Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

m.albertlee

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Two Apps - Slacker Radio and Tune Wiki,

Can I remove them and if so, how can I remove them? They pop up and restart everytime I kill them in Open Advanced Task Killer and takes up RAM.

Anybody got an idea?

kyrumo

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I removed the 3 files associated with VZW Backup assistant and all is good, I removed them when I had the DINC when I had it as well

AisforAustin

Aug 18, 2010
www.twitter.com
If you can't get it to mount as R/W you are probably not rooted. Try another root app to be sure, such as shootme or adfree. If neither works, you are not rooted for sure.

I am rooted. I am able to use ROM Manager and ShootMe

snap20110320201143.jpg

Last edited:

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Scripted... T-BOLT App Mover!

Everyone,

Here is a little script thrown together to automate the processing a little bit...

Instructions:
1) Root your phone first!
2) Download "tboltappmover.txt" (its attached to this post)
3) Ensure busybox is installed!! (To check and see if it is installed properly download Root Checker from the Market. If busybox is NOT installed right, then go to the Market and install busybox)
4) Run the commands below via adb
5) Reboot phone via the power button (hold down and select restart)
6) Win? :p

Please open the file and comment out (using # as the first character of the line) or delete lines you do not want to be moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

######## CMD LINE INSTRUCTS ################

to use adb: (make sure script is in the same dir as adb)

-->starting with the text file tboltappmover.txt then do the following 2 commands:

adb push tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/
adb shell
mv /sdcard/tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh​

-->starting with tboltappmover already renamed to .sh then do the following command:
adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/​

-->Now with the script on the scard run the following 8 commands:
adb shell chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard/
./tboltappmover.sh
rm /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh (used to remove the script)
exit
exit​

############### END INSTRUCTS ####################

WARNING: You may or may not have to accept super user on your phone. Make sure you look at your phone's screen!!

It is pretty straight forward. You will have a folder on your sdcard named disabled.apps that contain all your apps you have moved.

Don't forget to reboot to actually remove app icon. I didn't want to script this in and freak people out with a phone that restarted on its own...

Notes:I have busybox running from /system/xbin/ so you may need to modify depending on where you installed it (just use replace in notepad).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you edit the script before you run it! this will move all the apps that were listed if unedited!!!!!!!!

If you run this script it will move all the apk's listed on the front page. This means there is a possibility that apps, which are dependent on other info/apps, may freak your phone out if moved. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE edit the script to remove only the apk's you are not using!

also, i am not responsible for your devices, run at your own risk... blah blah blah

Attachments

• tboltappmover.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: k33gs

hpfalcon

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Everyone,

Here is a little script thrown together to automate the processing a little bit...

Instructions:
D/L tboltappmover.txt

Please open the file and comment out (using #) or delete lines you do not want to be moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rename to tboltappmover.sh
move tboltappmover.sh to the same folder as adb (or right to sdcard)
>if you prefer adb (i do) adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
>file needs chmod to execute = adb shell chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
then all you need to do is execute and let the magic begin!

It is pretty straight forward. you will have a folder on your sdcard named disabled.apps that contain all your apps you have moved.

Don't forget to reboot to actually remove app icon. I didn't want to freak people out with a phone that restarted on its own...

Notes:
I have busybox running from /system/xbin/ so you may need to modify depending on where you installed it (just use replace in notepad).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you edit the text file before you run it! this will move all the apps that were listed if unedited!!!!!!!!

also, i am not responsible for your devices, run at your own risk... blah blah blah

Hi, thanks for the script. When i try to chmod, it says permission denied. Not really sure why this is happening, im pretty new at this (though I rooted successfully). Also, when you say execute, do I just execute using a file manager on the phone? (I use androzip, since its free)

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the script. When i try to chmod, it says permission denied. Not really sure why this is happening, im pretty new at this (though I rooted successfully). Also, when you say execute, do I just execute using a file manager on the phone? (I use androzip, since its free)

Does the script comeback with this error?? try moving the "mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system" to the first line after the #!

Let me know. I can't double check this for you now since I'm at work.

pman555

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This may be a noob-type question, and I'm ok with that as I've only rooted my old D1 once with a one-click method and quickly unrooted it.

I am waiting for a one-click root method for the TB so that I can remove all of the bloatware. When you say that you cant get any OTA updates if all of the bloatware doesnt exist, do you mean that you can never actually remove all of the bloatware? If you move the bloatware to the SD card like you recommended, do you have to move it back to the system folder in order to receive an OTA update?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
This may be a noob-type question, and I'm ok with that as I've only rooted my old D1 once with a one-click method and quickly unrooted it.

I am waiting for a one-click root method for the TB so that I can remove all of the bloatware. When you say that you cant get any OTA updates if all of the bloatware doesnt exist, do you mean that you can never actually remove all of the bloatware? If you move the bloatware to the SD card like you recommended, do you have to move it back to the system folder in order to receive an OTA update?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Pman,

Most likely when you get into the world of root you will start going down the road of roms... then you don't need to worry about any of OTA updates.

However, I believe it was confirmed that all the bloatware has to be in its original locations in order for an OTA to work. Perhaps even unrooted?

Anways, just moving apps to the sdcard will give you a good sense of what you can do with out and what you need. It is easy to return an app back to its proper location. So moving to the sdcard is a kind of test. Later you are probably just going to want to remove uneeded apps permanently.

I hope that answers your question...

pman555

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Pman,

Most likely when you get into the world of root you will start going down the road of roms... then you don't need to worry about any of OTA updates.

However, I believe it was confirmed that all the bloatware has to be in its original locations in order for an OTA to work. Perhaps even unrooted?

Anways, just moving apps to the sdcard will give you a good sense of what you can do with out and what you need. It is easy to return an app back to its proper location. So moving to the sdcard is a kind of test. Later you are probably just going to want to remove uneeded apps permanently.

I hope that answers your question...

Thanks for the reply.
It sort of answers my question.

I'm not sure whether I want to get into the world of roms. I usually prefer leaving things as "stock" as possible. The main and possibly only reason I would want to root my phone is to remove the bloatware.

So hypothetically, lets just say that I have already rooted my phone and moved the bloatware. If I hear there is an OTA update going around, would I move the bloatware back to the system folder and then unroot my phone in order to receive the OTA?

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
It sort of answers my question.

I'm not sure whether I want to get into the world of roms. I usually prefer leaving things as "stock" as possible. The main and possibly only reason I would want to root my phone is to remove the bloatware.

So hypothetically, lets just say that I have already rooted my phone and moved the bloatware. If I hear there is an OTA update going around, would I move the bloatware back to the system folder and then unroot my phone in order to receive the OTA?

Perhaps, time will tell though. AndIRC already put out a warning not to d/l the OTA update that is coming. Apparently it will kill the rooting. But in theory, yes. You should just be able to move apps back and unroot.

-Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Reactions: pman555

pman555

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, time will tell though. AndIRC already put out a warning not to d/l the OTA update that is coming. Apparently it will kill the rooting. But in theory, yes. You should just be able to move apps back and unroot.

-Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Well I havent rooted yet, so the OTA shouldnt affect me.
Thanks for the warning though!

uclemonbee

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
so i just used super manager to cut all the apps from the phone and placed them on my sd... instead it just copied everything to my sd... and i tried to go back through and just delete the old one... they wont delete... any help?

NateS#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Open command prompt and do:
adb push tboltappmover.sh /data/local
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
adb shell
su
sh /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
rm /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
exit

When you do "su" you have to accept on your phone screen.

NateS#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey I moved com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk and then decided I wanted to keep it. I moved it back, but it doesn't show up in my widgets. Any ideas?

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Open command prompt and do:
adb push tboltappmover.sh /data/local
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
adb shell
su
sh /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
rm /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
exit

When you do "su" you have to accept on your phone screen.

Thanks for clarifying that for them.