Best ROM for stability

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I didn't root with the intent of flashing a new ROM, but the stability of my Thunderbolt still sucks. It still drops data signal and random reboots probably at least once a day. Is there a ROM that helps with these things? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you want a Sense ROM, I'd go with Thunderstick Full Blown 1.1.1. Other people really like Infected Eternity and BAMF Forever, but for me, TStick had the fewest glitches.

If you want a Desensed ROM, I'd recommend Bully Desensed and replacing the launcher that comes with it with ADW Launcher EX. The free version is nice too, but the pro version gives you a ton more customization options.

If you want an AOSP CM-based ROM, I'd go with Thundershed 1.6, which is my personal favorite by far. Liquid Smooth 3.2 is also very good.

If you want an ICS based ROM, then I think NuSense is your best bet.

As I always recommend, I think you should try a few different ones to see which ones you like. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
If you want an ICS based ROM, then I think NuSense is your best bet.

I've tried both NuSense and UnSensed a handful of times but my phone just doesn't seem to like either one...I get horrible battery life, lots of audio glitches, app hangs and display font problems. For ICS, Twisted's ASOP ROM from 12/14/12 has been hands down my favorite. The 12/16 and 12/24 releases boot loop for me but 12/14 has great battery life and has been pretty stable.

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've tried both NuSense and UnSensed a handful of times but my phone just doesn't seem to like either one...I get horrible battery life, lots of audio glitches, app hangs and display font problems. For ICS, Twisted's ASOP ROM from 12/14/12 has been hands down my favorite. The 12/16 and 12/24 releases boot loop for me but 12/14 has great battery life and has been pretty stable.

I just downloaded Twisted ASOP Rom from 12/24/12 and I was wondering - am I right that there is something wrong with the camcorder (but the camera itself works)?

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Twisted ASOP Rom from 12/24/12 and I was wondering - am I right that there is something wrong with the camcorder (but the camera itself works)?

I'm not sure if the camcorder works, I know that's an issue with some of the leak ICS roms but to be honest, I never tried it. I'll flash tonight and see

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
So I tried Liquid's and, Twistedumbrella's ICS ROMs...there were too many dropped calls with Liquid's and too many FCs with Twistedumbrellas...so I have decided my Bolt doesn't like ICS :-( Now I've given up and I'm going to look for a desensed GB rom that I can tolerate...

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the camcorder works, I know that's an issue with some of the leak ICS roms but to be honest, I never tried it. I'll flash tonight and see

Looks like there's a new build

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2056575

I didn't get a chance to flash last night but the camcorder and Netflix are still busted per that thread

So I tried Liquid's and, Twistedumbrella's ICS ROMs...there were too many dropped calls with Liquid's and too many FCs with Twistedumbrellas...so I have decided my Bolt doesn't like ICS :-( Now I've given up and I'm going to look for a desensed GB rom that I can tolerate...

I've taken to formatting all partitions except the SD card when switching roms. Moving from clockwork to 4ext seems to have helped too.

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed the 1/13/2013 upload of Twisted's ROM. I was running the latest Nusense but it was still a battery killer for my phone.
No more boot loops. No wait messages for apps so far. Looks plenty stable
Camcorder is still definitely busted. It looks like it's recording, app pukes when you stop the recording and it puts a blank video on the SD card.
Can't comment on the radios and signals since I've moved my activated sim over to the S3.

HTC Mike

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
so I thought the idea of Roms was to get rid of all the junk?

Im looking for a Rom with basic functions and maybe Im totally offbase on some of the features of Rom's.

are al or most of the app widgets downloadable for free, like Gmail, Maps, Navigation ect and the user who made the Rom just add in features they like? Are you able to delete those features you dot care for?

Is there someplace else I should be asking these questions?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Short answer: Thunder shed 1.6 or Sky raider Zeus 1.3.

Long answer: There is no short answer. Read through the threads. Learn how to make nandroids and experiment till you find what you like. Remember, this is an "old" phone with limited current development. No rooms are perfect but some are very close.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with firepsych, but further than that, which ROMs have you tried? What kinds of junk are you referring to? Are you looking for a stripped down version of Sense, a CM based ROM, a full blown Sense ROM? You can always download GMail, Maps (navigation comes with it), and most anything else from the Play Store. Depending on the ROM, you can enable and disable certain features.

This is a good place to ask questions. :)

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am on Liquid Smooth v 1.5 and there are data drops, but you should try it. (There are the same data drops that came from the phone with less VZ extra stuff).

HTC Mike

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree with firepsych, but further than that, which ROMs have you tried? What kinds of junk are you referring to? Are you looking for a stripped down version of Sense, a CM based ROM, a full blown Sense ROM? You can always download GMail, Maps (navigation comes with it), and most anything else from the Play Store. Depending on the ROM, you can enable and disable certain features.

This is a good place to ask questions. :)
Yeah, I guess maybe a stripped down to nothing phone where I can load and delete whatever I want!

But I dont know what is standard or needed on my phone either.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll start out by saying that Sense based ROMs are, in general, the largest files. For instance:

BAMF Forever 1.11 is 310.8 MB
Thunderstick Full Blown is 338 MB
Infected Eternity is 383.3 MB

And then comes the Desensed ROMs, which are stripped down versions of Sense that use a Launcher:

Bully Desensed is 239.7 MB
Accense is 178.2 MB

Followed by CM7 based ROMs:

Thundershed is only 99.6 MB
Liquid Smooth 3.2 is only 70.1 MB

So, that shows you that some ROMs use more resources than others, and "I" think it's noticeable in the performance/lagginess of the Bolt. The No-Sense and De-Sensed ROMs use Launchers, and again "I" think that some are better than others and make a difference in performance. For instance, Thundershed comes with Go Launcher, which I don't like, and it comes with all of the Go Widgets that you have to download. I prefer ADW Launcher EX, which has optimization settings, plenty of customization options, and none of the annoying widgets to download. However, many people LOVE Go Launcher, and you might as well, so give it a try before you decide if it's the right Launcher for you.

Every ROM comes with certain apps preloaded, but in most cases, you should be able to uninstall them if you don't like them. Cory was nice enough to Pin a thread in this forum that gives you a rundown of which apps are okay to freeze and how to do it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-rooted-how-put-them-back-11.html#post2093944 That should give you an idea on what is standard and necessary.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by proper procedures, but if you are already rooted, you will need to wipe data, cache, and dalvik, at the least, before flashing a new ROM. You can also reformat everything except the sd card for the cleanest install.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

HTC Mike

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
i mean i used revolution to root then used the unroot procedure, when attempting the second part , Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

After getting the bootloader back to the original s-off, engineering 1.04.2000 hboot download these 2 files:
1)PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.9.zip
md5: 3e189b6c85ea7da1e26e12a5cd7b1ab0
and
2) PG05IMG_hboot_only_2.11.605.9.zip
md5: d26b3253358407d459c654e6729a39ca

item # 2 never worked so I went into bootloader and did a factory reset and everything seems to work fine but I want to know if Ill have problems later?
Not sure if rooting is for me, alot of work and time I dont have

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure if you'll run into problems down the line, but I have to think that if everything is fin right now, you should be okay. Usually problems present themselves pretty quickly. And no worries; rooting isn't for everyone!

HTC Mike

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure if you'll run into problems down the line, but I have to think that if everything is fin right now, you should be okay. Usually problems present themselves pretty quickly. And no worries; rooting isn't for everyone!

so i tried to use the one click option to root and ot brought up the menu for the thing but no root option only unroot so maybe i have not unrooted and everything is fine idk, i may try and flash anoyher rom idk