Rooting to help battery?

Jace

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Excuse the somewhat simple question, but I couldn't find good info on this anywhere. Will rooting help with TB battery life, in other ways than removing bloatware? i.e. over/underclocking it, improving processor usage somehow? Would it be a significant increase?

Thanks!

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I recently rooted and flashed the perfect storm(rom) and I haven't noticed better battery life. If anything it seems worse. But who knows what that could be... I'm still playing with any every setting available. Still to no avail of decent battery life...

Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap

JManangan

Jan 28, 2011
www.johnmanangan.com
You should look into SetCPU now that you are rooted. It really has helped my battery life.
Underclocking the CPU when the screen is off really is the life saver.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have set CPU and I'm using it lowest settings possible when screen is off. But I also had words with friends refreshing every 5 minutes when its not needed. It needs push notifications like wordfeud. But thats a whole different beast

JManangan

Jan 28, 2011
www.johnmanangan.com
Oh I see. You know I played words with friend earlier and noticed my battery drop several percent in a couple minutes after I had left the game.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I was getting better battery life once I removed most of the Sense and Verizon stuff. Installed SetCPU last night and wiped the battery stats. Battery life should be even better now. Same here.. using the lowest setting for when the screen is off.

Quick update: my phone use to drain about 10% an hour.... I'm now at 4 hours with 80% battery still left... huge improvement:p

Last edited:

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Does using SetCPU and having it basically do a screen state underclock make the phone lag at all upon wakening?

In other words does it take the phone a second to get up to speed?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Does using SetCPU and having it basically do a screen state underclock make the phone lag at all upon wakening?

In other words does it take the phone a second to get up to speed?

Uhhh mine seems to snap back when I wake it up. What settings do you have enabled within setCPU?

chrisp9446

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have set CPU and I'm using it lowest settings possible when screen is off. But I also had words with friends refreshing every 5 minutes when its not needed. It needs push notifications like wordfeud. But thats a whole different beast

Good call on the words with friends. I didn't realize it had been refreshing every five minutes. I definitely don't play frequently enough that I need that constant of a reminder :).

R0ss

Mar 17, 2011
www.cannonmotorsports.com
I have had great results with battery life today after rooting. All be it only 1 day since I rooted my TB but if anything I've been using it more today. I'm completely new to the Android scene and know little about rooting but the bloat removal process made a HUGE improvement in my battery life.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how much of those 4 hours did you spend actually using the phone?

Moderate use... I was draining about 10-15% every hour.. I would get about 10-11 hours. Today I'm on moderate usage... Just checking emails, few phone calls and answering questions in the forums... If you can't tell, I'm in here a lot. So far I'm at 7 hours 43 minutes with 65% left. I removed a lot of the HTC Sense crap...(I'm not that into Sense, I use my own widgets and launcher) along with removing all the Verizon bloat and crap. Lowest cpu settings for when the screen is off.
If I was unrooted my phone would normally be at 25-35% right now... After root.. I'm at 65%. I'm getting about almost twice the battery life with the phone underclocked when the screen is off.