1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Knowledge] Know what you are mounting?

So there has been a couple issues I have seen where people are mounting random numbered "blocks" as read/write....

This may not be good.....

So I offer upon you (the reader) the break out of the blocks!!!

########### Start Break Down ##############

dev: size erasesize name
    mmcblk0p17: 00040000 00000200 "misc"
    mmcblk0p21: 0087f400 00000200 "recovery"
    mmcblk0p22: 00400000 00000200 "boot"
    mmcblk0p25: 35dffe00 00000200 "system"
    mmcblk0p28: 001ffe00 00000200 "local"
    mmcblk0p27: 1b4ffc00 00000200 "cache"
    mmcblk0p26: a7c00000 00000200 "userdata"
    mmcblk0p29: 014bfe00 00000200 "devlog"
    mmcblk0p30: 00040000 00000200 "pdata"

########### End Break Down ##################

Please be safe and do NOT do ANYTHING unless you are 100% sure of what it is you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by melch8805; 03-26-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by melch8805 View Post
    So there has been a couple issues I have seen where people are mounting random numbered "blocks" as read/write....

Please be safe and do NOT do ANYTHING unless you are 100% sure of what it is you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol this is so ironic i can't even tell you
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    lol this is so ironic i can't even tell you
    hows that?

Because you are giving them the information and then saying stay away from it. It is like laying a steak bone in front of a dog and then telling him he "should" stay away from it!

In your effort to be helpful, you may have made things worse
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by scassel View Post
    Because you are giving them the information and then saying stay away from it. It is like laying a steak bone in front of a dog and then telling him he "should" stay away from it!

Not really.... I want to avoid hours of useless searching for this information, so I posted it here.

I provided a warning with this information because i thought it mandatory on some level. The end result (in my head anyways) was for people trying to break into this game would see the above info and further google to find out what each is for.

I guess in a perfect work it would work as "I know i need to do/add/remove xyz file, but the I cannot because it is read only. I just did research and found where it needs to go" Not "hmmm... lets mount block xyz as rw and see what happens!" (hence the reason i said "... unless you are 100% sure...")

If someone thinks this information is too harmful, then by all means request this thread to be locked and deleted.

On the other hand, the fine folks of andIRC are stressing to use their method of rooting so people know what is really going on with their phone. I agree. But part of the root is pushing files to certain blocks. Why those certain blocks? The above info is a good jumping point for research.

Again, I stress: If someone thinks this information is too harmful, then by all means request this thread to be locked and deleted.
    Thanked by:

I have to disagree....i find this extremely helpful. You could do what I did and just use a mount code that someone posted or you could use this to mount the proper file. I was mounting the recovery file before this post instead of the system file. Knowledge is power as long as you use it properly.

Thanks melch8805.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Lol thats funny but no i was saying that because someone had trouble with mounting last night , and the command was for rooting a fascinate, so the mount command was wrong and we ended up in a boot loop , so moral is when hacking copy and paste is not always your friend
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Not really.... I want to avoid hours of useless searching for this information, so I posted it here.

I provided a warning with this information because i thought it mandatory on some level. The end result (in my head anyways) was for people trying to break into this game would see the above info and further google to find out what each is for.

I guess in a perfect work it would work as "I know i need to do/add/remove xyz file, but the I cannot because it is read only. I just did research and found where it needs to go" Not "hmmm... lets mount block xyz as rw and see what happens!" (hence the reason i said "... unless you are 100% sure...")

If someone thinks this information is too harmful, then by all means request this thread to be locked and deleted.

On the other hand, the fine folks of andIRC are stressing to use their method of rooting so people know what is really going on with their phone. I agree. But part of the root is pushing files to certain blocks. Why those certain blocks? The above info is a good jumping point for research.

Again, I stress: If someone thinks this information is too harmful, then by all means request this thread to be locked and deleted.
    There is still a huge group of people in this community who refuse to research and be informed and expect those of us with the know how to spoon-feed them what they want on their terms.

You can access this information posted in the OP by opening a terminal shell on your phone or through adb and typing "cat /proc/emmc".

Since the Thunderbolt came out, I've spent hours on IRC helping idiots root their phones... Idiots who either can't read or don't care to read. All of this stuff is not difficult once you learn and if it is difficult to you, don't continue attempting to root or do other things and then come crying to a developer to fix your "bricked" phone.

I believe that everyone deserves a fair first and second chance to learn something properly, which is why if I see someone who is a little lost but has the idea right, I will spend my time teaching them how things work. When you give someone the right tools to empower themselves it goes a long way and generally that person will continue to self-teach and pass his or her information along to the next n00b.
    -Verizon Moto X 16GB Black. I should have done Moto Maker...
    -iMac 21.5" Early-2009 running 10.9
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Lol thats funny but no i was saying that because someone had trouble with mounting last night , and the command was for rooting a fascinate, so the mount command was wrong and we ended up in a boot loop , so moral is when hacking copy and paste is not always your friend
    I see a lot of that.... someone trying to use another phone's root... *sigh* LOL
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnucci View Post
    There is still a huge group of people in this community who refuse to research and be informed and expect those of us with the know how to spoon-feed them what they want on their terms.

You can access this information posted in the OP by opening a terminal shell on your phone or through adb and typing "cat /proc/emmc".

Since the Thunderbolt came out, I've spent hours on IRC helping idiots root their phones... Idiots who either can't read or don't care to read. All of this stuff is not difficult once you learn and if it is difficult to you, don't continue attempting to root or do other things and then come crying to a developer to fix your "bricked" phone.

I believe that everyone deserves a fair first and second chance to learn something properly, which is why if I see someone who is a little lost but has the idea right, I will spend my time teaching them how things work. When you give someone the right tools to empower themselves it goes a long way and generally that person will continue to self-teach and pass his or her information along to the next n00b.
    I hear ya! I'm in #thunderbolt most nights trying to figure out how a person messed up the step-by-step instructions just to find out they skipped a whole step or are trying to root a whole different phone (!!! yeah...)

I was googling all over the place trying to find this info (even had corninacakes looking too :P) and could not find where this info was. Jeffnucci, I actually think it was you that finally steered me in the right direction to find this info (thanks btw )

I thought about giving a brief description of what each block was (cuz i researched it after finding emmc) and adding that, but then figured it would be better if the people researched it for themselves.

People, don't get me wrong, I am ALL about helping!! But as Jeffnucci was saying, don't come and ask for help if you have no idea what is up from down. The people that help need information on what happened to the phone or rom or whatever... That is where a decent base knowledge is pretty much required...

I was hoping (i even had my fingers crossed) that the first post (no offense Droidxcon) was going to be something like: "Ah sweeeeet!!! I've been searching for this info! Can you please tell me where you found it?"

I thought having the knowledge out there was good, but what really thought that having the knowledge out there would inspire people to find out where that info actually came from (cuz this stuff just doesn't just magically appear on the internet when a phone comes out - someone has to find it!)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I hear ya! I'm in #thunderbolt most nights trying to figure out how a person messed up the step-by-step instructions just to find out they skipped a whole step or are trying to root a whole different phone (!!! yeah...)

I was googling all over the place trying to find this info (even had corninacakes looking too :P) and could not find where this info was. Jeffnucci, I actually think it was you that finally steered me in the right direction to find this info (thanks btw )

I thought about giving a brief description of what each block was (cuz i researched it after finding emmc) and adding that, but then figured it would be better if the people researched it for themselves.

People, don't get me wrong, I am ALL about helping!! But as Jeffnucci was saying, don't come and ask for help if you have no idea what is up from down. The people that help need information on what happened to the phone or rom or whatever... That is where a decent base knowledge is pretty much required...

I was hoping (i even had my fingers crossed) that the first post (no offense Droidxcon) was going to be something like: "Ah sweeeeet!!! I've been searching for this info! Can you please tell me where you found it?"

I thought having the knowledge out there was good, but what really thought that having the knowledge out there would inspire people to find out where that info actually came from (cuz this stuff just doesn't just magically appear on the internet when a phone comes out - someone has to find it!)
    No problem, what's your handle in IRC? I'm in #thunderbolt a lot trying to help out as you know. I'm jeffnucci everywhere lol
    -Verizon Moto X 16GB Black. I should have done Moto Maker...
    -iMac 21.5" Early-2009 running 10.9
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnucci View Post
    No problem, what's your handle in IRC? I'm in #thunderbolt a lot trying to help out as you know. I'm jeffnucci everywhere lol
    Same as here, melch8805.

So I want to help my buddies root their phones (they are all impressed what you can do after rooting), but I don't want to mount the wrong block. Where did you find this, because I've been searching and cant even find it for the thunderbolt.