Display not Turning Off During Calls

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Gingeritis v1.2 and the display no longer is turning off when I hold the phone to my face. So I end up cheek dialing unless I manually turn off the screen. It used to work after updating to Gingeritis and then stopped probably like a month ago. I did a complete system erase and reinstalled Gingeritis hoping it would help, but didnt. I'm not sure if it's the phone screen or ROM that's the ussue.

What can I do?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Gingeritis v1.2 and the display no longer is turning off when I hold the phone to my face. So I end up cheek dialing unless I manually turn off the screen. It used to work after updating to Gingeritis and then stopped probably like a month ago. I did a complete system erase and reinstalled Gingeritis hoping it would help, but didnt. I'm not sure if it's the phone screen or ROM that's the ussue.

What can I do?

I'm having the same problem and wondering if there is a fix.

skeet43169

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's been like that from day one that sensor is very sensitive I think it will go off but it don't like to stay of

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It used to work before. Seems like the sensor sensitivity is going down over time or the ROM is messing with it.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Look in the market for the app called : "phone tester"
(icon looks like a microchip)

With this app you'll be able to see if it detects if it's working and it will display light levels, cover the sensor with your finger tip you'll see. But I don't think you can calibrate, though it does show the manufacturer of the sensor.

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Solved!!

I found a solution online. This fixed my proximity sensor issue. 1st post is the solution.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...42050-thunderbolt-proximity-sensor-issue.html

Thunderbolt Proximity Sensor Issue

I purchased a T-bolt on release day and recently started having issues with the proximity sensor not turning off the screen during calls. I troubleshooted it by testing the auto-brightness feature, which did not work as well.

I found the fix online in a thread about the HTC Desire.

Apparently, the gap between the top of the screen and the earpiece (near the proximity sensor) allows dust in, which causes the sensor to not work.

You fix this by simply blowing air into the gap.
I did battery pulls, reboots, and installed the "Sanity" app to try and fix the sensor/troubleshoot. None of this worked, but blowing into the gap instantly fixed it.

I hope this helps anyone having this same issue.

I don't have an air complressor, so I just blew hard into the earpiece. Now the proximity sensor changes from FAR to NEAR when I place my finger over the ear piece. Genius!

Look in the market for the app called : "phone tester"
(icon looks like a microchip)

With this app you'll be able to see if it detects if it's working and it will display light levels, cover the sensor with your finger tip you'll see. But I don't think you can calibrate, though it does show the manufacturer of the sensor.

Thanks for the app suggestion. Awesome app! It was showing that my proximity sensor only displayed "FAR" even when placd next to my face.

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
OMG! blowing into the earpiece fixed it! I have a note 2 and was about to send it in. Looks like it was the same problem. Thanks

Glad this helped you out! I just got a Note 2 and it's nice to know that this may help out my new phone as well.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2