[Guide] How to remove Bloatware from the Thunderbolt

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
A lot of people root their phone's because they want to remove that pesky bloatware. After they've rooted (Either with their Mac or with their PC), they often ask, "Now how do I move the bloatware?" This procedure answers that question in detail. I use a file explorer called "Root Explorer" in this post because it's the most popular app when it comes to folder mounting and file manipulation. It's a paid app and will cost you a double tall latte.

Post #2 will walk you through the process of using Super Manager another file explorer that will also accomplish the job.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 & 2: Download, install, and open Root Explorer:

Steps1thru3.png

Steps 3 - 5: Use Root Explorer to get to the bloatware:

Steps3thru5.png

Steps 6 - 8: Select the bloatware you want to move and click move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps6thru8.png

Steps 9 - 11: Navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Steps9thru11.png

Steps 12 - 14: Create a new folder on your SD card -- to park those files -- and then paste/move them in there:

Steps12thru14.png

The Bloatware has been moved. Depending on which apps you moved over - you might get a few force closes:

steps15thru17.png

FinalResult.png

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
[Guide] How to remove Bloatware from the Thunderbolt using Super Manager

As promised, here is the procedure for using a free file management alternative like Super Manager. It's hard to argue with free, but I still love Root Explorer.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 thru 3: Download, install, run, and setup Super Manager:

Steps1thru3.png

Steps 4 - 6: Enable and allow root:

Steps4thru6.png

Steps 7 - 9: By default, Super Manager opens the SD Card directory. You need to go up a few levels to the "Root" folder:

Steps7thru9.png

Steps 10 - 12: Now you're going to navigate to the /system/app folder and choose which apps to move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps10thru12-1.png

Steps 13 - 15: Once you've finished selecting apps, you're going to navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Steps13thru15-1.png

Create a new folder on your SD card to move the files to:

Steps16thru18-2.png

Next you're going to paste/move the files:

Steps19thru21.png

congrats.png

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was literally JUST gonna ask this...

Is it required to pay $4 for Root Explorer, or is there an alternative?

edit: Thank you so much for providing the free-app-version of the guide! Saved me my $4 :p

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Root Explorer is all I've ever known. There might be other file managers that are root capable, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

az30

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I used super manager from the market and it does the same thing as root explorer except its free!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Gunthrem is spot on. Anything Verizon adds after HTC is done with it is called bloatware. Why? Because if you don't want it, you can't uninstall it. It's not that it isn't a good program, it's the fact that it's uninstallable. Same can be said about bitbop too. Some will like it, others won't. Let us have the option to uninstall it.

Re: the keyboard. I have made a career out of switching keyboards. This one is the only one I don't chronically make mistakes with.

Re: my choice of Root Explorer. I picked it due to its popularity and my extensive history with it. Any file manager that will allow you to "mount" a folder as Read/Write as I did in step 5, should work.

Heck you could even use ADB to do this whole thing, but that would be taking things a little too far :p

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I see some file explorer alternatives being brought up. I'll start including a list of alternatives at the top, but I can't support any questions other than those coming from people using root explorer :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech