Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Please read carefully and proceed with caution
If you are only looking for the lists, feel free to scroll down to them. That said, there is some very important info before the lists, that I would strongly encourage you read.

This list has been created based on my prior experiences with a variety of devices. I am very confident that the Verizon Bloatware, Live Wallpapers, and Widgets listed below can be safely renamed/moved. I am somewhat confident that the HTC apps can also be safely removed based on pervious experience with both the EVO and Incredible. That said, this is a new device with an updated version of Sense. If you do not want to be a test case, you should wait for others to confirm these apps are safe to remove. Do not throw stones at me if something goes wrong.

Before you begin:
  • Read this procedure to learn how to move files around.
  • Before you start making changes, I would strongly recommend backing up your device with a program like Titanium Backup (also in the market).
  • All of the files below are in /system/app.
  • The most popular file explorer for accessing and moving these files is called Root Explorer. The thread above shows you screen by screen how to use it.
  • Do not delete files. Either:
    1. Renaming them from <filename.apk> to <filename.apk.old>
    2. Use thread refrenced above to help you learn how to move them. Historically, on other phones, OTA updates have failed if apps don't exist. The system folder had to be exactly the way it was when the phone shipped.
  • Before you rename or move an app in the /system/app folder, check the list below. If it is not listed, or you are unsure if it is safe to modify, please ask first. To be safe, I would only remove the apps listed below, until it is updated.
  • If an APK file also has an associated ODEX file, the ODEX can be renamed/moved also.
  • Do not remove any file starting with VzWBA (related to Verizon Backup Manager). Your TB will croak.
The following is a must read if you need to put an app back!

When you move an app (and ODEX if applicable) file, from /system/app to the SD card, the permissions change from rw-r--r-- (to) --rwxr-x. The owner/group changes from root/root to system/sdcard_rw. The app disappears from the app drawer and all is good.

Now, lets say you move them back for some reason:

• When you move them back, the permissions remain what they were on the SD card.
  • The apps (e.g., VZ Nav) will not show up in the app drawer - even after a reboot.
  • You have to put the permissions back to rw-r--r-- and then reboot before they will show up in the app drawer again.
  • If it's Sense related (e.g., one of the widgets), you MUST go into settings > applications > manage applications > HTC Sense > and clear data; otherwise, they will not show up in the widget pick list. After you do so, Sense will revert back to the out of the box config; including wallpapers, widgets, etc.
  • The owner/group of these files will remain system/sdcard_rw, but that doesn't seem to have any negative impact.
The best way to change the permissions - is to use Root Explorer.

1. Move your apps from the SD card to your /system/app folder.
  2. If it isn't already, mount the folder as R/W
  3. Press down on the file you want to change the permissions on then select permissions from the popup. If you get an error that it isn't read/write, then you didn't mount the folder.
  4. Next, you should get a popup that allows you to change permissions. Change them as follows:
Required file permissions if you need to move something back:

Group|Read|Write|Execute

User|Checked|Checked|Not Checked

Group|Checked|Not Checked|Not Checked

Others|Checked|Not Checked|Not Checked

ADB should also be able to do this, but no time for me to try that at the moment.

Now for the The List(s):

Do Not Remove:

Application​
|
Description​
|
Size (MB)​

VzWBAService.apk|VZ Backup Application|
NA​

VzWBAClient.apk|VZ Backup Application|
NA​

VzWBAClient.odex|VZ Backup Application|
NA​

Friendstream.apk/odex|Friendstream - integrated heavily into Sense|
NA​
|Total|
0​

Verizon Applications:

Application​
|
Icon Name​
|
Size (MB)​

VZW_Golf.apk|Let Golf 2|
131.05​

SlackerRadio|Slacker|
123.00​

VZW_Rhapsody.apk|Rhapsody|
5.25​

VzNav.apk|VZ Navigator|
2.67​

TuneWiki.apk|TuneWiki|
2.03​

Kindle-OEM-1.1.1.90750089-20100927.apk|Amazon Kindle|
1.87​

Blockbuster.apk|Blockbuster|
.80​

VCast.apk|V Cast Apps|
.76​

VVM.apk|Verizon Visual Voicemail|
.74​

CityID.apk|City ID|
.64​

VZW_RockBandStub.apk|Rock Band|
.03​

|Total|
271.03​

HTC Widgets:

Application​
|
Icon Name​
|
Size (MB)​

HtcRingtonewidget.apk|Ringtone|
0.06​

HtcProfilewidget.apk|Profile (Sounds)|
0.08​

HtcAutoRotatewidget.apk|Auto-rotate|
0.10​

HtcScreenBrightnesswidget.|Screen Brightness|
0.12​

HtcSyncwidget.apk|Sync All|
0.12​

HtcTipwidget.apk|Tips for Home|
0.20​

HtcDataStripwidget.apk|Data Dashboard|
0.28​

HtcMimwidget.apk|Mobile Instant Messaging|
0.30​

HtcPowerStripwidget.apk|Power Dashboard|
0.34​

com.htc.Twitterwidget.apk|Twitter for HTC Sense|
0.37​

htccalendarwidgets.apk|Calendar|
0.41​

com.htc.FriendStreamwidget|Friend Stream|
0.51​

htcmsgwidgets.apk|Messages|
0.57​

HtcGreaderwidget.apk|News|
0.58​

com.htc.Stockwidget.apk|Stocks|
0.60​

HtcFootprintswidget.apk|Footprints|
0.72​

com.htc.Weatherwidget.apk|Weather|
0.78​

com.htc.Musicwidget.apk|Music|
0.83​

htcmailwidgets.apk|Mail|
0.90​

htccontactwidgets.apk|People|
1.08​

HtcPhotowidget.apk|Photo|
1.13​

htcbookmarkwidget.apk|Bookmarks|
1.16​

HtcCalculatorwidget.apk|Calculator|
1.18​

com.htc.FMRadiowidget.apk|FM Radio|
1.75​

HtcClockwidget.apk|Clock|
2.11​

HtcAddProgramwidget.apk|Add Program|
3.26​

|Total|
19.54​

Wallpapers:

Application​
|
Icon Name​
|
Size (MB)​

LiveWallpapers.apk||
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk|Live Wallpapers Picker|
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk|HTC Magic Smoke|
Mode10Wallpapers.apk|Google Live Wallpaper|
VisualizationWallpapers.apk||
|Total|

Other:

Application​
|
Icon Name​
|
Size (MB)​

appsharing.apk|App Sharing|
calculator.apk|Calculator|
Flashlight.apk|Flashlight|
Flickr.apk|Flickr|
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk|Google Search|
HtcCarPanel.apk|Car Panel|
HTCLocationPicker.apk|Location Picker|
HTCSetupWizard.apk|Setup|
HtcSoundRecorder.apk|Voice Recorder|
HtcStreamPlayer.apk|Streaming Media Player|
HtcTwitter.apk|HTC Twitter|
HTMLViewer.apk|HTML Viewer|
QuickLookup.apk|Quick Lookup|
Quickoffice.apk|Quick Office|
SocialNetworkProvider.apk||
Stock.apk|Stocks|
Street.apk|Street View|
VoiceDialer.apk|Voice Dialer|
VoiceSearch.apk|Voice Search|
WidgetDwonloadManager.apk|HTC Download More Widgets|
WifiRouter.apk|Mobile Hotspoot|
AdobeReader.apk|Adober Reader|
HTCFMRadio.apk|HTC FM Radio|
VoiceSearch.apk|Voice Search|
WidgetDwonloadManager.apk|HTC Download More Widgets|
htctwitter.apk|Peep|
HtcMim.apk|MobileIM|
HTCFMRadio.apk|HTC FM Radio|
|Total|
|​

Notes:
  • There will be others, I'm sure, but I won't be the first to try.
  • If there are additional apps that you have successfully renamed or moved, please post them in this thread.
Suggested alternatives for removed apps:
  • Instead of the built in browser use Dolphin HD.
  • Use Google Maps with Navigation instead of VZ Navigator.
  • Buy apps through the Amazon MP3 store instead of the VCast music app.
  • Convert movies using DVD Catalyst 3, then transfer to your SD card instead of using the VCast video app.
  • For file browsing try using Root Explorer.
  • Search AppBrain for a free caller ID - instead of the subscription based CityID app.
  • Instead of the Verizon IM client search AppBrain for an IM client app and/or stick to the built in Gtalk application.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted.

A lot of people root their phone's because they want to remove that pesky bloatware. After they've rooted (Either with their Mac or with their PC), they often ask, "Now how do I move the bloatware?" This procedure answers that question in detail. I use a file explorer called "Root Explorer" in this post because it's the most popular app when it comes to folder mounting and file manipulation. It's a paid app and will cost you a double tall latte.

Post #2 will walk you through the process of using Super Manager another file explorer that will also accomplish the job.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 & 2: Download, install, and open Root Explorer:

Steps1thru3.png

Steps 3 - 5: Use Root Explorer to get to the bloatware:

Steps3thru5.png

Steps 6 - 8: Select the bloatware you want to move and click move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps6thru8.png

Steps 9 - 11: Navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Steps9thru11.png

Steps 12 - 14: Create a new folder on your SD card -- to park those files -- and then paste/move them in there:

Steps12thru14.png

The Bloatware has been moved. Depending on which apps you moved over - you might get a few force closes:

steps15thru17.png

FinalResult.png

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted.

As promised, here is the procedure for using a free file management alternative like Super Manager. It's hard to argue with free, but I still love Root Explorer.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 thru 3: Download, install, run, and setup Super Manager:

Steps1thru3.png

Steps 4 - 6: Enable and allow root:

Steps4thru6.png

Steps 7 - 9: By default, Super Manager opens the SD Card directory. You need to go up a few levels to the "Root" folder:

Steps7thru9.png

Steps 10 - 12: Now you're going to navigate to the /system/app folder and choose which apps to move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps10thru12-1.png

Steps 13 - 15: Once you've finished selecting apps, you're going to navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Steps13thru15-1.png

Create a new folder on your SD card to move the files to:

Steps16thru18-2.png

Next you're going to paste/move the files:

Steps19thru21.png

congrats.png

Azturbomini

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the valuable information Cory. As soon as I root I will start moving most of the files you have listed to my SD card. Quick question, when moved to the SD card do the files still need to be renamed?
Thanks again!

MarkGuutz

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The city id program can be removed form the program itself.

I found this out the other day.

Go into the program and choose subscription status i believe> end free trial> uninstall.

thanks for the tip! just removed it now. cant wait to get rid of the rest of the bloatware

heffe2001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you can remove /system/etc/CDROM.ISO to get rid of that prompt to install the Verizon drivers every time you plug your phone in, and HtcFootprints.apk to remove Footprints.

Reactions: jeffnucci

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Would we be able to disable or remove the Backup Assistant?

On past phones removing BA pricked the phone until you reflashed it.

so on my phone, if you uninstall any htc widget rosie wont load

Are you absolutely certain it was removing a widget that did this? Widgets shouldn't cause this to happen. There'san apkcalled Rosie. Is it possible you deleted that.

lite_x

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the list.

But for the love of whatever anyone might consider holy, is there a way to get rid of the recent apps in the notification pulldown?