A few questions about rooting (please add yours)

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, many of you know that I want to write a how-to guide for rooting this device. Unfortunately, to write a guide you have to really know what you're doing, and since this is my first Android device, I don't. But I'm getting there, though work has been crazy as of late so I haven't been able to sit down and look at what's progressed in the TB Root World in the past 7-10.

But I have a few questions that I'd like answered for my own knowledge, so I can at least compile an FAQ list to start:

1. The main issue when contemplating rooting is getting my device back to the state it's in now. I know that i can use ZDBox to move all of my app to my SD card. Does this includes everything installed, and will I be able to easily install these apps after rooting? Do you suggest another unrooted app for this task?
  2. Is there any way, unrooted, to back up the settings of all of my installed apps? For instance, Handcent configs and settings, Angry Birds progress?
  3. I've seen the mention of HTC Sync being installed after rooting. Why can't this be installed pre-root?
  4. What methods of root are currently available? Just Cory's procedure above? Or has the one-click root method been improved/perfected?
  5. Are there any custom ROMs to choose from other than the downgrade and upgrade in Cory's procedure?
  6. What should I have handy before I root (aside from what Cory mentioned, if using his method)? Maybe a list of apps I don't want to enable and how to do so?
  7. Can rooting be reverted back to stock in a manner that the carrier cannot detect it was ever rooted? If so, does this depend on the method of root I choose to use?
  8. Are there methods of root that don't wipe your data? I assume there are, but just not for the TB yet since no one has broken the release build, correct?
  9. A ROM is equivalent to a PC image you would restore, correct?
  10. All ROM flashes wipe your data, correct?

Guys, I'll say again that my how-to guide development has been slowed by my busy week and the slow progression of root options of the release build (though Cory's procedure seems very flawless and refined, so I suggest checking it out). Please add your questions to this thread, and I will compile a running list to prevent redundancy, and maybe we can provide a one-stop shop that can be used in Cory's FAQ sticky. I promise to keep this updated s feedback rolls in, as this will further my knowledge, which will also progress the development of the guide I am writing.

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
1. It basically does this. I also make a list of apps that I want so I can re-market anything I may have forgotten.
2. I guess Titanium Backup does this for you, however, ive never really used it. I dont really care if my app data gets wiped or if I need to redownload apps, especially with the power of LTE :)
3. You just need sync for the drivers, you can do it before, in fact, you need to do it before.
4. There is Cory's, a good one on XDA-dev's forums, a few random sites and youtube accounts, and there are some 1 clicks, but frankly, I have heard people having mega problems with them, so manual is good. Also, I think if you are going to root, really root it yourself at least once, just for the sake of learning what you are really doing.
5. There are now about a dozen...Bamf, Virus, Liquid...to name a few.
6. Have all the files you need for root handy...a nice drink while stuff gets done, it should take about 30-40 mins, longer if its your first time. Take your time.
7. Doesnt depend on method, and yes, you can flash it back to stock and "unroot" the phone.
8. no.
9. In a sense, yes. You are "flashing" an image.
10. yes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084