Keep root but install ota update ?

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have cynogenmod and I want to install the new ics update im not on a Rom but I have one on the sd card, how do I do this

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Download Santod's ROM from here: InfectedROM Android Community Forums

Place radio on root of sd card (not in a file).
Rename to PG05IMG.zip.
Hold power and volume down - to boot to bootloader.
It will find the zip and ask for confirmation to update.
Press volume up to update and reboot when done.
Let it load and then reboot back into recovery.
Wipe data, cache, and dalvik.
Choose the ROM zip file and flash it.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm very very new to rooting I don't know what flashing is or a radio

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The first thing you'll need to do is download the radios and the ROM to your pc from Santod's page in the link I posted above.

Once you have those, hook your phone up to your pc. Rename the radio file PG05IMG on your pc and then copy it to the sd card of your Bolt. Make sure that it isn't in a folder when you copy it. Then, copy the ROM file to your sd card.

Power off the Bolt. Once it shuts down, hold down the down volume button and the power button until the hboot menu pops up. Once there, you will be prompted by the phone to install the update. These are the radios, so hit the up volume to accept it. Once it finishes, it will ask you to reboot. Hit the power button to reboot. You now have the new radios for the ICS OTA.

Reboot the phone into the Recovery menu. Once there, you'll want to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache. Once those finish, click on choose zip to install, scroll down till you find the ROM zip file and click on it. Let it load, and once it finishes, reboot the phone. You should now have the ICS OTA ROM. You'll have to re-set up your phone like you did when it was new.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay I accudently installed a rom before you replied can I still do this or do I have to go back to stock? And I tried restoring but it says j didn't back it up what do I do

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I sent you a pm, but just saw this. I would recommend downloading Santod's ICS ROM based on the OTA and flashing that. Once you do, I'd make a back-up of it using ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox, or some other app. But yeah, just go ahead and follow the instructions above.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't need to be in the stock thing its okay I'm runnin nusense

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you're using Nusense and it's working for you, just stick with it. If you want to try something else, just follow the instructions I posted. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my DNA

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You're gonna want to put the radios file on your sd card. "On the root of your sd card" just means on your sd card but not in a folder. You do it this way so it will be recognized in the hboot menu. Then copy the ROM you want to the sd card; doesn't have to be on the root.

Sent from my DNA

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well i dont know what i did but when i clicked install the rom thing it did and now its stuck on the Thunderbolt Picture, i cant restore it because my sd card is empty i didnt make a backup, What do i do!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You should have copied the ROM from your pc to the sd card. Did you do that? If you did, power off the phone, hold down the power button and the down volume button simultaneously until the hboot menu pops up, choose the recovery option to get to the Recovery menu, wipe data, cache, and dalvik, choose install from sd, find the ROM file and click on it. After it loads, reboot the phone and you should be all set. Keep in mind that sometimes after flashing a ROM it will stay on the Thunderbolt boot animation for quite awhile.

If you didn't copy the ROM to the sd card, you're going to need an sd card reader. Put your Bolt's sd card into it, put it into the pc, copy a ROM onto it, put it back into the Bolt, and follow the steps above.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
What rom do i choose there are like 5 different ones?
4arpks2e1

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't see the pic you attached, but if you're going off my link to Santod's OTA ROMs, just pick the first one and then once you get your phone up and running, you can look at the differences between them and see which one works best for you. But I loaded the first one onto my Bolt and it seems to work pretty well.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay, when you say wipe cache data and dalcik, it says "wipe cache partition" "Wipe/factory Reset" what do i do

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
well. i clicked wipe delvik cache and then i chose to install zip from sd and it says installing update is that right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam