Will OTA update break my revolution rooted phone?

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted my phone with revolution, but I still have the stock ROM installed it. I mainly rooted it to use Titanium Backup.
I started downloading the ICS OTA update, but then I started questioning whether I could install this update without screwing up the phone. Can I install this update? Do I need to unroot before I do the update, and will I have to re-root after the update?

Thanks!
-Jeff

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
It will bork your phone. I tried, just because I was curious and because I'm getting ready to replace the TB anyway...lol! It's not hard to fix if you have a nandroid backup, but then you just end up where you were. Not worth the trouble. Go to XDA Developers and there should be a rooted version of the stock ROM available now.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Ugh.. that's what I was afraid of. I don't understand why I need a rooted ROM... since revolution doesn't root my ROM, it changes the boot loader.... or at least that's how I understood it. I really wish I had never bothered to root the phone.. it's such a pain in the ass, but it was the only way I could properly back up my phone which sucks.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I started reading a post on xda-developers on how to install this update... but I'm hopelessly confused. They give me a link to download a file and the link takes me to a forum page with a million files on it none of which are called what I was sent to get.... I swear I will never root again. Rooting is for people with far too much time on their hands.... dealing with this just sucks.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
this is hopeless... isn't there any kind of resource anywhere that can walk a newbie through how this all works? Define some terms? Tell me what to do? I checked out the infected site.... it gets me nowhere because i don't know what to do with any of the files.... it tells me how to update the radio great.... so if i do that and download the rom, then what? I have been reading all night and getting nowhere. I will never root again.... props to all of you who get how it works and spend all that time to do it. I hope it's worth it for you.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't get frustrated. Ask me what you want to know. In the meantime, I'll try and break it down as easily as I can.

The first thing you'll need to do is download the radios and the ROM to your pc from Santod's page in the link I posted above.

Once you have those, hook your phone up to your pc. Rename the radio file PG05IMG on your pc and then copy it to the sd card of your Bolt. Make sure that it isn't in a folder when you copy it. Then, copy the ROM file to your sd card.

Power off the Bolt. Once it shuts down, hold down the down volume button and the power button until the hboot menu pops up. Once there, you will be prompted by the phone to install the update. These are the radios, so hit the up volume to accept it. Once it finishes, it will ask you to reboot. Hit the power button to reboot. You now have the new radios for the ICS OTA.

Reboot the phone into the Recovery menu. Once there, you'll want to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache. Once those finish, click on choose zip to install, scroll down till you find the ROM zip file and click on it. Let it load, and once it finishes, reboot the phone. You should now have the ICS OTA ROM. You'll have to re-set up your phone like you did when it was new.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
When you say wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache.... does this mean all my application data will be reset? So I will need to make sure I re-backup all my app data and i'll have to restore all that after the update?

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Yes, if you don't already have it, get an app called My Backup and backup all your data and apps before you do the update.

Also, you'll find the Nandroid backup in the Hboot menu. Run a backup there too, as this backup will restore your phone back to exactly the way it was (including the operating system) before the OS update, in case things get messed up. If you don't have a nandroid backup and your phone won't boot after attempting the OS update, you're kind of screwed.

It looks complicated, but once you do it you'll realize it's not really that big of a deal. You can also try the update without wiping the data, etc (BUT STILL DO THE NANDROID BACKUP). If you have problems that way then just hboot into recovery, restore to previous version from the Nandroid backup, and then start over, wiping the data and such this time. I've never wiped, and have never had any problems, but I might this time since it's a pretty significant update.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been busy and didn 't have a chance to try to do the rom flash... and now today my phone went and installed ther OTA without a prompt asking me if it was ok. I declined the OTA before, but today it decided to just go ahead and do it anyway... so now my phone only stays booted for a few minutes and then it powers off and tries to install the update and hangs. I'm trying to get my data backed up but I can't seem to keep my phone alive long enough to back anything up. i'm still very confused about how to flash roms. Do I have to get the ext4 recovery or whatever that is? I don't know what recovery I have now... i think CWM but I don't know, I have whatever got put there when I ran the revolution scripts.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes I can... I can hold down the down volume and power to get into it... if i choose recovery from the menu it goes and tries to install the OTA and hangs the same way as if I just let the phone power down.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an sd card reader? If not, you'll need one. Put your sd card into the reader and plug it into your pc. Look through the sd card until you find a file titled PG0IMG.zip and erase it. Then put the sd back into your phone and reboot. Let me know what happens.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Weird. Let me think about it. Did you do a search or did you actually scroll through the files and look for it?

Sent from my DNA

Last edited:

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Both. I expected the file to be in the root and not in a folder so that's where I looked. The only .zip file I saw was su.zip. I then did a search for it and it didn't find anything. Also, I am actually able to get into the recovery menu. I thought hitting the recover menu was just trying to install the OTA update... which it does, but if I then pull the battery and go in to HBOOT again and choose recovery I get into the actual recovery menu. I have revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4 loaded. Somebody suggested that if I cleared the Dalvik cache, it would let me boot the phone and not try to install the OTA update. I tried that , but it doesn't seem to work.. the phone still shuts down after a few minutes.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you can get into recovery, go ahead and wipe data, cache, dalvik. Then go into Mounts and format everything except the sd card. Go back and choose install zip from sd card and install the ROM. Let me know what happens.

Sent from my DNA

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
What will I have left if I do this? Basically a factory reset stock ROM? Since the ROM on the SD card is the OTA one, wouldn't it still have problems installing it with the modified boot loader? I'm still really confused how it all works. Is there any way for me to get in and delay the phone from shutting down long enough to get a backup made? I've been trying since yesterday to back everything up in Titanium but the few minutes window I have to do it isn't enough.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually hoping you can wipe the ota since that's what's causing the problem. If you had a backup on your sd card, I would just have you flash it, but since you don't, you need to flash a new ROM so that there is an O.S. on your Bolt. Once you do that, you should be able to boot up your phone.

Sent from my DNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy