thunderbolt rooted!

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I really want to do with root is use SetCPU to underclock the processor when the screen is off...

... and overclock to 2GHz when the screen is on >_>

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
you sure OC'n all the way upto 2Ghz wont kill your phone?

Actually, it's more of a joke. They overclocked a G2 (I think) to 2GHz. Same processor. But I'm pretty sure they had to over volt it quite a bit as well. Not something which would result in a long lasting phone, that's for sure.

A more realistic overclock is going to be 1.5GHz, probably.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Great, this means I'll have my wifi hotspot on day one. I'm driving to California mid March, so now I'll be able to share wifi with the laptop so people can stay entertained. Naturally, I'll be testing out WOW on 4G.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's more of a joke. They overclocked a G2 (I think) to 2GHz. Same processor. But I'm pretty sure they had to over volt it quite a bit as well. Not something which would result in a long lasting phone, that's for sure.

A more realistic overclock is going to be 1.5GHz, probably.

lol sounds more likely you never know what some people you run into online will try i think i may OC mine eventually as well prob just to 1.2 - 1.3 Ghz though

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have been pretty amazed to the extent which some of these phones can be overclocked, although even I might be a little weary to be the first to try it with the Tbolt :p

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd say 1.2-1.3GHz is a more reasonable OC on this device. I think its more important to have low-voltage OC stepping so battery is better while maintaining performance.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I was actually wondering about this too. I'm still not completely sure what rooting means. I've been with crackberry for so long, downloading leaked OS's come like second nature...this is a whole new world for me lol

+1
no more visiting crackberry daily to wait to see if a new leak came out.. hell official updates take forever

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd say 1.2-1.3GHz is a more reasonable OC on this device. I think its more important to have low-voltage OC stepping so battery is better while maintaining performance.

Too true. Also I'm sure the heat produced by the chip and battery from overclocking is more than HTC intended, and is bound to take some of the life of the phone away. I would hate to have it crap out after 10 months of overclocking because it just "burned up". 1.3 will be plenty fast with a stable kernel...

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
You can see in one of the pictures the word "S-OFF" which means no locked bootloader.

It means the security switch is set to "off" which means you CAN install unsigned ROMs (the very thing that locked bootloaders try to prevent).

HTC doesn't use locked bootloaders, Motorola does - hence the reason that many people prefer this phone over the Bionic (which is expected to have a locked BL)

Wrong.

HTC does use locked bootloaders. The bootloader on production thunderbolts will be locked. HTC just sucks at security.

Expect it to get unlocked.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Wrong.

HTC does use locked bootloaders. The bootloader on production thunderbolts will be locked. HTC just sucks at security.

Wrong. HTC DOES NOT LOCK bootloaders. They lock the NAND flash memory. Much easier to get around.

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. HTC DOES NOT LOCK bootloaders. They lock the NAND flash memory. Much easier to get around.

Actually, they do. HTC disabled oem-unlock on every device, except the dev phones. In addition, they do nand locking.

If the bootloader was unlocked, the HTC device would need any kind of exploit to get rooted. We could just fastboot a new image in.

If I am missing something, and you know how to enable unsigned fastboot/unlock the stock thunderbolt bootloader please let us know, it would save us from having to release more dangerous methods of doing it.

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
jcase is right. I need to check my sources a little harder.

The way Peter Chou always says he wants his phones to be the leaders in the "User Experience" and wants each user's experience to be "Deeply Personal"... I wonder if they actually suck at security or if he is throwing the developers an underhanded meatball by not locking it down harder. HTC seems to be very "Developer Friendly" and don't seem to mind that their phones have more custom rom's than any other manufacturer. It's almost like they incourage it... They do have the best programers in the industry...

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Highly doubt if HTC entourages much development. If they did, not only would they be snappier about getting the sources that are REQUIRED to provide, they would provide proprietary sources.

Right now, they seem to consider violating the GPL for 90-120+ days at a time "acceptable in the open source community".

Also they would not have sent out C&Ds for testkey roms that were used in some rootings.

I personally prefer Motorola, I just hope to see a dev phone from them soon.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Wrong.

You're right. My apologies.

Both companies use locked bootloaders, but HTC's is a hell of a lot easier to kill and get the security switch set to off. Meanwhile Motorola's is a beast to get around

So far all popular HTC devices have achieved s-off. And I'm with you: I expect the TB to be unlocked as well

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
You're right. My apologies.

Both companies use locked bootloaders, but HTC's is a hell of a lot easier to kill and get the security switch set to off. Meanwhile Motorola's is a beast to get around

So far all popular HTC devices have achieved s-off. And I'm with you: I expect the TB to be unlocked as well

Check your PM.

EdForsythe

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Why advertise?

That's great news but why advertise root success before the phone is released? My sequence of events would be:
1. Buy TB
2. Play with sense for awhile.
3. Root TB
I'm a noob to rooting so I'm not qualified to comment, but It seems that advertising now gives HTC the opportunity to close the door before the release date (If they are so inclined). Is there anything wrong with my logic? :confused:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
They might, but I wouldn't count on it. The root exploit for the Inspire, for example, is the same one they used for the Desire HD. So HTC knew it was vulnerable, and knew where the vulnerability was... and knew that WE knew... and released another phone months later with the same software. They have some of the fastest programers in the industry, but chose to leave it alone. It almost makes you think they want this phone rooted, so we can enjoy custom rom's/kernels. I know I won't buy anything but an HTC because of it, so is there anything wrong with my logic?

I think HTC knows the more developer friendly they are, the more phones they sell to people who want a truly custom user experience. And having a reputation for a great user experience has made a lot of dudes at HTC very wealthy.

EdForsythe

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
They might, but I wouldn't count on it. The root exploit for the Inspire, for example, is the same one they used for the Desire HD. So HTC knew it was vulnerable, and knew where the vulnerability was... and knew that WE knew... and released another phone months later with the same software. They have some of the fastest programers in the industry, but chose to leave it alone. It almost makes you think they want this phone rooted, so we can enjoy custom rom's/kernels. I know I won't buy anything but an HTC because of it, so is there anything wrong with my logic?

I think HTC knows the more developer friendly they are, the more phones they sell to people who want a truly custom user experience. And having a reputation for a great user experience has made a lot of dudes at HTC very wealthy.
Good thinking! I prefer *your* logic to mine. :D