Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By defcon999
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just a quick general recovery question...

When you use CWM to make a backup, are the backups saved on the micro SD card, or on the phone itself?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed

Default Re: Just a quick general recovery question...

On the micro SD card. clockwokmod/backup folder

Yes, they are saved to the SD card. Also, be aware that the backups are usually anywhere from 500MB to 1GB+ in size, so you'll want to delete older ones if you find you're making backups frequently, as they do take up quite a bit of space.

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Yes, they are saved to the SD card. Also, be aware that the backups are usually anywhere from 500MB to 1GB+ in size, so you'll want to delete older ones if you find you're making backups frequently, as they do take up quite a bit of space.
    +1

I would also reccommend renaming them also. You can use a file manager program and/or hook your phone up, navigate to the CLOCKWORKMOD directory and rename them. For example, I have BAMF 1.11, Infected and IKream ROMS backed up and they are named as such, that way I know which is which.

I have also heard this mentioned before. When you make a NADROID backup back up from the Recovery screen. Press the power button until the reboot screen comes up, then pick RESTART and then RECOVERY. Make your backup from there.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Always make sure when renaming CWM recovery backups you do it with the following style of format...

filename_backup.xxx

or

filename-backup.xxx

DO NOT USE SPACES, 99% OF THE TIME IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE FILE FOR RESTORE.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    Ed Witles likes this.

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Always make sure when renaming CWM recovery backups you do it with the following style of format...

filename_backup.xxx

or

filename-backup.xxx

[HL]
    DO NOT USE SPACES, 99% OF THE TIME IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE FILE FOR RESTORE.[/HL]
    You are right...oversight on my part. I thought everyone knew that you use underscore. That is a pet peeve of mine....especially at work. People name their files with "." all the time. I correct them. I never allow spaces...always "_"

Mine are named

BAMF_111
    Infected_191
    SoaB_104
    Gingeritis_3D
    iKream

I only have Infected and iKream currently backed up.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog
    Paul627g likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Heh, I feel kinda bad so many people jumped in on here, as I was only asking because I sold my (rooted) Thunderbolt, but kept the memory card, and I just wanted to make sure the person I sold it to couldn't load up one of my restores and have access to my info, buy stuff on the Market with my credit card, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Heh, I feel kinda bad so many people jumped in on here, as I was only asking because I sold my (rooted) Thunderbolt, but kept the memory card, and I just wanted to make sure the person I sold it to couldn't load up one of my restores and have access to my info, buy stuff on the Market with my credit card, etc.
    Oh, in that case you should be fine...but hopefully you did do a factory reset on the device to clear all current data off of it!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yep, took care of that. I assume doing the factory reset through CM7 (the ROM I had installed on there) still erases everything (but leaves CM7 on it), right?

Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Don't feel bad, if anything its a wake up call to many who make this mistake of improper renaming or usage of Nandroid backup/restores...

Its all about sharing and educating everyone in the community
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central