Downgrade .9 to .5 & saving apps

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm (still) thinking about rooting my Tbolt. I have the latest OTA .9 and i know i have to downgrade to .5 but i'm concerned about data loss. My contacts are backed up by VZW, i don't care about losing SMS/MMS, and i know the SD card isn't affected... but what about my apps from the Market (ya i know, i refuse to call it the new name...but that's another thread :p ) and Appstore? How do i keep my apps? Everything i've read about backing up is for after rooting. And is there anything else that will be wiped from my phone that i should be concerned about?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You will lose all app data settings. You can back up the apk using mybackup pro. But you will still lose all data associated with app. Currently there is no way to root without lossing some data. But trust its worth it

Reactions: redcat22

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You will lose all app data settings. You can back up the apk using mybackup pro. But you will still lose all data associated with app. Currently there is no way to root without lossing some data. But trust its worth it

+1 on the data loss.

If you are talking about game data...I think you will be out of luck unless the game itself will allow it from within the program.

Try moving the game to the SD card if you can. There is a program in the "MARKET" called "App2SD". I have used it, but I can't verify that it moves the DATA to the SD card, only the program itself.

You might have to bite the bullet and ROOT and then from there on out, you will be good to go.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Cool. That doesn't sound bad. Most of my apps are games so it's not a big deal if that's the only data that gets wiped. I will look into those apps you have suggested. Thank you. I guess you have to take a step back before you can take two steps forward. ;)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Cool. That doesn't sound bad. Most of my apps are games so it's not a big deal if that's the only data that gets wiped. I will look into those apps you have suggested. Thank you. I guess you have to take a step back before you can take two steps forward. ;)

You will also lose login information (i.e. FaceBook) which isn't a big deal, but for me, I have a lot of apps that I have to log into (i.e. DailyBible, YouVersion Bible etc.) and it is a pain to remember the poasswords. I do use ROBOFORM for that.

So, if you don't mind losing the game data then go for it. I would though recommend downloading MyBackup Pro and backing up everything BUT the SYSTEM Settings. You can download your homescreen and dctionary and contacts and playlists. As long as you are running a SENSE ROM you can restore your homescreen to the way it looked before.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
+1 on the data loss.

If you are talking about game data...I think you will be out of luck unless the game itself will allow it from within the program.

Try moving the game to the SD card if you can. There is a program in the "MARKET" called "App2SD". I have used it, but I can't verify that it moves the DATA to the SD card, only the program itself.

You might have to bite the bullet and ROOT and then from there on out, you will be good to go.

There are several App2SD apps to choose from but essentially all did the same thing. None advertised being able to save data which is fine. Not a big deal. I actually thought it could force an app to SD but it can't. I'm just not sure why this app is useful on the TBolt. The main purpose is simply to notify you that the app you dl can be stored on your SD card or provide storage information. The Tbolt does that already, although not quite with a notification. I have a shortcut on my homescreen to the "manage apps" menu which shows the apps that are on the SD card *and* the apps that can be stored on it. If there isn't a check mark next to the app, i move it to SD. Is there more to this app than i'm seeing?

There are a few versions of MyBackup as well, Free 30 day trial, Pro $5, and Root (free). Would it be too simple to dl free version, root Tbolt, and then dl Titanium Backup to save $5?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
There are several App2SD apps to choose from but essentially all did the same thing. None advertised being able to save data which is fine. Not a big deal. I actually thought it could force an app to SD but it can't. I'm just not sure why this app is useful on the TBolt. The main purpose is simply to notify you that the app you dl can be stored on your SD card or provide storage information. The Tbolt does that already, although not quite with a notification. I have a shortcut on my homescreen to the "manage apps" menu which shows the apps that are on the SD card *and* the apps that can be stored on it. If there isn't a check mark next to the app, i move it to SD. Is there more to this app than i'm seeing?

There are a few versions of MyBackup as well, Free 30 day trial, Pro $5, and Root (free). Would it be too simple to dl free version, root Tbolt, and then dl Titanium Backup to save $5?

Just as an FYI, the whole "app2SD" thing was really about resolving issues with older phones that had very small amounts of internal storage, making it difficult to install more than a few apps without running out of space. There's really very little need to worry about moving your apps to the SD card on today's newer phones -- in fact, I'd recommend against it if you want top performance. Doing this process, to the best of my knowledge, does not preserve the app data from deletion during a data wipe (factory reset or ROM install), it's more about preserving internal storage space.