[Guide] How to remove Bloatware from the Thunderbolt

Carbon Stig

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
For step 14 on Super Manager guide, am I suppose to put select r/w? I'm not sure if I'm rooted or not...I followed Cory's ADB guide, but I'm second guessing myself because I tried using Titanium back up and it said I wasn't rooted (something about not having BusyBox).

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
For step 14 on Super Manager guide, am I suppose to put select r/w? I'm not sure if I'm rooted or not...I followed Cory's ADB guide, but I'm second guessing myself because I tried using Titanium back up and it said I wasn't rooted (something about not having BusyBox).

Do you have the Super User icon in your app drawer? If not download Super User by Chainsaw and if Titanium recommends you to download busy box... download it. You will also need Rom Manager so you can do a nandroid backup. Another good app to get is Wireless Tether for when the free mobile hotspot trial ends by Verizon.

Runnerzdad

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Super manager lite "the ROOT function in this program is not support your device or system image" and it won't let me continue. Did I get the wrong version of super manager?

Tia

edit: I did not actually ROOT the phone first using my PC so I think I won't be able to use Super Manager

RD

Last edited:

cassie16

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No tech savvy whatsoever

I am really, really annoyed with the bloatware on my Thunderbolt but I am not savvy about anything that underlies the functioning of my phone. If I carefully follow the step-by-step rundown that you have given (understanding that you cannot guarantee that I won't eff-up in the process) am I, at least, fairly certain that I won't destroy my phone?

I feel almost unreasonably irritated by all that htc has decided to impose upon my phone experience!

sco0by1

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, not sure if I'm in the right spot or not. I've always had an IPhone, could jailbreak the snot out of it. Customize my home screen, sms screen, all through Cydia. The Thunderbolt is the first Android phone I've ever bought and I'm so green it's not funny.

I have been able to root my phone, that's not an issue, I just don't understand the "rom" thing. How do i customize my phone like I used to with the iphone? Sorry guys, don't meam to sound like a complete newb.

Steve.Tate

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, not sure if I'm in the right spot or not. I've always had an IPhone, could jailbreak the snot out of it. Customize my home screen, sms screen, all through Cydia. The Thunderbolt is the first Android phone I've ever bought and I'm so green it's not funny.

I have been able to root my phone, that's not an issue, I just don't understand the "rom" thing. How do i customize my phone like I used to with the iphone? Sorry guys, don't meam to sound like a complete newb.

I was in the exact same boat as you. By reading A LOT on here and over at XDA, it has taught me lots! The ROM on the Android is basically like the iOS on the iPhone. It's basically the OS of the phone. Rooting and using apps like Rom Manager allows you to put custom ROMs or OS's on your phone. Some have apps included that aren't stock. Some don't have apps that come stock. Some have overclocked cpu's and other things...

Right now, I'm running the Bamf ROM 1.4 themed and loving it! Keep reading is all I can say to learn about it all!

RPinSC

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Help

Well, I did something wrong!!! It would not allow be to mount my sdcard, "The sdcard is not currently mounted". Properties are rwxrwxrwx. Now what?
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:

ForNein

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I moved the Kindle app, but it left "com.amazon.kindle" in the applications menu and when I run it, it just tells me it has to force close. Any way to remove this?

Last edited:

cpich

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Android Beginner here, I purchased "Root Explorer", downloaded and it installed, I somehow missed the Superuser request screen? The only difference I notice is I am connected to wireless rather than 4G? My "Screen 3" looks like the "guide-how-remove-bloatware-thunderbolt" (http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...6-guide-how-remove-bloatware-thunderbolt.html) screen except I don't have the [Mount R/W] icon.

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

i had the same problem, does anyone know what the fix to this problem is?

Steve.Tate

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My Root Explorer does NOT show that button when looking at my SD card directory. The USB setting should be in Charge only in order for Root Explorer to manipulate these files on the SD card. When I switch my folder selection to say "System", that's when I get the RO/RW button on the top of the screen.

Also, open your SuperUser app and see if Root Explorer is listed in the list of apps that have SU rights...

cham87

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Removal of Kindle / Visual Voice Mail?

I removed the kindle app and the visual voice mail using root explorer. I removed other apps that were listed on the safe list. Why are the kindle and vvm icons still listed in my app drawer?

Thanks

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, Cory! Why did you choose SuperManager? How many others did you try? What doesn't it do that your paid explorer does? Just curious as I'm trying to decide which one to get? Don't mind paying for it if it is better and does more and does it well?

Thanks!
Only diff in Supermanager app is SQLite capability (its not) root exp is cabaple.. no biggie in my book.. I have always used SuperManager App and freakin love it :)

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If your just a little too nervous about all this...

For all of you to scared or not savvy enough to root to get rid of bloat.... Do your self a HUGE favor... DL LauncherProPlus or titanium and just Hide the Bloatware. Outta site, outta mind ;) I am waiting for the OTA of GB for the TB and then; Root City, here I come!!! and hopefully by then there will be some better ROMS also...

Good Luck to all, For real... :)

Last edited:

notmebug

Banned
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I removed the kindle app and the visual voice mail using root explorer. I removed other apps that were listed on the safe list. Why are the kindle and vvm icons still listed in my app drawer?

Thanks

Also can't get rid of the Voice Mail VVM icon, tried to re-install VVM from my bloatware folder and when I launch it I end up in my MMS inbox so I can't completely remove it nor can I re-install it... :confused:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Also can't get rid of the Voice Mail VVM icon, tried to re-install VVM from my bloatware folder and when I launch it I end up in my MMS inbox so I can't completely remove it nor can I re-install it... :confused:
Try rebooting your phone and your app drawer should refresh itself and remove the icons. As for VVM... I'm not to familiar with using root explorer for removing apps... I use Titanium Backup... But some apps are stubborn. If root explorer doesn't get it.. titanium will.

notmebug

Banned
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Turns out if you remove the stock MMS.apk then the VVM icon will disappear from your app drawer. I experimented by using Titanium to freeze and unfreeze the MMS app and it indeed controls whether or not the VVM icon shows up in your app drawer, on to handcent!

Now... how do you remove Latitude?

Edit: After removing the stock messaging app I can no longer send or receive pictures. After copying the app back to system/app my picture messaging works again.

Last edited: