ROM question?

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my phone last night using Revolutionary (thanks all for the tech support and help). I am looking for a ROM with tethering and better battery life, leaning toward Gingervitis. As I'm currently running Sense 2.1, would Gingervitis be okay? Also, do I need to install a seperate kernel or radio? Would either improve data speed or battery life? Sorry, I'm still a noob but I've been reading a lot, trying to avoid FAQs and stuff that's been discussed

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my phone last night using Revolutionary (thanks all for the tech support and help). I am looking for a ROM with tethering and better battery life, leaning toward Gingervitis. As I'm currently running Sense 2.1, would Gingervitis be okay? Also, do I need to install a seperate kernel or radio? Would either improve data speed or battery life? Sorry, I'm still a noob but I've been reading a lot, trying to avoid FAQs and stuff that's been discussed

Have you tried conditioning your battery?.....I can't remember the thread for that, but you can search "Conditioning your battery". The thing with battery life is that it is a lot up to the user. If you charge your phone and just leave it...then your battery will last all day and then some. But, if you use it moderately to heavy, then maybe a day. You can always buy the REZOUND battery and put it in your Thunderbolt....yes, it does fit and that will give you better battery performance.

Also, Gingeritis is a great ROM that I have ran a few times. As far as tethering?, you can download "Barnicle Tether" and that should get you going.

The Kernal comes with the ROM itself. You can download separate Kernals (i.e. Ziggy), but I haven't. The latest radio out is Mr4. I don't know if Gingeristis is using that one, but you can flash to that one without a problem. I have Mr2, Mr3 and Mr4 on my phone and can flash to whatever one I want at anytime.

I believe Gingeritis is SENSE 3.0. I know Infected Eternity is SENSE 3.5.

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried conditioning your battery?.....I can't remember the thread for that, but you can search "Conditioning your battery". The thing with battery life is that it is a lot up to the user. If you charge your phone and just leave it...then your battery will last all day and then some. But, if you use it moderately to heavy, then maybe a day. You can always buy the REZOUND battery and put it in your Thunderbolt....yes, it does fit and that will give you better battery performance.

Also, Gingeritis is a great ROM that I have ran a few times. As far as tethering?, you can download "Barnicle Tether" and that should get you going.

The Kernal comes with the ROM itself. You can download separate Kernals (i.e. Ziggy), but I haven't. The latest radio out is Mr4. I don't know if Gingeristis is using that one, but you can flash to that one without a problem. I have Mr2, Mr3 and Mr4 on my phone and can flash to whatever one I want at anytime.

I believe Gingeritis is SENSE 3.0. I know Infected Eternity is SENSE 3.5.

I was going to condition the battery after I installed a new ROM that I liked. What are the differences in the radios? If Gingeritis is 3.0 can I still flash it running Sense 2.1?

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
"What are the differences in the radios?"
Differences in radios varies from phone to phone. What radio works well on my phone may not work well on yours. You can swap radios and find the best one for your phone. The radio in the latest OTA seems to work well for most.
"If Gingeritis is 3.0 can I still flash it running Sense 2.1?"
Yes. You are on an operating system that uses 2.1. When you flash another ROM you are changing the operating system. Therefore after changing ROMs you will be on whatever system the chosen ROM is based on 2.1, 3.0, 3.5, or AOSP. HTH
FWIW BAMF has very nice ROMs too. SkyRaider has a built in tethering app and very good support.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Im using Gingeritis 3D v1.2 and it has been a incredible rom for life and tethering, I installed the imoseyon_leanKernel_v5.1.0GBS kernel from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1260185 and clocked to 1.4 and it has been so stable for me..

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks all for the answers. I just finished up with Gingeritis 3D v1.2 and so far I love it. Kernels may come eventually, a little nervous about overclocking so I'll have to read up on the forums. Using an application such as Barnicle tether (like mentioned above), will VZW charge me for MHS, or will they simply see my data use and nothing else. I just bought an Acer A200 and want to tether to it on the road, but can't justify paying $30 a month. If Barnicle, or another app, will do the trick I'll test it out immediately. Thanks for all the continued support and answers to, what I am sure are, newb questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol