Thinking about Rooting

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay so i been really thinking about rooting my phone. And since Cory Streater Posted a great Guide-Here http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...ocedure-how-root-thunderbolt-adb-windows.html it kind of tipped the scale for me. So my question is What will happen if i did the root and Gingerbread came out will i have to un root to get it? or should i wait to root until after Gingerbread comes out?
Oh and im using the Thunderbolt and if i do root what rom should i use ?

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I was really on the verge of rooting also and this is what has had me hold off or at least wait until the true one touch root comes out.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you both right now, the current "OneClickRoot" is more trouble than it's worth. If you're questioning it, don't use that method. The instructions are pretty incomplete if you're inexperienced. Use Cory's guide for ADB, or wait for a true One Click.

But from what I've been told, if there is a major update, it will just overwrite the files that led to you being rooted. Meaning if file xyz is there during root, it may need to be overwritted with xya, therefore updating your software, and removing root access. After that you will just have to re-root, and you'll have whatever update was applied from the carrier/manufacturer as well.

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you both right now, the current "OneClickRoot" is more trouble than it's worth. If you're questioning it, don't use that method. The instructions are pretty incomplete if you're inexperienced. Use Cory's guide for ADB, or wait for a true One Click.

But from what I've been told, if there is a major update, it will just overwrite the files that led to you being rooted. Meaning if file xyz is there during root, it may need to be overwritted with xya, therefore updating your software, and removing root access. After that you will just have to re-root, and you'll have whatever update was applied from the carrier/manufacturer as well.

Yea The link provides cory's Guide i think i will give it a shot i'm confident in my knowledge that i can do it. Will do it tomorrow morning & plus just want to root to Remove bloatware Maybe a few tweaks here and there but we will see.

Last edited:

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea The link provides cory's Guide i think i will give it a shot i'm confident in my knowledge that i can do it. Will do it tomorrow morning & plus just want to root to Remove bloatware Maybe a few tweaks here and there but we will see.

Just be patient. If there is something you think is a problem, ask. Otherwise it's all copy-pasta. Let us know how it goes. :)

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just be patient. If there is something you think is a problem, ask. Otherwise it's all copy-pasta. Let us know how it goes. :)

Alright here it goes gonna start the process. Once i root the phone can i keep it as is? don't want to change anything major just bloatware. so i will be able to get gingerbread later on

anon(237872)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright here it goes gonna start the process. Once i root the phone can i keep it as is? don't want to change anything major just bloatware. so i will be able to get gingerbread later on

I would also love to get rid of the bloatware but not worry about ruining or breaking my new $750 phone (no, I didn't pay that much xP) But I have a tendency to break or ruin things, so I'm leaning more towards not rooting, but I hate having this nonsense on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance