the update file... it should be named the PG05IMG...then try booting back into recovery, find new ROM, download, put in SD card, and then flash new ROM...

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Also, check out Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the market. It's free and allows you to regain root access if you accidentally install an OTA that takes it away. I used it on my Transformer Prime and it worked so I installed it on my Bolt in case I ever need it, but I'm AOSP so I shouldn't.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

When you try to go into recovery does it say s on or s off? if it's on you've lost root and will need to flash a 2.11.605.5 RUU and reroot.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm guessing your CWM was overwritten and you just need to flash it again. if you re-run the revolutionary tool, it will tell you it's already S-Off and you can then flash the latest CWM recovery to the device. try that out.

or here, you can flash cwm from the bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179386

assuming you are still S-off, but you should be since revolutionary is a permanent S-Off...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers