ok, at my wit's end with this phone...and rooting.

epicness

May 13, 2012
Visit site
first thing...this is the first phone i have actually really tried to root. it's my fiancee's phone she just got (said she read a lot of reviews that praised it...i'm far from impressed) and it's performance is so awful i am planning to root it in hopes of improvement. the battery seemingly lasts 15 minutes on a full charge (slight exaggeration, i'm agitated), it drops signal like it's hot (lol) and is just kinda laggy in general. i'm hoping rooting will allow me to install a new radio which will consume less voltage and hopefully do a better job at maintaining signal.

anyway, here's why i'm frustrated. every root method i try, i run into some roadblock. something that just won't work. and i'm about fed up. almost ready to give in and pay someone to root this agitating phone. i've been trying for 2 days. i feel ed...i jailbroke my first iPhone in like an hour...but i can't get this to work. the latest attempt, i was using trter10's root tool...it seemed stupidly easy...but i ran into ANOTHER roadblock. this time, my HBOOT was too old. it's running version 1.03.000. the oldest Revolutionary supports is 1.04.

i google searched how to update HBOOT drivers and i thought i'd found it. i downloaded the drivers, put the phone in HBOOT USB mode, plugged it in and did everything it said...yet, it still shows 1.03. i just want to root this d*mn thing. it shouldn't be this hard. i downloaded the HTC Fastboot drivers...when i click on them to open, they act like they are opening but then do nothing at all. are they installing somewhere on my computer and giving me no indication? or are they just not working altogether? if they aren't working...what do i need to do next?

i've tried the Revolutionary method...would have really been revolutionary had it worked. i know this shouldn't be this hard...getting frustrated spending hours on the computer to get nothing. can someone, anyone, PLEASE help me? i want to get this thing rooted the next time i sit down to try it...no bones about it...just get it done. :confused:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the phone is running old software. Before trying to root, I'd flash one of the last two versions (see below), then use the All in One tool to root (http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...acks/179367-all-one-htc-thunderbolt-tool.html).

Below are the direct links hosted on Minus.com:

2.11.605.9 RUU
Thunderbolt Ruu's - Minus

MD5: 013cbdd3a9b28bc894631008fa2148e2

This is the previous release from back in December 2011 that still has the hyperlink functionality the latest software version (2.11.605.19) took away due to Apple (see link below).

How to restore the functionality the Apple v HTC war has taken away [root] | Android Central

or

2.11.605.19 RUU (latest version from April 2012):
Thunderbolt_2.11.605.19_PG05IMG - Minus

• After downloading the RUU, rename it to "PG05IMG.zip" Note: If you're doing this from a Windows machine, make sure you don't rename the file "PG05IMG.zip.zip," as Windows hides known file extensions by default.
• Drop the file on the root of the SD Card
• Turn off your device
• Hold Volume Down + Power to reboot into the bootloader -- the file should automatically be detected and the flashing process will begin.
• Wait for your device to complete the process and reboot
• Delete the PG05IMG.zip off the SD card or move it off the root directory to prevent the phone from accidentally starting the flash process again should you attempt to get into the bootloader in the future.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the phone is running old software. Before trying to root, I'd flash one of the last two versions (see below), then use the All in One tool to root (http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...acks/179367-all-one-htc-thunderbolt-tool.html).

Below are the direct links hosted on Minus.com:

2.11.605.9 RUU
Thunderbolt Ruu's - Minus

MD5: 013cbdd3a9b28bc894631008fa2148e2

This is the previous release from back in December 2011 that still has the hyperlink functionality the latest software version (2.11.605.19) took away due to Apple (see link below).

How to restore the functionality the Apple v HTC war has taken away [root] | Android Central

or

2.11.605.19 RUU (latest version from April 2012):
Thunderbolt_2.11.605.19_PG05IMG - Minus

? After downloading the RUU, rename it to "PG05IMG.zip" Note: If you're doing this from a Windows machine, make sure you don't rename the file "PG05IMG.zip.zip," as Windows hides known file extensions by default.
? Drop the file on the root of the SD Card
? Turn off your device
? Hold Volume Down + Power to reboot into the bootloader -- the file should automatically be detected and the flashing process will begin.
? Wait for your device to complete the process and reboot
? Delete the PG05IMG.zip off the SD card or move it off the root directory to prevent the phone from accidentally starting the flash process again should you attempt to get into the bootloader in the future.

+1 on all the above. The ALL IN ONE method is soooooooooooooo easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20