Now that I'm rooted can I use Mobile Hotspot and not be charged?

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
can I use The Mobile Hotspot app that came with the phone or should I download something else??? What about tethered modem? Can I use that as well. Is there an app I should download from the market for that so I don't get charged by VZ?

3coup3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What are the odds that they push some kind of update on that very same day to cause us Root-ers inconvenience and general butthurt?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
verizon should have included the hot spot with the unlimited plan, even if it raised the price a little

Also I didnt think verizon capped the data plan, I know everyone says there is a 5GB cap but has anyone found it in writing anywhere?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
verizon should have included the hot spot with the unlimited plan, even if it raised the price a little

Also I didnt think verizon capped the data plan, I know everyone says there is a 5GB cap but has anyone found it in writing anywhere?

You get a Tex massage from Verizon when you do

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I use it occasionally, but it is shady. Just paid my bill, Verizon stold several hundred minutes back I paid for ha ha. If I sip a GB in a month and pay unlimited data and only use 3 GB in a month, my conscious is clean. I don't mind paying...but I better get to keep my minutes then!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I purchased my TB the data plan stated unlimited, but that was for the phone's data. I don't find tether to be all that great, slow speeds, and problems connecting.

Some say its fair, some say its stealing. I say read the terms of service an decide for yourself, and if they do catch you the terms of service explain what they can and cannot do.

Its a personal choice and not a yes or no question.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well its still free until the 15 ,, after that u download wireless tether for root from the market

This tool require a netfilter-enabled kernel. Judging from the discussions in here and here, it seems that EACH device requires specific netfilter thingy.

Anybody every got "Wireless Tether for Root" application (from Marketplace) to work on their Thunderbolt?

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
But EasyTether doesn't allow WIFI hotspot.

Does anyone know if Wireless Tether for Root works with stock ROM? The Google project webpage doesn't specify this.

No, but that just sucks your battery unless you're connecting multiple computers.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
When I purchased my TB the data plan stated unlimited, but that was for the phone's data. I don't find tether to be all that great, slow speeds, and problems connecting.

Some say its fair, some say its stealing. I say read the terms of service an decide for yourself, and if they do catch you the terms of service explain what they can and cannot do.

Its a personal choice and not a yes or no question.

That is just it. The Android community is looking down a little on tether users that don't pay because it is bringing attention to all us root users. I say let's walk high and drop the data theft for now. At least that is the choice I make going forward. If we get locked out hard, I don't want to feel like a cause. Imagine we as a community walk upright and pay our way? There would sure be less concern to lock us down.

bnsteele5

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I use wireless teather for root on a stock rom and it works just fine... Nice for when the power goes out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This was posted on twitter from the great panda..So heads up

@smcdo123: @black_man_x care to comment on vzw checking if you are tethering illegally?

@black_man_x: @smcdo123 already did.... yes we can see it and yes you will be caught.. has it started? not yet.. let ATT be the first.. we will follow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995