Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's your plan for your rooted Thunderbolt when the Gingerbread OTA comes out?

Those of you who have rooted your Thunderbolt, what is your plan for when they push out the Gingerbread OTA? (rumored for June)

I have seen various complicated descriptions of rooting/unrooting/updating/rerooting/etc. for some other phones, but have never done it and wonder how it will go for this phone.

Is there an easy overview explanation for this? I'm not looking for all the nitty gritty how-to just yet, just an overview/preview of how it will go in general. For example:

1. Root
    2. Install something that will let you unroot and later reroot.
    3. Enjoy your rooted phone for a while
    4. Unroot in advance of the Gingerbread OTA to return to stock
    5. Update
    6. Reroot

I've seen some things that sound like some of the above steps, but I'm otherwise just making things up.

If you root, make a bunch of customizations and tweaks, and then unroot, I'm assuming you lose all of those customizations unless there's something that will remember/save your settings for when you reroot.

Does any part of the above process(es) cause you to lose apps or data or anything? When they say unrooting will "return you to the factory state" they don't mean like wiping the phone right?

ROM
    InfectedROM 3.5

From what I have read, if you are using a rooted thunderbolt, if you update to gingerbread directly you will most likely loose your root. Obviously if you unroot your phone and then update, you wont be able to regain root access because gingerbread for the thunderbolt has not been hacked yet.

But I still have yet to get a 100% for sure on what I have said. I am hoping that even with an update I would still be able to keep the root, but I highly doubt that to be the case. It doesnt make sense that you would keep root access after installing a new update (since the new update would take new procedures to root).

let me know if you hear differently.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

See this thread regarding root and unroot-
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...b-windows.html

It's very easy if you take your time, even for a noob that doesn't know anything about command prompt.

The current method to root will completely wipe all your data. Your apps can contacts can be saved with a few programs but that's just about it. Unrooting will also completely wipe data and return you to stock. But Root users can use apps like titanium backup to backup their apps+data to restore when they reroot.

As far as the GB update-- I'd bet that root users will have GB plenty of time before it actually comes to the phone OTA. But root users may not want to update OTA since GB might make it harder to root and get s-off. A lot of root users are running custom roms so the OTA GB update doesn't really matter, especially if the OTA update will break root abilities.
    Thanked by:

My TBolt would only be "unrooted" for the purposes of a warranty exchange. There will be leaks and once in the hands of the developers, they will do more with GB than any stock update.
    Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 10.1

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Simple. Wait for a custom ROM based off the Gingerbread build. I'll bet anyone here 10 to 1 that the custom ROM comes out long before Verizon's "Official" build...
    "In valor, there is hope."

Don't worry about us, we will let you know how awesome GB is well before it is released OTA.
    If at first you don't succeed, read, read again.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

my plan is to keep root and not worry about ota's.

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    Simple. Wait for a custom ROM based off the Gingerbread build. I'll bet anyone here 10 to 1 that the custom ROM comes out long before Verizon's "Official" build...
    Ditto

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If the OTA is Sense 3.0 Gingerbread I will take risk and hold off on CM7. I have gone back and forth between Sense and ADW Launcher EX which in end I o back with Sense.I have rocked a vanilla version of android 1.6 for 2 years so I am not quite ready to go back to a vanilla version of android again. Mainly what I want from the CM7 is the improve battery life and performance.

The gingerbread ota could very well do the same, but probably less because of sense. I have seen a demo of sense 3.0 and I am intrigue what they will show next. HTC has been paying attention to what the Devs have been coming up with and applying them to their current projects as well looking towards the future. Sense 3.0 defiantly is step in right direction for all manufacturer UIs to follow.
    Last edited by bunique4life05; 04-13-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Re: What's your plan for your rooted Thunderbolt when the Gingerb

Running Sense 3.0 with GB RC4.9 by Team BAMF. Very impressed with the non-bloated phone and will definitely stay away from the stock GB if at all possible when available. I can set CPU settings to make the battery last longer and the Sense feel at the start of things is just plan neat! There has been a few minor glitches, but nothing to make me want to become un-rooted. Speed Dial #2 doesn't work and voicemail icon sticks sometimes. A simple re-boot will clear the voicemail notification icon at the top.

Overall very pleased! Would only un-root to make a warranty issue. Insurance is available and if necessary the phone was dropped in the lake :-) Replacement please...

I will ignore any official release. Why in the world would I un-root? There is no reason to do so. Maybe I just want less functionality? I will wait for rom devs to do their thing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by onthewhole; 08-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ice cream

Default Re: What's your plan for your rooted Thunderbolt when the Gingerb

I would just run a custom ROM based off the official build love my sense 3.0 on my bolt thanks Uber Bamf