Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Cool [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updates

    Hi guys! This is a set of recovery zips that disable or re-enable OTA updates.

    *Insert Disclaimer* Not responsible for any damages

    ----------------------------------------

    This zip will disable OTA updates.

    Download:

    ----------------------------------------

    This zip will re-enable OTA updates.

    Download:

    ----------------------------------------

    Enjoy!

    Source code availible at


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  2. #2  

    Default

    Are these necessary if you'really rooted? I'm running thundershed, not stock.

    Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.
  3. #3  
    blackjaguar25's Avatar
    Thunderbolter

    Posts
    595 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default

    Thank you! Just flashed them. You only need then if you're stock rooted.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    Thank you! Just flashed them. You only need then if you're stock rooted.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Did you flash both? You only need to flash the disabling one


    Sent from my iPad (the one with no name :P ) using Tapatalk


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  5. #5  
    blackjaguar25's Avatar
    Thunderbolter

    Posts
    595 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trter10-2 View Post
    Did you flash both? You only need to flash the disabling one


    Sent from my iPad (the one with no name :P ) using Tapatalk
    Yeah I just flashed the disabling one. I may be slow, but not that slow.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    Yeah I just flashed the disabling one. I may be slow, but not that slow.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Haha ok good, just making sure since you said just flashed them

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  7. #7  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Hopefully HTC consider add this as a option in OS..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Sorry for the noob question... Can someone please provide steps on how to flash the disabling OTA zip?

    I rooted my TB awhile ago thanks to the detailed Revolutionary instructions but haven't really played around other than that so before I royally screw things up, hoping for some help...

    Thanks
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonoe View Post
    Sorry for the noob question... Can someone please provide steps on how to flash the disabling OTA zip?

    I rooted my TB awhile ago thanks to the detailed Revolutionary instructions but haven't really played around other than that so before I royally screw things up, hoping for some help...

    Thanks
    Put the zip on the sdcard, power off, hold volume down and power until hboot shows up, wait a few seconds, use volume to scroll and power to select, select recovery, when recovery comes up select install zip from SD, choose zip from SD, then scroll until you find OTABlock.zip, select it, hit yes, once it flashes, hit the back button and select reboot system now.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  10. #10  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Thanks! Appreciate the steps...
  11. #11  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    I installed this but my phone still tried to update and gave me error. Suggestions? I'm on rooted stock
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y2bandit View Post
    I installed this but my phone still tried to update and gave me error. Suggestions? I'm on rooted stock
    What was the error

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  13. #13  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Hopefully HTC consider add this as a option in OS..
    VERY DOUBTFUL. Remember, only those who have rooted their phones have to worry about this, and even though HTC *kind of* supports this, Verizon would probably never allow them to distribute tools to circumvent updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by leonoe View Post
    Sorry for the noob question... Can someone please provide steps on how to flash the disabling OTA zip?

    I rooted my TB awhile ago thanks to the detailed Revolutionary instructions but haven't really played around other than that so before I royally screw things up, hoping for some help...

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trter10-2 View Post
    Put the zip on the sdcard, power off, hold volume down and power until hboot shows up, wait a few seconds, use volume to scroll and power to select, select recovery, when recovery comes up select install zip from SD, choose zip from SD, then scroll until you find OTABlock.zip, select it, hit yes, once it flashes, hit the back button and select reboot system now.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Very important part of this step: MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE A PG05IMG.zip FILE ON THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD BEFORE BOOTING INTO HBOOT!

    Second, here is what I find to be an even easier way to reboot into recovery (if you don't have it as a power off option as some custom ROMs do):

    Install a app.
    Open it, and at the prompt type:
    Code:
    su -
    reboot recovery
    (You will have to allow root access to terminal after typing "su -")

    Your phone will automatically reboot into Recovery.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    tropper's Avatar
    Smarty Pants

    Posts
    827 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Okay I had the forced update yesterday and I went into error mode upon installation, every time I rebooted or booted from recovery the install process would restart. I tried the blocker but it was too late. I had to factory reset. I am wondering now that all the factory files are reset (ie the factory verizon api's are back to the original permissions) would it be ok to accept the update now? I rooted through revolutionary and kept it stock, cept moving some bloatware?
    Whatdaya think?
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    I wouldn't. It can still cause errors

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    tropper's Avatar
    Smarty Pants

    Posts
    827 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Quote Originally Posted by trter10-2 View Post
    I wouldn't. It can still cause errors

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    I kind of figured, I dont wanna factory reset again.
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T
  17. #17  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Quote Originally Posted by tropper View Post
    Okay I had the forced update yesterday and I went into error mode upon installation, every time I rebooted or booted from recovery the install process would restart. I tried the blocker but it was too late. I had to factory reset. I am wondering now that all the factory files are reset (ie the factory verizon api's are back to the original permissions) would it be ok to accept the update now? I rooted through revolutionary and kept it stock, cept moving some bloatware?
    Whatdaya think?
    Quote Originally Posted by trter10-2 View Post
    I wouldn't. It can still cause errors

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    My understanding is one of the big problems is that during the rooting process you replace the default recovery partition with a custom one (i.e. ClockworkMod), which is what actually causes the update to fail, because it's attempting to use the stock recovery to install it (which is no longer there).

    It doesn't matter if you're running stock OS because you've modified your bootloader and recovery partitions.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    My understanding is one of the big problems is that during the rooting process you replace the default recovery partition with a custom one (i.e. ClockworkMod), which is what actually causes the update to fail, because it's attempting to use the stock recovery to install it (which is no longer there).

    It doesn't matter if you're running stock OS because you've modified your bootloader and recovery partitions.
    The modified bootloader doesn't matter, it is in fact the recovery like you said.


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updat

    all you have to do its rename the ota certz no need to install anything.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    trter10-imore's Avatar
    ThunderboltTool Developer

    Posts
    744 Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    all you have to do its rename the ota certz no need to install anything.
    Yes well this makes it easy for unskilled people


    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  21. #21  

    Default Re: [Recovery zips] Disable or re-enable Over-The-Air (OTA) updates

    Following the link it says the file was not found. Thanks

Posting Permissions

B