1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default rooting guide?

Ok. So I was looking through the step by step guide on rooting with adb and it seems fairly straight forward. One question though, I see all this talk from people about this ROM and that ROM and overclocking. At what point do you install these specific roms and overclock?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

after you root its done by phone
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

Quote Originally Posted by jigz23 View Post
    Ok. So I was looking through the step by step guide on rooting with adb and it seems fairly straight forward. One question though, I see all this talk from people about this ROM and that ROM and overclocking. At what point do you install these specific roms and overclock?
    Take it one step at a time. Rooting starts to seem overwhelming if you get ahead of yourself with ROMs and stuff like that.

After you root, which is step one, get the main apps (ROM Manager, su, Titanium Backup) you'll need and set them up. That's step two. From there, ROM Manager will be a good place to start. I believe that there are only kernels there for the Bolt at this point, but that will be a good thing to see before you take a dive into ROMs.

As for ROMs, there are a ton of good guides on how to do it and where to get the files from; you just need to find what suits you, and be willing to read a little bit.
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga
    Thanked by:
    jigz23 

hey jigz, take it from me, one n00b to another, I had no idea about any of this rooting and rom stuff. I read cory's procedure on rooting with adb, read it through about four times, then followed it very carefully step by step and it was a breeze to get root. The only bad part was the painfully slow downloads.

I suggest go ahead and start downloading the PG05IMG_downgrade.zip, the PG05IMG.zip, the setup_3.0.5511.exe, and the TB30 Root Files & Quick ADB.zip. While they download, go run some errands, wash a couple loads of laundry, make a sandwich, and read a good book.

By then you'll be ready to sit down and follow cory's procedure and root your phone.

After you've played around with your newly rooted thunderbolt for a day or two, read brett's guide to flashing a custom rom using rom manager.

download these apps from the market: Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, and Root Explorer. Download a rom that you want to try out. The Rom Manager will practically walk you through the steps to flash a custom rom. Follow brett's guide step by step.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...b-windows.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...stom-roms.html
    Last edited by magisternautaque; 04-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all. I'll definitely give this a try and let you all know how it goes.

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

Quote Originally Posted by jigz23 View Post
    Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all. I'll definitely give this a try and let you all know how it goes.
    Good luck! If you have any questions, just speak up.
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

During the updating process, how many times should the phone restart?

ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

Just one, if installing a rom.
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So I have finally successfully rooted my phone and removed the bloatware that I wanted. I want to be able to overclock the phone to about the 1.5 ghz. Apparently I need to install a specific ROM and what not but I have to have nand unlocked? Not sure about this but can anyone help with this?