Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 255
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #101  
    Guntherm's Avatar

    Posts
    362 Posts
    ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

    Default

    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh: operation not permitted

    In the shell I get when tryign to push permission denied
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  2. #102  
    Raptor007's Avatar

    Posts
    3,186 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

    Default

    I am curious given all of the discussion surrounding the "8GB" advertised vs 2.49GB that is accessible, what is in that 5GB+ of space. It has been mentioned that VZNav has all of the maps loaded, but if you look at the app itself (nothing else associated) its less than 3MB. So how do we get real space back or is that just not possible?

    I am going to opt for the moving to SDCard "VZW Bloatware" folder option instead of deleting, so what is the best way to achieve that?
  3. #103  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntherm View Post
    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh: operation not permitted

    In the shell I get when tryign to push permission denied
    try:
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    if that doesn't work try:
    adb shell
    su
    /system/xbin/busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    let me know
  4. #104  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melch8805 View Post
    Are you using the script? If not and are trying to run through this line-by-line, make sure you chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware

    I'm not sure if that will solve your issues or not (i'm at work and can't test it)
    First, I want to thank you for the time you've put into helping me learn this. I'm never content just copying and pasting codes and not understanding what they do. I've read through the script, but wanted to take the extra effort to move at least a few apps individually.

    I had been using the chmod, but forgot to the last few times. I added it into the sequence, but still get the same error. See below:

    c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
    /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
    # mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    # /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
    /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
    mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

    The BitBop app is still listed when I do a ls search.
  5. #105  
    Guntherm's Avatar

    Posts
    362 Posts
    ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melch8805 View Post
    try:
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    if that doesn't work try:
    adb shell
    su
    /system/xbin/busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    let me know
    First please understand complete noob here:

    from command line: (in usb charge only)
    adb shell
    $
    $ su
    permission denied

    Changed to disk drive mode
    $ su
    (phone asked to give permission, accepted)
    # chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh:No such file or directory
    #adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    adb: Not found
    (copied file there manually at this point)
    # chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmove.sh:No such file or directory

    Okay that is what the cmd window has:

    What is it exactly am i missing here?
    Suppose to be in charging mode? Disk drive mode?
    Usb debugging is on. Even tried toggle off/ back on.

    Root Cheek says root is good.
    Super user shows several programs in list that have super user access to include Titanium Back..
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  6. #106  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Please read carefully and proceed with caution

    This list has been created based on my prior experiences with a variety of devices. I am very confident that the Verizon Bloatware, Live Wallpapers, and Widgets listed below can be safely renamed/moved. I am somewhat confident that the HTC apps can also be safely removed based on pervious experience with both the EVO and Incredible. That said, this is a new device with an updated version of Sense. If you do not want to be a test case, you should wait for others to confirm these apps are safe to remove. Do not throw stones at me if something goes wrong.

    Before you begin:
    • Before you start making changes, I would strongly recommend backing up your device with a program like Titanium Backup (also in the market).
    • All of the files below are in /system/app.
    • The most popular file explorer for accessing and moving these files is called Root Explorer. When you navigate to the above directory, you will need to verify that the it says this in the upper right corner: Mount R/O. If it says: Mount R/W, push to toggle.
    • Instead of deleting files, I would recommend either:
      1. Renaming them from <filename.apk> to <filename.apk.old> For example, there's a file called Blockbuster_htc.apk in the system/app folder. If you long press on this file, in root explorer, you have the option of renaming it. Select this and add .old to the end. Once you do this, it will no longer show up in your app drawer and there will be no trace of it starting up with the OS.
      2. Alternatively, you could move these files to your SD card (this is what I do) if you don't want them eating up space in your system folder. But do not delete these files. Historically, on other phones, OTA updates have failed if the bloatware doesn't exist. The system folder had to be exactly the way it was when the phone shipped.

    • Before you rename or move an app in the /system/app folder, check the list below. If it is not listed, or you are unsure if it is safe to modify, please ask first. To be safe, I would only remove the apps listed below, until it is updated.
    • If an APK file also has an associated ODEX file, the ODEX can be renamed/moved also.
    • Do not remove any file starting with VzWBA (related to Verizon Backup Manager). Your TB will croak.

    Verizon Bloat:
    • Kindle-OEM-1.1.1.90750089-20100927.apk
    • Blockbuster_htc.apk
    • CityID.apk (Apparently this app can also be uninstalled prior to root. See post #5 for more details.
    • VCast.apk
    • VzNav.apk
    • VZW_BitBop.apk
    • VZW_Golf.apk
    • VZW_Rhapsody.apk
    • VZW_RockBandStub.apk
    • VVM.apk

    HTC Widgets:
    • com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
    • com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
    • com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
    • com.htc.StockWidget.apk
    • com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
    • com.htc.WeatherWidget.apk
    • HtcClockWidget.apk
    • htccontactwidgets.apk
    • htcmailwidgets.apk
    • HtcMimWidget.apk
    • HtcPhotoWidget.apk
    • HtcPowerStripWidget.apk
    • HtcProfileWidget.apk
    • HtcSyncwidget.apk
    • HtcScreenBrightnessWidget.apk

    Wallpapers:
    • LiveWallpapers.apk
    • LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    • MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    • Mode10Wallpapers.apk
    • VisualizationWallpapers.apk

    HTC Apps:
    • appsharing.apk
    • calculator.apk
    • Flashlight.apk
    • Flickr.apk
    • GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    • HtcCarPanel.apk
    • HTCLocationPicker.apk
    • HTCSetupWizard.apk
    • HtcSoundRecorder.apk
    • HtcStreamPlayer.apk
    • HtcTwitter.apk
    • HTMLViewer.apk
    • QuickLookup.apk
    • Quickoffice.apk
    • SocialNetworkProvider.apk
    • Stock.apk
    • Street.apk
    • VoiceDialer.apk
    • VoiceSearch.apk
    • WidgetDwonloadManager.apk
    • WifiRouter.apk

    Potentials (do not delete until confirmed):
    • AdobeReader.apk
    • Calculator.apk
    • HTCFMRadio.apk

    Notes:
    • There will be others, I'm sure, but I won't be the first to try.
    • If there are additional apps that you have successfully renamed or moved, please post them in this thread.

    Suggested alternatives for removed apps:
    • Instead of the built in browser use Dolphin HD.
    • Use Google Maps with Navigation instead of VZ Navigator.
    • Buy apps through the Amazon MP3 store instead of the VCast music app.
    • Convert movies using DVD Catalyst 3, then transfer to your SD card instead of using the VCast video app.
    • For file browsing try using Root Explorer.
    • Search AppBrain for a free caller ID - instead of the subscription based CityID app.
    • Instead of the Verizon IM client search AppBrain for an IM client app and/or stick to the built in Gtalk application.
    i've successfully completed the on click root method for my thunderbolt. however, i am having trouble taking advantage of this. i am new to android and do not know how if i am going to continue rooting or not so i do not want to pay for root explorer. i have downloaded other free managers and went into system/app and tried your method of renaming from .apk to .old in order to be able to restore those apps in case of an upgrade. however, those apps remain in my app drawer and i cannot get rid of them. i was hoping you could give me a quick rundown of how to rid my phone of the bloatware using one of the free file explorers. thanks in advance.
  7. #107  
    Guntherm's Avatar

    Posts
    362 Posts
    ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

    Default

    Still unable to complete this.
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  8. #108  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ray7713 View Post
    i've successfully completed the on click root method for my thunderbolt. however, i am having trouble taking advantage of this. i am new to android and do not know how if i am going to continue rooting or not so i do not want to pay for root explorer. i have downloaded other free managers and went into system/app and tried your method of renaming from .apk to .old in order to be able to restore those apps in case of an upgrade. however, those apps remain in my app drawer and i cannot get rid of them. i was hoping you could give me a quick rundown of how to rid my phone of the bloatware using one of the free file explorers. thanks in advance.
    Super Manager is free and will allow you to rename/move system apps. Just make sure you go into the settings and enable the system r/w option.
  9. #109  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Super Manager is free and will allow you to rename/move system apps. Just make sure you go into the settings and enable the system r/w option.
    I'm actually using super manager, i have r/w enabled and i am able to rename the .apk but they still appear in the application drawer, even after reboot. any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong?
  10. #110  
    nkd
    nkd is offline
    nkd's Avatar

    Posts
    611 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

    Default

    I just deleted them I figured if I want the next ota update I will just flash the original rom that I have saved in three different spots and just flash it. I actually didn't uninstall any htc widgets or anything, just verizon apps and bb, peeps, and other apps I wont use.
  11. #111  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ray7713 View Post
    I'm actually using super manager, i have r/w enabled and i am able to rename the .apk but they still appear in the application drawer, even after reboot. any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong?
    Hit the menu button, choose Switch System R/W and then R/W. Should allow you to rename them then.
  12. #112  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Hit the menu button, choose Switch System R/W and then R/W. Should allow you to rename them then.
    i've switched to r/w and i have renamed the .apk's but those applications still show in the app drawer. I want to remove that bloatware, without deleting it, so i can update when available. i apologize if i am being unclear or not understanding. i am completely new to android and just rooted my phone last night. i am completely lost and confused and i could use all the help i can get. including step-by-step instructions on how to flash a new rom. i have been scavenging the forums and i cannot find step-by-step instructions for most of the confusing processes that go along with a rooted phone. also, when i flash a rom that is already in rom manager, how come i lose all my apps and settings even tho ive back them up? thanks in advance to anyone that can help
  13. #113  

    Default

    I'd just move them to a folder on the sd card. Make sure you're in r/w mode, check the box beside each of the apps you want and then hit the Scissors icon on the bottom. Then go up two levels and go to your sdcard. Scroll the icons on the bottom and you should see a folder with a +. Enter a name and hit ok. Long press on the folder you created and choose paste.
  14. #114  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    I'd just move them to a folder on the sd card. Make sure you're in r/w mode, check the box beside each of the apps you want and then hit the Scissors icon on the bottom. Then go up two levels and go to your sdcard. Scroll the icons on the bottom and you should see a folder with a +. Enter a name and hit ok. Long press on the folder you created and choose paste.
    thanks. this worked for moving the apps to the sd card. however, those apps still exist in the app drawer.
  15. #115  

    Default

    Which apps. Do they still show under system/app?
  16. #116  

    Default

    they do not show under system/app but they are in the drawer. apps like blockbuster, bitbop, cityID etc
  17. #117  

    Default

    CityID can be removed manually. Directions here. For blockbuster, go into Manage Applications and make sure it isn't under Running or All. If so open it and choose uninstall. Ignore the error and reboot.
  18. #118  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    CityID can be removed manually. Directions here. For blockbuster, go into Manage Applications and make sure it isn't under Running or All. If so open it and choose uninstall. Ignore the error and reboot.
    thanks a lot. that worked great. i appreciate all the help. now if i could only figure out roms lol
  19. #119  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltredbeard View Post
    First, I want to thank you for the time you've put into helping me learn this. I'm never content just copying and pasting codes and not understanding what they do. I've read through the script, but wanted to take the extra effort to move at least a few apps individually.

    I had been using the chmod, but forgot to the last few times. I added it into the sequence, but still get the same error. See below:

    c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
    /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
    # mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    # /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
    /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
    mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

    The BitBop app is still listed when I do a ls search.
    So we have been through quite the journey... :P

    Lets try this:
    adb shell
    su
    which busybox (this will tell us busy is there and good)
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_* (did this to check permissions)
    busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
    busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    mount -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    exit
    exit


    So you can see it in action:

    C:\Users\Desktop\Desktop\Zach Android\Zach Root>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # which busybox
    which busybox
    /system/xbin/busybox
    # mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    # busybox ls -lrt /system/app
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app
    ..... (i shortened this part)
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 56312 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcFeedback.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 2824 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcCopyright.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7120 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcConnectedMedia.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 16848 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcCdmaMccProvider.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 281040 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHTCSetupWizard.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 262288 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mFlickr.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 43928 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mFlashlight.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 13672 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mDefaultContainerService.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7800 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mCustomizationSettingsProvider.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 836912 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mContactsProvider.odex←[0m
    -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 87552 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mClicker.odex←[0m
    # busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
    busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
    # busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1015 2580095 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk←[0m
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 137411108 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_Golf.apk←[0m
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 28683 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_RockbandStub.apk←[0m
    # busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
    busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
    # busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    # busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
    total 7936
    ----rwxr-x 1 1000 1015 2580095 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32mVZW_BitBop.apk←[0m
    ----rwxr-x 1 1000 1015 5505609 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32mVZW_Rhapsody.apk.bak←[0m
    # busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 137411108 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_Golf.apk←[0m
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 28683 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_RockbandStub.apk←[0m
    Note:
    I did forget to name it ".bak"... for that:
    busybox mv -i /sdcard/disabled.apps/<file name>.apk /sdcard/disabled.apps/<file name>.apk.bak

    Other note:
    My version of "Bloatware" is "disabled.apps"


    WIN???
  20. #120  
    failsafe's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    ROM
    Stock-debloat/Adryn 4.3b

    Default

    Any input on these (force closes or breaking other apps):

    TuneWiki
    SlackerRadio
    VCast Media
    Flickr
    HTCFootprints
    HTCMIM
    NewBayVault_4.2.96.VZMarket

    Also I noticed the following starting up at boot even after Blockbuster was moved:

    PVMtpServiceStart
    PVMmdrmService

    I have moved them (apk and odex) and haven't had any issues.
  21. #121  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntherm View Post
    First please understand complete noob here:

    from command line: (in usb charge only)
    adb shell
    $
    $ su
    permission denied

    Changed to disk drive mode
    $ su
    (phone asked to give permission, accepted)
    # chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh:No such file or directory
    #adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    adb: Not found
    (copied file there manually at this point)
    # chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmove.sh:No such file or directory

    Okay that is what the cmd window has:

    What is it exactly am i missing here?
    Suppose to be in charging mode? Disk drive mode?
    Usb debugging is on. Even tried toggle off/ back on.

    Root Cheek says root is good.
    Super user shows several programs in list that have super user access to include Titanium Back..
    first off, odd that you can't su in usb charge only (thats all i do)
    second: you can't use adb once you are in adb
    third: confirm busybox is installed (through root checker)
    fourth: in regular cmd prompt (after you cd to the dir that has adb) you type:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    fifth: do this:
    adb shell
    su
    busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    ( you forgot your r)

    To avoid spelling mistakes:
    busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltapp*

    did that help?
    Win?
  22. #122  
    Guntherm's Avatar

    Posts
    362 Posts
    ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melch8805 View Post
    first off, odd that you can't su in usb charge only (thats all i do)
    second: you can't use adb once you are in adb
    third: confirm busybox is installed (through root checker)
    fourth: in regular cmd prompt (after you cd to the dir that has adb) you type:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    fifth: do this:
    adb shell
    su
    busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    ( you forgot your r)

    To avoid spelling mistakes:
    busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltapp*

    did that help?
    Win?
    Walking this trhough one step at a time. :
    from cmd line (in usb charge)
    adb shell
    $ su
    #

    So that's good right?

    Root checker says busybox not installed. However titanium says it is, and even downloaded and re-installed busybox to get titanium working?

    So it appears that is one problem.. downloaded and install Busybox v1.19. So now there is two copies running?

    Still in usb charge mode

    Cmd line:
    adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
    adb: permission denied

    So no win for me.

    Very confused to say the least...

    Change to disk drive mode to manually copy file
    copied tboltappmover.sh to root of sdcard

    switched back to usb charge mode
    su
    # busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
    busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

    So that apears that part worked?

    Now what? what is the next thing to do?

    what does: busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh exactly do?

    I realize Cory just posted a way to do this via Root explorer method, however I want to learn this. So I appriciate you help with the command line way.
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  23. #123  

    Default

    Cory...great info. Do you have a list like this for the Droid Pro? It sure would be beneficial to a lot of Pro users. Thanks.
  24. #124  
    C-3PO's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.4

    Thumbs up Cory your the Man!

    I just wanted to say that your Tutorial on Rooting the Thunderbolt was incredibly easy and informable! I am a super noob with this Android stuff! Thunderbolt is my first android device coming from being a Blackberry user for years! Just switched from the Storm 2 so I installed the Swype keyboard and it's a perfect transition from surepress bcuz of the tactile feedback. Anyway, I used your instructions using my Macbook and I have to say it they were perfect, simple and flawless. I am definitely going straight to the Market and getting the File Root Explorer app asap! Thanks Bro, I see why your Loyd's father.. LOL!
  25. #125  

    Default

    I just downloaded/installed QtADB on my Win7 laptop and now I have a GUI interface to the system and to the SD card in which to move the files back and forth between the two. This might help noobs like me trying to learn command line while learning about Android too!
    Thanks,
    Steve
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B