Will OTA update break my revolution rooted phone?

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I formatted the cache partition... and this fixed the phone, at least temporarily. When I rebooted after that, I got a message that the update had failed and the phone was good to go. I'm sure that at some point it will try to push the update again but in the meantime I have managed to get a good backup done, and tonight I will flash the new ROM. Thanks for your help.

QUIK_LS1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to fix my friend's Bolt (my old phone) for him and I'm stuck in the HTC white screen bootloop. I've installed the the ICS radios successfully but can't install the InfectedROM (stock/odexed) because of the bootloop. I also tried hooking it up to the pc and using the Tool by trter10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the first thing you need to do if you haven't already is erase the radio file frim your sd card. After that's done, boot into hboot, then boot into recovery, then flash the ROM. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my DNA

QUIK_LS1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the first thing you need to do if you haven't already is erase the radio file frim your sd card. After that's done, boot into hboot, then boot into recovery, then flash the ROM. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my DNA

I did delete the radio file after upgrading but it will not boot into hboot. It literally does nothing but bootloop when you select any of the options (hboot, recovery, factory reset, etc)

EDIT: it does boot into hboot when I do the volume down + power but when I select any of those options, it just bootloops

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's strange. I'm trying to figure out what might cause that and why it bootloops when you try and get into recovery from hboot. Did this happen after he accepted the OTA on his rooted phone? I don't know if this will work, but try pulling the sim card and then see if it will let you into recovery through the hboot menu using the power/volume down button combo. If it doesn't bootloop, do a full wipe (data, cache, dalvik, and format everything except the sd card) and then load the ROM. I'll have my fingers crossed.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I successfully flashed the infected deboated ICS ROM. Only problem i'm having so far is that I have no 3g/4g connectivity. I can connect to my wi-fi but no mobile network. Any idea why or how to fix that? Thanks for everything.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Ahh scratch that last question.. it turned out to be something dumb. Under the "access points" dropdown in the mobile networking settings there is only one option, but it wasn't selected. I selected it and my 3g/4g started working. I think i'm all good now... tomorrow i'll look into how to disable OTA updates and I should be good to go. Thanks again for all the advice here... really helped me out.

QUIK_LS1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's strange. I'm trying to figure out what might cause that and why it bootloops when you try and get into recovery from hboot. Did this happen after he accepted the OTA on his rooted phone? I don't know if this will work, but try pulling the sim card and then see if it will let you into recovery through the hboot menu using the power/volume down button combo. If it doesn't bootloop, do a full wipe (data, cache, dalvik, and format everything except the sd card) and then load the ROM. I'll have my fingers crossed.

Yanked the SIM card and tried rebooting into hboot then selected recovery aaaaand... Bootloop cycle all over again. Still no luck. (and yes, he tried to install the OTA while being rooted via Revolutionary)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to say that if you can't get the phone into recovery, I'm not sure I can help. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Sent from my DNA

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My phone had this problem too, I actually tried unrooting using the revolutionary method, but it didn't end up working. So now the update keeps trying to push onto my phone and it contintues to reboot, but sometimes it also turns on. When it goes to the hboot screen, it says locked and s-on, but it's still rooted. Also, when I click on recovery it doesn't do anything.. so I'm guessing that's messed up too.

What should I use to do a step by step full unroot (that will work in my case since I think my backup is gone) or to do an update of some sort that will take the ota update from pushing? All of this stuff confuses me and most of the links I find are dead..

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC