Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default [Guide] How to remove Bloatware from the Thunderbolt

A lot of people root their phone's because they want to remove that pesky bloatware. After they've rooted (Either with their Mac or with their PC), they often ask, "Now how do I move the bloatware?" This procedure answers that question in detail. I use a file explorer called "Root Explorer" in this post because it's the most popular app when it comes to folder mounting and file manipulation. It's a paid app and will cost you a double tall latte.

Post #2 will walk you through the process of using Super Manager another file explorer that will also accomplish the job.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 & 2: Download, install, and open Root Explorer:

Steps 3 - 5: Use Root Explorer to get to the bloatware:

Steps 6 - 8: Select the bloatware you want to move and click move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps 9 - 11: Navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Steps 12 - 14: Create a new folder on your SD card -- to park those files -- and then paste/move them in there:

The Bloatware has been moved. Depending on which apps you moved over - you might get a few force closes:

Thanked by 19:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default [Guide] How to remove Bloatware from the Thunderbolt using Super Manager

As promised, here is the procedure for using a free file management alternative like Super Manager. It's hard to argue with free, but I still love Root Explorer.

Also, before you go all crazy moving stuff, make sure you read the Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted thread. Please.

Steps 1 thru 3: Download, install, run, and setup Super Manager:

Steps 4 - 6: Enable and allow root:

Steps 7 - 9: By default, Super Manager opens the SD Card directory. You need to go up a few levels to the "Root" folder:

Steps 10 - 12: Now you're going to navigate to the /system/app folder and choose which apps to move (don't forget to read this first!):

Steps 13 - 15: Once you've finished selecting apps, you're going to navigate to the sdcard -- where the bloatware will be moved to:

Create a new folder on your SD card to move the files to:

Next you're going to paste/move the files:

Thanked by 9:
    raulhmacias likes this.

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

I was literally JUST gonna ask this...

Is it required to pay $4 for Root Explorer, or is there an alternative?

edit: Thank you so much for providing the free-app-version of the guide! Saved me my $4 :P
    Last edited by TBolt2011; 03-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Root Explorer is all I've ever known. There might be other file managers that are root capable, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Root Explorer is all I've ever known. There might be other file managers that are root capable, but I'm not familiar with any of them.
    Well that's good enough for me. I'll probably end up with that one. Just too cheap to spend $4 blindly. :P
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga

do we move just the .apk files or the .odex ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smartass12 View Post
    do we move just the .apk files or the .odex ones as well.
    Both of them.
    Motorola Droid Maxx, LG Nexus 4, Asus Nexus 7 [2013]
    Thanked by:
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Another awesome tutorial Cory..

Bummer. I was hoping this was a miraculous root-free method for removing the bloatware.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ramen Noodle View Post
    Bummer. I was hoping this was a miraculous root-free method for removing the bloatware.
    Yep, root or these steps doesn't apply to you.

What's so great about that keyboard? Just curious, I happen to prefer the gb keyboard myself, but I'm open to others...

Quote Originally Posted by KCKDad View Post
    What's so great about that keyboard? Just curious, I happen to prefer the gb keyboard myself, but I'm open to others...
    That look like the IPhone keyboard - the GB keyboard is far better than that.(IMO)

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I used super manager from the market and it does the same thing as root explorer except its free!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I like ES File Explorer and it's free.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

once we figure out how to remove the bolatware without rooting all will be well in the world.

I'm curious why Slacker Radio is considered "bloatware".

ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

I think Bloatware is a term used to describe software that Verizon puts on these phones that you can't uninstall.
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Gunthrem is spot on. Anything Verizon adds after HTC is done with it is called bloatware. Why? Because if you don't want it, you can't uninstall it. It's not that it isn't a good program, it's the fact that it's uninstallable. Same can be said about bitbop too. Some will like it, others won't. Let us have the option to uninstall it.

Re: the keyboard. I have made a career out of switching keyboards. This one is the only one I don't chronically make mistakes with.

Re: my choice of Root Explorer. I picked it due to its popularity and my extensive history with it. Any file manager that will allow you to "mount" a folder as Read/Write as I did in step 5, should work.

Heck you could even use ADB to do this whole thing, but that would be taking things a little too far

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying (and for the tip
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I see some file explorer alternatives being brought up. I'll start including a list of alternatives at the top, but I can't support any questions other than those coming from people using root explorer

(New to Droid, new to rooting)

Now that you have a rooted Thunderbolt - what changes / improvements can one except to see?

What happens when Gingerbread is released for Thunderbolt? Do you "un-root", upgrade to Gingerbread, then root again?

Are you going to provide a tutorial for that too?

ROM
    Ultimatum S3 1.2

Why does it have to be an explorer? I've used System App Remover and Titanium Backup to get rid of Thunderbloat since I rooted. I've always liked using Titanium Backup because it lets you detach apps you've downloaded from the market so when you flash a new ROM the market doesn't try to download it again.

Corey for president!!!!!
    When I think of something good to write here, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill86 View Post
    once we figure out how to remove the bolatware without rooting all will be well in the world.
    Agreed
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasonraustin View Post
    I like ES File Explorer and it's free.
    The option to amount read/write is greyed out. Are you really using the free version?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast