[Mac Procedure]: How to Root the HTC Thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
[NOTE]THIS METHOD WILL NO LONGER WORK WITH THE VERIZON OTA GINGERBREAD UPDATE![/NOTE]

Introduction:

The following procedure is for Mac users wishing to root your Thunderbolt using ADB. The files I'm using in this procedure are the same files being posted everywhere else. The only difference in this procedure is that it is written for us Mac users.

It might look a little intimidating (due to its length), but there is actually a lot of copying and pasting you can do. I am also very detailed, for you noobies out there. I decided to put this together, because the 1-click methods out there still require user interaction, and in some cases the commands in the 1-click scripts do not finish because they hang at one or more of the ADB commands embedded in the script. This process allows you to copy and paste what I've written into the terminal window. Entire root process should take around 30 minutes.

One important thing to know: You will lose all apps and data. Meaning you will need to reinstall and reconfigure all email accounts, settings, and applications that you download from the market. You should also know that there is always some level of risk when flashing ROM's and using procedures such as this one to root. I wrote the procedure, but I take no credit for anything else. Check the credits at the bottom of this page for those who made this all possible. With that, let's get started.

The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.
IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police, Team AndIRC and Android Central disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

The instructions below assume you already have a strong familiarity with adb command lines – this is not for beginners.

Section 1 (Please reference this section if you post problems):

Files + Video:

1. It's extremely important that you download the necessary files to the proper place. If you want to watch a quick video on how and where to download the files properly you can watch the video in: Post #2. As an added bonus, I also talk about using terminal, adb, and what to expect when you are in bootloader mode throughout the procedure.

2. Download the following file to your Macintosh HD root folder: android-sdk-mac_x86.zip (includes all other files needed)
question-1.jpg
Using Safari: click link to open Multiupload page --> right click the direct download button > download linked file as > click macintosh HD > click save
3. Open Finder - on your Mac - and double click the "android-sdk-mac_x86.zip" in your Macintosh HD root folder to extract.
question-1.jpg
Using Safari downloads window: right click android-sdk-mac_x86.zip > click show in finder > double-click android-sdk-mac_x86.zip
4. Download the following file to your SD card: PG05IMG_downgrade.zip
question-1.jpg
Using Safari: click link to open Multiupload page --> right click the direct download button > download linked file as > click No Name in upper left corner (your SD card) > click save
*Make sure this file is not inside any folders on your SD card
5. On your SD card rename: PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to PG05IMG.zip
question-1.jpg
Using Finder: open No Name (SD Card) > left click on file name > now left click again > delete "_downgrade" > then click away from file.
FYI -- Regarding Mac Disk Errors:

At various points -- throughout this procedure -- your Mac may display a disk error message like the one below. You can safely click Ignore when you see "The disk you have ejected was not readable by this computer" and click OK when you see "This disk was not ejected properly."

Do the following on your Thunderbolt:

1. If your TB is plugged into your Mac – unplug it now.
  2. Then hit the menu capacitive button > settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  3. Plug the TB into your computer (you will leave it plugged in for the duration of this procedure).
  4. Swipe down the notification panel.
  5. You will see "Charge Only: Select to change USB connection type" --> press it.
  6. Select Disk Drive and then click Done.
macappfolder-1-1.jpg

Opening Terminal on the Mac:

1. Open applications > go to utilities > then open terminal.
  2. Enlarge the terminal window for easier viewing.
  3. Syntax notes:
    • You do not type the $ before any of the commands below. The $ represents the command prompt and is shown for illustration purposes only.
    • To avoid errors, for more complex commands, I recommended copying from this post to the terminal. All you need to do is 1) select the line in this window 2) hit command-c and then 3) hit command-v in terminal to paste it.
    • You DO need to type the period in front of each command. For example: the period here: ./adb devices is part of the command. It will not work without it. If you copy and paste lines, as I recommend, it is important to get the period during the selection.
    • Unless otherwise specified, you should never see an error after entering a command. If you did, double-check that you just entered the correct thing.
    • For the more curious, I will give you a complete rundown of what each command does in post #2.
    • Please do not PM me with questions or problems. Unfortunately, I'm only able to respond to PM's related to forum administration :/ If something doesn't work right, please select, copy, and paste the last several lines of your terminal session into a new post in this thread.

terminal.png

Enter or copy/paste the following ./adb (without the $) lines into terminal:

Tip: I copied and pasted my entire terminal output to the attached PDF. Feel free to use it as a supplement as you proceed.

$ cd ..
$ cd ..
$ cd and*
$ cd tools
$ ./adb devices

Warning-1-1.png
Terminal should return a result that displays your device (the name will vary from the one shown). If it doesn't show as attached, you will not be able to continue.

connecteddevices.jpg
$ ./adb push busybox /data/local/
$ ./adb push psneuter /data/local/
$ ./adb push misc.img /data/local/
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
$ ./adb shell /data/local/psneuter

note-1.jpg
After your run psneuter ADB is die but will restart itself:

psneuterdies.jpg

This is not a problem.
$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img

Warning-1-1.png
The terminal window must display the following checksum: c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de

Checksummiscimg.jpg
$ ./adb shell dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
$ ./adb reboot bootloader

Section 2 (Please reference this section if you post problems):

Once you're in Bootloader

1. Bootloader should be highlighted in blue -> Press the power button to execute.
  2. The screen will change and Fastboot will be selected. Around 10 seconds later it will then proceed to the next step.
  3. You should see several files loaded and checked. Don't freak out at the warnings. The screen will eventually clear and you will see "checking pd05img.zip."
  4. Eventually, you will be asked: Do you want to start update? Press the volume up button to say yes.
  5. Once you do, you will see a progress bar in the upper right corner and a bunch of stuff going on in the middle. Just be patient and let it do its thing.
  6. Press power to reboot.

thunderbolt-1.jpg

Once Sense is booted up, unlock your screen to enter the setup wizard.
  1. Hit Next > Skip > Skip Setup > Next > Next > Next > Finish
  2. Then hit the menu capacitive button > settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  3. Swype down on notification panel.
  4. You will see "Charge Only: Select to change USB connection type" --> press it.
  5. Select Disk Drive and then click Done.

Folder_icon-1.png

Files:

1. Open your SD card via Finder and delete PG05IMG.zip.
  2. Next, download & copy this new PG05IMG.zip file to your SD card.

terminal.png

$ ./adb devices

Warning-1-1.png
Terminal should return a result that displays your device (the name will vary from the one shown). If it doesn't show as attached, you will not be able to continue.

connecteddevices.jpg
$ ./adb push wpthis /data/local/
$ ./adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis

note-1.jpg
after your run psneuter ADB is killed but will restart itself:

psneuterdies.jpg

This is not a problem.
$ ./adb shell /data/local/wpthis
$ ./adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0

Warning-1-1.png
The terminal window must display the following checksum: 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb

checksumhboot.jpg
$ ./adb shell dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
$ ./adb reboot bootloader

bootloaderskaters.jpg

Once you're in Bootloader:

1. Bootloader should be highlighted in blue -> Press the power button to execute.
  2. The screen will change and Fastboot will be selected. Around 10 seconds later it will then proceed to the next step.
  3. You should see several files loaded and checked. Don't freak out at the warnings. The screen will eventually clear and you will see "checking pd05img.zip."
  4. Eventually, you will be asked: Do you want to start update? Press the volume up button to say yes.
  5. Once you do, you will see a progress bar in the upper right corner and a bunch of stuff going on in the middle. Just be patient and let it do its thing.
  6. Press power to reboot.

thunderbolt-1.jpg

Once Sense is booted up, unlock your screen to enter the setup wizard:
  1. Hit Next > Skip > Skip Setup > Next > Next > Next > Finish
  3. Swipe down on notification panel.
  4. You will see "Charge Only: Select to change USB connection type" --> press it.
  5. Select Disk Drive and then click Done.
  6. Now open up Finder and delete: PG05IMG.zip from your SD card.

terminal.png

$ ./adb devices

Warning-1-1.png

connecteddevices.jpg
$ ./adb push su /data/local/

note-1.jpg
after your run psneuter ADB is killed but will restart itself:

psneuterdies.jpg

This is not a problem.
$ ./adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
$ ./adb shell /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/su /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb shell chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
$ ./adb reboot

Install Superuser from the Market:

snap20110330_182600.png

Reboot:

snap20110330_182616.png

To Test Root:

Download a root required app, like shootme, and test.

If it doesn't work, try rebooting a few times.

Credits:

• Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC
  • Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis, source here
  • Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here
  • psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here
  • All firmware credit goes to 911sniper
  • AC Adviser, DroidXcon, for helping me find the errors in my ways.
  • Link to original tutorial that this is based off of can be found here.

P.S. :p

androidapple.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be inserting more posts here just for you Mac users out there, so keep checking for updates. Much of what I will be adding is scattered across multiple other threads. Which is cool, but I want to give our Mac users a one stop shop for a variety of topics.

I wont share full details here yet, but more content is coming very soon. Like today.

That's said, here are a few cryptic notes.

1. I tested this procedure a total of 6 times. Three times each on two phones. It works.

2. Once rooted you can:

• Remove bloatware like Blockbuster, VZ apps, bitbop, and all that other stuff Verizon put on the TB. You will need to install a program called "Root Explorer" from the Market in order to do this.
  • Install popular root required applications like "shoot me", a screen capture program.
  • Install custom ROM's and kernels.
  • Create full system backups via Clockwork
  • Use root required backup programs like Titanium backup.
  • Screw things up royally if you start messing with things you shouldn't be messing with.

3. More experienced adb users might wonder why I do every single command via a terminal prompt vs. going into the shell for certain things. If you're experienced enough to understand this, you will likely do so, despite my instructions. I wanted the procedure to be uniform, copy/paste friendly, and easy for everyone, regardless of skill level. Plus I'm really OCD about format and things lining up in a uniform way :p

4. The very last command, prior to the reboot, installs an older version of superuser. It works fine without any problems. That said, you can update it in the market, or skip my install step all together and download it after the reboot. I bundled up the older version into the SDK zip and didn't realize it until later.

5. I did not instruct anyone to install Clockwork.
  • If you plan on installing custom ROM's, or want to take a complete snapshot of your current ROM for backup purposes, you should install it.
  • Clockwork is installed using a program called "ROM Manager" in the market.

Reactions: milwaukee613

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have not performed this procedure however this is one of the most well layed out and complete set of directions I've seen yet. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. It's people like you that make this hobby possible for people like me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have not performed this procedure however this is one of the most well layed out and complete set of directions I've seen yet. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. It's people like you that make this hobby possible for people like me.

+1

Cory this looks outstanding, infact i want to buy a Mac and a TB just so i can follow this method :D

httr

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Already rooted and haven't had a mac since the PPC iBook but this guide looks fantastic. Nice job.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The file in step 1 is not available through your link. Is there somewhere else to download it? I assume it is what I need to do the adb files?

Actually, the one DroidXcon linked to isn't the right one. So, if you downloaded that, please delete it. I have fixed the original link.

The procedure has now been tested twice, and I am confident it works.

Thanks everyone for your compliments.

Reactions: hoffer1120#AC

hunterxkovach

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
just finished up and this worked without any issues. im new to rooting phones without using a one click method and this was by far the best step by step set of instructions ive been able to find and feel comfortable using. thanks to all!

smartass12

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
nevermind..my bad, but....followed the steps...at the beginning i cant get terminal to show my device, is just says no such file or directory, anybody??

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
nevermind..my bad, but....followed the steps...at the beginning i cant get terminal to show my device, is just says no such file or directory, anybody??

Type the following in terminal:

$ pwd
$ ls -al

Do not type the $ in front of either command. Copy and paste the results in a post.

smartass12

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
help...so im the second phase of bootloader and it doesnt find the zip file. i deleted the first as instructed and download/paste the second on my sd card. any ideas?

smartass12

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
am i screwed (bricked)?? not sure how i screwed up, just copy and paste..the first part went fine..second part was going fine ( all info/number came back the same as this thread) just says (very quick..hard to read) no image or wrong image found on last line after power button select on bootloader

JackieO1212

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you

This was my first SmartPhone and my very first time rooting. I figured, if you're going to jump in, why not go all the way?? I didn't want to use the one click, I really wanted to learn (pretty scary knowing I could be one typo away from breaking my new phone!). A big "thank you" as this was very easy to follow, and I did it without a hitch on the first try! I'll definitely be back for more! ;)

Thanks again!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Great news JackieO1212!

am i screwed (bricked)?? not sure how i screwed up, just copy and paste..the first part went fine..second part was going fine ( all info/number came back the same as this thread) just says (very quick..hard to read) no image or wrong image found on last line after power button select on bootloader

How long have you waited? It will give you some errors like that. But it will keep going. Do not interrupt it. Tell me what you see now.

P.S. no you haven't bricked it.

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
i had a similar problem as the above poster..could not find directory..after typing in those commands this is what came up in terminal.

Last login: Sat Mar 26 13:27:10 on ttys001
Billy-Ds-Macbook:~ William$ pwd
/Users/William
Billy-Ds-Macbook:~ William$ ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x+ 18 William staff 612 Mar 26 13:27 .
drwxrwxr-t 7 root admin 238 Aug 20 2010 ..
-rw------- 1 William staff 3 Aug 20 2010 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rw-r--r--@ 1 William staff 15364 Mar 23 00:40 .DS_Store
drwx------ 52 William staff 1768 Mar 17 21:22 .Trash
drwxr-xr-x 3 William staff 102 Mar 26 13:27 .android
-rw------- 1 William staff 326 Mar 26 13:30 .bash_history
drwx------ 3 William staff 102 Oct 22 08:15 .cups
drwxr-xr-x 4 root staff 136 Mar 17 20:48 .shsh
drwx------+ 16 William staff 544 Mar 17 21:22 Desktop
drwx------+ 11 William staff 374 Feb 28 10:45 Documents
drwx------+ 15 William staff 510 Mar 26 13:22 Downloads
drwx------+ 41 William staff 1394 Mar 23 00:44 Library
drwx------+ 12 William staff 408 Jan 24 10:13 Movies
drwx------+ 11 William staff 374 Dec 9 17:17 Music
drwx------+ 10 William staff 340 Dec 11 12:48 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+ 5 William staff 170 Aug 20 2010 Public
drwxr-xr-x+ 6 William staff 204 Feb 18 07:43 Sites
Billy-Ds-Macbook:~ William$

smartass12

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I waited for like a half an hour , finally had to leave for work . I needed my phone so I just restarted in bootloader. my phone works but I'm assuming not rooted because I think complete the steps. I got through the first phone reboots fine , do I need to start all over again or can I continue from there somehow

Reactions: m.genena
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc