How to flash a rom?

jp93

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
So I've looked with no luck lol. How exactly do I get a custom ROM and kernel onto my phone? I would seriously appreciate some sort of guidance. I have ROM manager installed already but I honestly dont know what to do from here.

TIA

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So I've looked with no luck lol. How exactly do I get a custom ROM and kernel onto my phone? I would seriously appreciate some sort of guidance. I have ROM manager installed already but I honestly dont know what to do from here.

TIA

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/73236-flashing-roms-kernels.html

There's some decent info in there.

Otherwise, for ROMs on the Thunderbolt at this point, you aren't going to get them from ROM Manager. Kernels are there though.

Find the ROM of your choice and download the file from wherever you find it (I want with Virus+sense and like it so far). After that, there's a mostly standard process on how to go about installing the ROM. Brett wrote up a great guide, but I have no idea where it is... I'll look for it quick and post it when I find it lol.

Edit: Here ya go. http://forum.androidcentral.com/gen...-effective-way-when-flashing-custom-roms.html

Last edited:
Reactions: launchpad

launchpad

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Superuser and there is an error, it sent a zip file to my SD card and to get to it I need to boot into recovery and unzip the file to make it work. Will Rom Manager help me with this?

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Superuser and there is an error, it sent a zip file to my SD card and to get to it I need to boot into recovery and unzip the file to make it work. Will Rom Manager help me with this?

That I do not have an answer for... I had the same thing happen once, but that was from trying the OneClick method, which I overwrote by following Cory's guide. The only suggestion I can be confident in giving you is to try rooting again from the start. :-\

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site

I'm going to try to answer this the best way I can. You can't "unzip" files in recovery, however, you can apply/flash (whichevet terminology you prefer). To get into recovery power off then simultaneously hold the power button and volume down until you get to the HBoot screen. Select Recovery using the power button. From there you can flash the zip you need.

All this said, I don't know why superuser is telling you to flash a zip. After going through the root process you should only have to downloaf three superuser apk from the market.

Last I checked, the install from SD card feature for Rom Manager wasn't working. But I haven't checked in weeks so he might've fixed it.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

launchpad

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
OK I tried to get into recovery mode, then all I got was an exclamation mark on the screen that would not go away, I ended up having to reboot the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol