First time looking to root

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So I've had the TBolt since day 1 (I absolutely hate it now, but I don't want to upgrade and lose my data..), but since I have it still, I figure I might as well use the data I have and take advantage of Verizon. I've never rooted before, so reading all of these terms and different methods on the forums is super confusing for newbies, it's hard to keep up with what versions are newer or working/not working anymore.

Basically, I just want to root my phone to anything that will still make it work how it does now, but with the newest version of Android that is stable, and have a way to use wireless hotspot for free. I read somewhere though that rooting doesn't give wireless hotspot access anymore? Could anyone point me to a tutorial that is updated recently and gives me access to hotspot?

Thank you

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I rooted using the sticky at the top of this section. At first I did it just to get rid of all the bloatware. When the BAMF ICS leak came out, I followed the directions again on how to flash a ROM. Battery life was few steps below pathetic with my extended battery so I moved on to Liquid's ICS rom (now being updated by twisted). Much better, but I had issues with data drops. I had to turn off and on date (toggle) to get it to start working several times a day. I tried NuSense, but couldn't keep bluetooth working right and the lag was annoying. I'm running Thundershed now, and unless you really know the difference in all the stuff out there, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference between Thundershed and an ICS rom (other than Thundershed doesn't have the bugs since it's a GB rom)

I started with Titanium back pro up for backing up apps and data. Somewhere along the lines I also got My backup pro. I also got 4 ext recovery for flashing roms somewhere (I think it was in Jesters flash of Liquids Rom). You'll also need to download an app called busybox, which no one ever seems to mention. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on either the sticky here, or on the first post of the ROM you want to flash.

wolf howl

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery life compared to the stock ROM on Thundershed? That's the one I keep seeing repeated as the most stable.

I just rooted last week, and did a friends TB too, and mostly was to remove the bloat but I also got the wireless hotspot working now so that's nice when we got on trips or in the car with the tablets. I'm using Barnacle Wifi Tether from the market as the app to make it work.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery life compared to the stock ROM on Thundershed? That's the one I keep seeing repeated as the most stable.

I just rooted last week, and did a friends TB too, and mostly was to remove the bloat but I also got the wireless hotspot working now so that's nice when we got on trips or in the car with the tablets. I'm using Barnacle Wifi Tether from the market as the app to make it work.

Battery life is great. For me, it's better than every other ROM, and I highly recommend it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So I've had the TBolt since day 1 (I absolutely hate it now, but I don't want to upgrade and lose my data..), but since I have it still, I figure I might as well use the data I have and take advantage of Verizon. I've never rooted before, so reading all of these terms and different methods on the forums is super confusing for newbies, it's hard to keep up with what versions are newer or working/not working anymore.

Basically, I just want to root my phone to anything that will still make it work how it does now, but with the newest version of Android that is stable, and have a way to use wireless hotspot for free. I read somewhere though that rooting doesn't give wireless hotspot access anymore? Could anyone point me to a tutorial that is updated recently and gives me access to hotspot?

Thank you

Rooting will breathe new life into your Bolt, and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Just use trter's All-In-One Tool to root, and then decide which ROM you want to flash. I prefer Thundershed, but if you want to stick with a Sense based ROM, I think ThunderStick Full Blown is a good one to get you started. Both have the ability to turn the phone into a hotspot, as do most ROMs.

After you root and you're ready to flash a ROM, just let me know if you have any questions. Once you do it a couple times, it will become very easy, but be careful, you might become a flashaholic!

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same basic question- will rooting keep the thing from dropping data signals and restarting? I don't care a whole lot about the look and feel, I just want it to be stable.

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the same basic question- will rooting keep the thing from dropping data signals and restarting? I don't care a whole lot about the look and feel, I just want it to be stable.

I can only speak for me, but on Thundershed, I only experience the data drop problem once or twice a month. If we knew what was causing the data drops, it would be easier to answer definitively. There are a lot of theories out there by people who probably know way more about this stuff than I do, but I think it has to do with the hand-off from tower to tower. It's almost like the phone isn't sure which tower to lock on to, so it cycles between them until one is clearly stronger than the other. I have no idea if I'm right, but when I do get data drops, I know I'm in between two towers according to an app I used to use that pinpointed towers for me.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
my fav sense roms are eternity for GB ROM and Nusense for ICS. For AOSP thundershed is great, and twistedumbrella's AOKP ICS is g reat too, but its got a few bugs, like the white screen on facebook and gmail,and video camera and netflix dont work on it

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
my fav sense roms are eternity for GB ROM and Nusense for ICS. For AOSP thundershed is great, and twistedumbrella's AOKP ICS is g reat too, but its got a few bugs, like the white screen on facebook and gmail,and video camera and netflix dont work on it

I've been on Twisted's ROM for a while now and I rarely have the problem w/ facebook and haven't experienced it w/ gmail. But I had the same experience w/ Nusense.
Video Camera and Netflix are definitely busted....but I just dropped my Netflix so it's not much of a problem now. ;)

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I used the Revolution root method - very cool & very easy. Then installed Wireless Tether and some ad block apps and an uninstall app. I think I'm leaving it at that for now. That's all I needed. Wireless Tether is VERY cool. Very easy. And very free!

Last edited:

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure which method to use.. Revolutionary or the All-In-One method. One states that I'd need to downgrade or gain temp root access, while the other doesn't mention it. Does the all-in-one method not require me to downgrade/gain temp root before doing everything and will it still keep my data?

I also read the rom tutorial and it got confusing when it went into all the methods and then something about radios.. If I rooted, could I just keep it like that without flashing any rom (keep whatever it is that came with my phone), but still download an app or something to give me wireless tether for my unlimited data? and also something that lets me take screen shots?

Edit: tried the all-in-one, but said it couldn't do anything because the "here" file was currently being used by something else..

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you post in trter's thread about the problem? He's extremely helpful. I'd help but I didn't run into that, so I have no idea how to fix it.

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I tried redownloading and restarting, but do you know if this will wipe all of my data when using the all in one tool? or will it keep everything I have? I don't think I'll put a rom on there, I just want to root it in order to get tether and a screenshot ability.

Also, I didn't see any directions on how to use that tool, just the prep instructions. Do you know where to find a good video or a walk through before I open it up and get stuck?

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Scratch that, I used the revolutionary method and it seemed to work. I downloaded barnacle but for some reason this pops up: Barnacle had trouble starting wpa_supplicant then asks me if I want to skip or something. Is there any way to fix that or a better app to use? I heard Wifi Tether, but when I search for it in the app store a million different things pop up.. which one should I use? (what's the icon and dev name?)

Also, what a good screenshot app to use that doesn't require me to connect to my PC?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Scratch that, I used the revolutionary method and it seemed to work. I downloaded barnacle but for some reason this pops up: Barnacle had trouble starting wpa_supplicant then asks me if I want to skip or something. Is there any way to fix that or a better app to use? I heard Wifi Tether, but when I search for it in the app store a million different things pop up.. which one should I use? (what's the icon and dev name?)

Also, what a good screenshot app to use that doesn't require me to connect to my PC?

I think that Wireless Tether for Root Users works really well. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xZQxw7m9OEQeh3DbfwYFA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU

If you're successfully rooted, just press the power button and the down volume simultaneously or the power button and the home button to take a screenshot. One of those combos will work for you. No app required.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you start installing ROMs, then I'd recommend:

Rom Toolbox Pro (I prefer it to Titanium Backup) to restore all apps, preview and install new boot animations with one click, manage themes, manage cpu settings and profiles, save and restore ROMs, block ads, etc.

4EXT Recovery Control is a great touch interface recovery that I prefer to Clockword Mod Recovery.

My Backup Pro saves all of my sms, mms, call logs, play lists, and all of my info from Note Everything.

ADW Launcher EX is my launcher of choice if you go with a non-Sense ROM. Tons of customization options, easy to use, and has a phone optimization feature that really does speed up my Bolt, making lag virtually unnoticeable. Of course, ADW isn't the only launcher, and many people prefer Go Launcher, or if you go with an ICS ROM, NOVA and Apex are also popular choices.

These don't have anything to do with being rooted, but since we're talking apps, I'll throw some out there:

Appy Geek: If you like to keep up on all of the latest tech news, this is a great app with a cool Windows 8-like tile interface.

Battery Doctor: About a month ago, I noticed that something was killing my battery faster than normal, so installed this app. It found the culprit, I uninstalled the app and my battery life went back to normal.

Business Calendar: Since I'm running Thundershed, I don't get to use HTC's great widgets. For me, Business Calendar works great.

One More Clock Widget: I mix it up, but keep coming back to this app for clocks.

Pocket Casts: My choice for a podcatcher.

Circle Launcher: You can hide this on your home screens and launch your most used apps from it without cluttering up the screen with a bunch of icons.

Rainy Days: Just radar and it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38