Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Farmer...I already rooted my phone...this thread is for those who have already rooted the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    If you can't get it to mount as R/W you are probably not rooted. Try another root app to be sure, such as shootme or adfree. If neither works, you are not rooted for sure.
    I am rooted. I am able to use ROM Manager and ShootMe

Last edited by AisforAustin; 03-20-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    [Verizon] HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Rooted with S-OFF
    Pick up date: [3.17.2011]
    Recovery: [Clockwork 3.0.2.5]
    ROM: [Das BAMF v1.5] Radio: [1.16.00.0402] Kernal: [2.6.32.21 BAMF 4.4.2]

Uninstalled and reinstalled Root Explorer and got it fixed.
    [Verizon] HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Rooted with S-OFF
    Pick up date: [3.17.2011]
    Recovery: [Clockwork 3.0.2.5]
    ROM: [Das BAMF v1.5] Radio: [1.16.00.0402] Kernal: [2.6.32.21 BAMF 4.4.2]

Default Scripted... T-BOLT App Mover!

Everyone,

Here is a little script thrown together to automate the processing a little bit...

Instructions:
    1) Root your phone first!
    2) Download "tboltappmover.txt" (its attached to this post)
    3) Ensure busybox is installed!! (To check and see if it is installed properly download Root Checker from the Market. If busybox is NOT installed right, then go to the Market and install busybox)
    4) Run the commands below via adb
    5) Reboot phone via the power button (hold down and select restart)
    6) Win? :P

Please open the file and comment out (using # as the first character of the line) or delete lines you do not want to be moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

######## CMD LINE INSTRUCTS ################

to use adb: (make sure script is in the same dir as adb)

-->starting with the text file tboltappmover.txt then do the following 2 commands:

adb push tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/
    adb shell
    mv /sdcard/tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

-->starting with tboltappmover already renamed to .sh then do the following command:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/

-->Now with the script on the scard run the following 8 commands:
    adb shell chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    adb shell
    su
    cd /sdcard/
    ./tboltappmover.sh
    rm /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh (used to remove the script)
    exit
    exit

############### END INSTRUCTS ####################

WARNING: You may or may not have to accept super user on your phone. Make sure you look at your phone's screen!!

It is pretty straight forward. You will have a folder on your sdcard named disabled.apps that contain all your apps you have moved.

Don't forget to reboot to actually remove app icon. I didn't want to script this in and freak people out with a phone that restarted on its own...

Notes:I have busybox running from /system/xbin/ so you may need to modify depending on where you installed it (just use replace in notepad).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you edit the script before you run it! this will move all the apps that were listed if unedited!!!!!!!!

If you run this script it will move all the apk's listed on the front page. This means there is a possibility that apps, which are dependent on other info/apps, may freak your phone out if moved. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE edit the script to remove only the apk's you are not using!

also, i am not responsible for your devices, run at your own risk... blah blah blah
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by melch8805; 03-27-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added more instructs / warnings / stuffs
    Thanked by:
    k33gs 

Quote Originally Posted by melch8805 View Post
    Everyone,

Here is a little script thrown together to automate the processing a little bit...

Instructions:
    D/L tboltappmover.txt

Please open the file and comment out (using #) or delete lines you do not want to be moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rename to tboltappmover.sh
    move tboltappmover.sh to the same folder as adb (or right to sdcard)
    >if you prefer adb (i do) adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    >file needs chmod to execute = adb shell chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    then all you need to do is execute and let the magic begin!

It is pretty straight forward. you will have a folder on your sdcard named disabled.apps that contain all your apps you have moved.

Don't forget to reboot to actually remove app icon. I didn't want to freak people out with a phone that restarted on its own...

Notes:
    I have busybox running from /system/xbin/ so you may need to modify depending on where you installed it (just use replace in notepad).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you edit the text file before you run it! this will move all the apps that were listed if unedited!!!!!!!!

also, i am not responsible for your devices, run at your own risk... blah blah blah
    Hi, thanks for the script. When i try to chmod, it says permission denied. Not really sure why this is happening, im pretty new at this (though I rooted successfully). Also, when you say execute, do I just execute using a file manager on the phone? (I use androzip, since its free)

Quote Originally Posted by hpfalcon View Post
    Hi, thanks for the script. When i try to chmod, it says permission denied. Not really sure why this is happening, im pretty new at this (though I rooted successfully). Also, when you say execute, do I just execute using a file manager on the phone? (I use androzip, since its free)
    Does the script comeback with this error?? try moving the "mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system" to the first line after the #!

Let me know. I can't double check this for you now since I'm at work.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Question

This may be a noob-type question, and I'm ok with that as I've only rooted my old D1 once with a one-click method and quickly unrooted it.

I am waiting for a one-click root method for the TB so that I can remove all of the bloatware. When you say that you cant get any OTA updates if all of the bloatware doesnt exist, do you mean that you can never actually remove all of the bloatware? If you move the bloatware to the SD card like you recommended, do you have to move it back to the system folder in order to receive an OTA update?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Quote Originally Posted by pman555 View Post
    This may be a noob-type question, and I'm ok with that as I've only rooted my old D1 once with a one-click method and quickly unrooted it.

I am waiting for a one-click root method for the TB so that I can remove all of the bloatware. When you say that you cant get any OTA updates if all of the bloatware doesnt exist, do you mean that you can never actually remove all of the bloatware? If you move the bloatware to the SD card like you recommended, do you have to move it back to the system folder in order to receive an OTA update?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!
    Pman,

Most likely when you get into the world of root you will start going down the road of roms... then you don't need to worry about any of OTA updates.

However, I believe it was confirmed that all the bloatware has to be in its original locations in order for an OTA to work. Perhaps even unrooted?

Anways, just moving apps to the sdcard will give you a good sense of what you can do with out and what you need. It is easy to return an app back to its proper location. So moving to the sdcard is a kind of test. Later you are probably just going to want to remove uneeded apps permanently.

I hope that answers your question...

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Pman,

Most likely when you get into the world of root you will start going down the road of roms... then you don't need to worry about any of OTA updates.

However, I believe it was confirmed that all the bloatware has to be in its original locations in order for an OTA to work. Perhaps even unrooted?

Anways, just moving apps to the sdcard will give you a good sense of what you can do with out and what you need. It is easy to return an app back to its proper location. So moving to the sdcard is a kind of test. Later you are probably just going to want to remove uneeded apps permanently.

I hope that answers your question...
    Thanks for the reply.
    It sort of answers my question.

I'm not sure whether I want to get into the world of roms. I usually prefer leaving things as "stock" as possible. The main and possibly only reason I would want to root my phone is to remove the bloatware.

So hypothetically, lets just say that I have already rooted my phone and moved the bloatware. If I hear there is an OTA update going around, would I move the bloatware back to the system folder and then unroot my phone in order to receive the OTA?

Quote Originally Posted by pman555 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    It sort of answers my question.

I'm not sure whether I want to get into the world of roms. I usually prefer leaving things as "stock" as possible. The main and possibly only reason I would want to root my phone is to remove the bloatware.

So hypothetically, lets just say that I have already rooted my phone and moved the bloatware. If I hear there is an OTA update going around, would I move the bloatware back to the system folder and then unroot my phone in order to receive the OTA?
    Perhaps, time will tell though. AndIRC already put out a warning not to d/l the OTA update that is coming. Apparently it will kill the rooting. But in theory, yes. You should just be able to move apps back and unroot.

-Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Perhaps, time will tell though. AndIRC already put out a warning not to d/l the OTA update that is coming. Apparently it will kill the rooting. But in theory, yes. You should just be able to move apps back and unroot.

-Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Well I havent rooted yet, so the OTA shouldnt affect me.
    Thanks for the warning though!

so i just used super manager to cut all the apps from the phone and placed them on my sd... instead it just copied everything to my sd... and i tried to go back through and just delete the old one... they wont delete... any help?

Quote Originally Posted by hpfalcon View Post
    Open command prompt and do:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /data/local
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    adb shell
    su
    sh /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    rm /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    exit

When you do "su" you have to accept on your phone screen.
    Thanked by 2:

Hey I moved com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk and then decided I wanted to keep it. I moved it back, but it doesn't show up in my widgets. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by NateS View Post
    Open command prompt and do:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /data/local
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    adb shell
    su
    sh /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    rm /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
    exit

When you do "su" you have to accept on your phone screen.
    Thanks for clarifying that for them.

Hey I moved com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk and then decided I wanted to keep it. I moved it back, but it doesn't show up in my widgets. Any ideas?
    Try a reboot. Let me know...

Nope, still doesn't show up even after hard reboot. Interesting, on the widgets screen, between Calendar and FM Radio I see a widget named "false" by HTC. Clicking it says Rosie Utility stopped working. I believe this was there even when FriendStream was moved to my sdcard. I see both FriendStream.apk and FriendStreamWidget.apk in /system/app, but still no widget.

Thanks for all the info, I just moved all that crap to my sd card.
    Last edited by SamOliver; 03-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Nope, still doesn't show up even after hard reboot. Interesting, on the widgets screen, between Calendar and FM Radio I see a widget named "false" by HTC. Clicking it says Rosie Utility stopped working. I believe this was there even when FriendStream was moved to my sdcard. I see both FriendStream.apk and FriendStreamWidget.apk in /system/app, but still no widget.
    interesting... try moving the app back to the sdcard.

now, using adb:
    adb shell
    adb su
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    /system/xbin/busy box mv /sdard/disabled.apps/"app name" /system/app/"appname"
    mount -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    exit
    exit

<<reboot phone>>

Win?

let me know

Quote Originally Posted by SamOliver View Post
    I'm trying to use Titanium Backup Pro to backup apps and it says:

"Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again."

None of the other apps like root explorer, wireless tether, ROM manager, or drocap have any problems. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?
    you could try using fix permissions in ROMmanager...

Download an app called root checker.
    In there is a button to click to verify that busybox is installed properly. It most likely will be an issue with busybox

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

If I remember correctly didn't removing bloatware on the Dinc cause all kind of problems for updating to the Froyo OTA? Am I remembering this correctly or not????
    Waiting for the G-Nex

That's why cory said to either rename them or move them to the sd card instead of deleting them.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3 RC4.9

Quote Originally Posted by uclemonbee View Post
    so i just used super manager to cut all the apps from the phone and placed them on my sd... instead it just copied everything to my sd... and i tried to go back through and just delete the old one... they wont delete... any help?
    when you go to file explorer and click the folder with the heart & choose root path then system you need to select R/W in the popup window in order to change or delete a file

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3 RC4.9

k removing bloat went fine except for blockbuster i renamed it and removed it it's no longer in system/app i double checked yet it still shows in my app i rebooted phone and its still there but still not in system/app i don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by blizz419 View Post
    k removing bloat went fine except for blockbuster i renamed it and removed it it's no longer in system/app i double checked yet it still shows in my app i rebooted phone and its still there but still not in system/app i don't get it
    Try going to:
    settings>applications>manage applications

See if the blockbuster app shows up in there. if so see if it will allow you to unistall.

let me know
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast