Revert back to Jelly Bean or Froyo

anikun07

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have no experience with rooting so it's a bit tricky for me to understand all the thread I'm reading. My phone updated to ICS when Verizon sent out the OTA update and I'd much prefer going back to a previous version of the Android OS. I was quite happy with JB. Could someone point me in the right direction of what I need to do or recommend a ROM? Thanks in advance.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi, are you sure you were on JB?

Are you rooted or would like to be?

If you are rooted, you can flash Froyo, Gingerbread, ICS, go back/fwd however you'd like between them.

I myself am on a rom (OS version) that is ICS and even has JB features (such as camera).

We need more info.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anikun07

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. It's not rooted right now but I'm thinking it will make me happier with my phone once it is. I'm actually not sure which OS was on my phone previously, whatever Verizon had programed prior to the ICS update. I thought it was Jelly Bean, perhaps it was Froyo.

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
gingerbread was before ics ... I thought the early ics Roms were laggy but some.say infected unsense is not laggy. I run cm7 still and have been happy for a long time with it....

anikun07

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to go back to Gingerbread. I thought Jelly Bean was the previous OS. So would I just root my phone and then I find a ROM of the OS and flash the phone? Are there ROMs available that would be copies of the official phone/carrier OS or are they all third-party/privately developed? Thanks for your help, everyone.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Can't imagine why you would want to go back but.....
What you can do!(this is the best way to go back and forth between stock rom in my opinion) is this. You get a windows program called htcdev I think. What it does (all brands have similar versions) is allows you to flash stock rom onto your phone from the computer. You can download the official roms for your phone in. Sbf format. Once that's done it is as simple as.

Entering bootloader mode or downloaded mode on your phone (Google search will tell you how to do that it is a key combination at startup).

Plugging it into the computer with a USB cable

Opening up Htcdev and clicking on browse and finding the rom you downloaded (the Sbf file)

Then hit start. Your phone will be on whatever rom you choose in 10 min or so.

This way prevents you from having to mess with recovery mode cache wipes and third party zip files. It also makes it incredibly simple to recover a bootlopping phone.

Even if you don't flash the rom this way it is a great program to know how to use because you can rescue a phone easily.

And no root needed either but rooting is no big deal anyway.

If you want to do it this way I can get more in depth. I have never flashed an HTC phone so I don't know the exact specifics of it but they are all very similar.

Do lots of research too. Research is a good thing.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll try and explain it in a very basic way...

Because you were not rooted and also at same time got the new ICS update (same as my wife btw), to root her phone and yours, we need to unlock the bootloader by contacting HTC (voids warranty), and in past bootloader got unlocked due to exploit developers found which enabled us to root.
Once bootloader is unlocked, we can load any official update Verizon released, including past ones like gingerbread.

Now, here's the thing to avoid... If we go back onto a previous official released version, there's almost 100% chance that the newer version(s) will want to update the phones which can be unstoppable especially if we sleep and happens overnight (unless you turn mobile data off before going to bed each night).
So, in order to root, we need to go back a version or two (from ICS), and after phone is rooted, flash a custom rom so that phone stays the way we like, with no special unplanned pushes to our devices.

anikun07

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, guys! That's exactly what I was looking for. What's the best way to back everything up before flashing? Is there a utility that backs up common folders and app setting?

@ return_0: My phone is an HTC Thunderbolt, I don't like ICS because on my phone many things are too slow and clunky. I especially hate how internet pages have to refresh the display when I pan. The area off screen is black and has to refresh the display - but not reload the web page. Certain things just run slow and switching between apps and going back to the home screen is slow. Just to clarify, I don't have very many app on my phone, maybe 15 or so and only a couple that run all the time (Tasker and Weather Bug).

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
if you are having issues with ics (4.0.4) try a factory reset before you go nuts rooting and flashing back to an older android version. alot of apps and new apps are not compatible with older versions of android so you will end up being left out in the cold by most devs. (even more so since even 4.0.4 is considered out dated) my dad had issues with his tbolt lagging and being "clunky" after his ics update. I talked him into a factory reset and its now running faster then ever. if your going to root your most-likely going to wipe your devices anyway might as well give it a shot first. good luck!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
^^^absolutely.
Take this advice and try that out first. Rooting the tbolt now is not the same like when we got them, much longer process involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech