Selling a rooted phone (getting a new phone)

zig123

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC Thurderbolted running Android 2.3.4 and HTC Sense 3.5 . It's a good phone and is in great condition. I want to sell it already rooted. Sense 3.5 is better than stock Gingerbread. Of course I want to be sure to remove all personal data info first. Normally I would do a factory reset but have read "No! If you have a rooted phone and a custom ROM, you should NEVER do a factory reset. You will brick your phone that way." Now I wouldn't sell anyone a bricked phone; I have a 100% rating on ebay.
So if this is true what's the best way to remove personal data and not "brick" the phone??

Zig

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, unfortunately, it's very difficult to COMPLETELY wipe your phone. If someone is very determined to get at your info, they're gonna find a way. However, normal people won't be able to find anything if you just do a thorough wipe.

A factory reset will not brick your phone. We do that every time we flash a new ROM. If I were going to wipe my phone before sale, I'd flash superwipe, and then I'd manually wipe cache, data, dalvik, and then go into Mounts and Storage and format everything except the sd card. I'd then re-flash the stock ROM, remove the sd card, and sell it to them.

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC Thurderbolted running Android 2.3.4 and HTC Sense 3.5 . It's a good phone and is in great condition. I want to sell it already rooted. Sense 3.5 is better than stock Gingerbread. Of course I want to be sure to remove all personal data info first. Normally I would do a factory reset but have read "No! If you have a rooted phone and a custom ROM, you should NEVER do a factory reset. You will brick your phone that way." Now I wouldn't sell anyone a bricked phone; I have a 100% rating on ebay.
So if this is true what's the best way to remove personal data and not "brick" the phone??

Zig

how much?

zig123

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll see what it brings; I figure between $100 and $150 besides the stock battery I have a Groilla 2750 mAps with back and a NiteIze case. Of course still have the original batt and back if they don't like the pregnant guppy look.

Zig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair