Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #226  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderb

Quote Originally Posted by VannM View Post
    This site has been tons of help and I thank you guys for it.

I have a few questions about installing the roms. Please bare with me, Im new at all of this.

I rooted my phone using the Revolutionary method on this site. Its been working great until this last verison update where my phone tries to update. So last night I figured I would try to install BAMF in hopes that the updates wouldnt happen. The install went fine (using the great guide in this thread). Only problem is that my contacts and aps were missing. So now I have restored my old rom and seem to be back to square one. I have my aps and contacts back but my phone is still going to try to update.

Basically my questions are:
    1. How do I save my aps so they can be added to the BAMF?
    2. How do I save my contacts so they can be added to the BAMF?
    3. By using BAMF will the Verison updates stop?

The aps I have installed now are in the attachment.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

-Vann
    I think I was reading your problem in another thread... you had lost everything when you wiped and were stuck trying to get back to recovery to flash a backup.

Taking the pg05img off of the sd card should have fixed that problem for you.... when you're done using a pg05img zip file, move it or delete it from the root of the sd card or you will run into that problem everytime you need to get to recovery.

So now that you're on your backup and are ready to flash a new rom...

CONTACTS
    Your contacts were saved to the "phone" option. You should have everything saved to your Gmail account so that everything automatically syncs for you whether you're changing roms or changing phones.
    Here's a guide for that:
    Go to People > Menu > Import/Export and export the contacts from the phone to the SD card. Then connect the phone to the computer and downloaded the .vcf file to your computer. Then import the .vcf file into gmail.com and all of the contacts are saved there.
    Importing contacts into Gmail:

APPS
    For apps... you can use Titanium Backup if you like
    You would have to open the app and go to backup/restore... choose an app.. select backup apk+data... and repeat for each app.
    Flash the new rom.
    Go to the market... download Titanium again.
    Open the app and go to backup/restore... choose an app.. select restore apk+data... and repeat for each app.

Or you can open Titanium... menu... batch operations... backup all apps + data.
    Flash rom.
    Go to the market... download Titanium again.
    Open Titanium.. menu.. batch operations... restore missing apps + data.
    ++++NEVER BACKUP OR RESTORE SYSTEM DATA WHEN USING TITANIUM or MYBACKUP++++

What I Recommend doing
    I would skip using Titanium Backup (for now) and just use an app called "MyBackup For Root Users"... its a lot easier and user friendly to use. You can also use it to backup your contacts but I still recommend eventually transferring all of your contacts over to Gmail as mentioned above.

Stopping the OTAs
    For your last question.... YES, any custom rom will stop the OTA updates from being pushed to the phone.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 11-04-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Mordor likes this.

Thanks for the help. Im still doing something wrong and cant figure it out. I do believe that im getting closer tho.

I did the following steps last time.

Downloaded what I think is a ROM zip file.
    Saved it to the download file (still a zip)
    Backed everything up.
    Cleared everything.
    loaded the zip file.
    waited..........

Then when I tried to turn my phone on it was getting stuck on the thunderblot animation for a few seconds then the phone would restart. It did this a few times.

So then I took the battery out, restored my phone, and downloaded the premium version of rom manager.

So then I used rom manager to download a ROM (BAMF).
    Everything worked well and I was able to restore my settings and contacts and aps. I thought all was good but I still had problems getting my barnacle wireless teather to work,market apps wouldnt install and there were a few other buggy things happening.

Now I have restored back to stock rom again.

Maybe im expecting too much. Or maybe im downloading the wrong files. Im going to keep trying tho and hopefully I will get it to work correctly.

Thanks again,
    VM

Just rooted last night and am now running Thunderstick 3D from rom manager. I also want to run a new kernel to make it snappier and conserve battery as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help. Im still doing something wrong and cant figure it out. I do believe that im getting closer tho.

I did the following steps last time.

Downloaded what I think is a ROM zip file.
    Saved it to the download file (still a zip)
    Backed everything up.
    Cleared everything.
    loaded the zip file.
    waited..........

Then when I tried to turn my phone on it was getting stuck on the thunderblot animation for a few seconds then the phone would restart. It did this a few times.

So then I took the battery out, restored my phone, and downloaded the premium version of rom manager.

So then I used rom manager to download a ROM (BAMF).
    Everything worked well and I was able to restore my settings and contacts and aps. I thought all was good but I still had problems getting my barnacle wireless teather to work,market apps wouldnt install and there were a few other buggy things happening.

Now I have restored back to stock rom again.

Maybe im expecting too much. Or maybe im downloading the wrong files. Im going to keep trying tho and hopefully I will get it to work correctly.

Thanks again,
    VM

I figured it out. I must have been installing a patch file and not the whole thing. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks again for all the help!

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

I figured it out. I must have been installing a patch file and not the whole thing. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks again for all the help!
    If you were trying to install 1.0.9 that was a patch from what I read. Glad your up and running.

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by elindquist1 View Post
    Just rooted last night and am now running Thunderstick 3D from rom manager. I also want to run a new kernel to make it snappier and conserve battery as well. Any suggestions?
    Best thing to do for that is find a thread on xda or rootz that is specific to your ROM and read what people had good results with. Some roms aren't compatible with some kernels.

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Forgive me if this has already been covered and i know it is a newb question but it is my first root and rom.
    I have downloaded gingeritis 3D 1.07 as i try to flash it to my tb it keeps aborting. (file downloaded as Gingeritis3D-v1.07-signed.zip) (also tried to install as Gingeritis3D-v1.07.zip) downloaded the file to the root of sd card and followed instructions to install rom from [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt (aborts after step 12) what am i missing?

Tried downloading again and installing with ClockworkMod Recovery and received the same message. any ideas
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #233  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ak2j View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been covered and i know it is a newb question but it is my first root and rom.
    I have downloaded gingeritis 3D 1.07 as i try to flash it to my tb it keeps aborting. (file downloaded as Gingeritis3D-v1.07-signed.zip) (also tried to install as Gingeritis3D-v1.07.zip) downloaded the file to the root of sd card and followed instructions to install rom from [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt (aborts after step 12) what am i missing?

Tried downloading again and installing with ClockworkMod Recovery and received the same message. any ideas
    Could be a bad download of the zip file.

Few things to try:
    -Try downloading the file again and reflashing it.

Also...
    -If your using your computer to download the file... right click on the file and check the properties. You might have a hidden extension, especially if you're using Chrome Browser... example: whateverrom.zip.zip (make sure there aren't two zip extensions)
    -Easiest thing to do is to download files straight from your phones browser.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Was downloading straight to phone. Downloaded to computer, transferred to sdcard, then installed and worked. Thanks

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Imo lk

Just flashed das bamf 1.10 last night and everything went smoothly thanks to your guide. This was my first attempt at rooting/flashing a ROM. The TB is my first Android phone, before that i had a pre plus and later a pre 2, both of which i had "rooted" and Overclocked/Undervolted. Even though i had become quite comfortable "fiddling" with WebOS, i was pretty intimidated with the Android rooting process. But after using the Revolutionary option to root and using your guide for everything else, it turns out that it was just as easy, again, thanks to your guide.
    One question though.... I noticed that my old radios still worked. Do you still recommend flashing a new radio anyways? And if yes, what are the advantages? Sorry if this has already been answered but i searched the forums and couldn't really find a specific answer. Thanks in advance.
    TG
    Last edited by tayswg20; 12-20-2011 at 08:52 PM.

I had tried loading CM7 on my TB without a couple of the wiping steps in this guide and couldn't get it to work. Following this step by step ended with success.

Thanks for taking the time to put this guide together.

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by tayswg20 View Post
    One question though.... I noticed that my old radios still worked. Do you still recommend flashing a new radio anyways? And if yes, what are the advantages? Sorry if this has already been answered but i searched the forums and couldn't really find a specific answer. Thanks in advance.
    TG
    Newer raidos are not always better for everyone. Best way to find out is grab the latest one and give it a shot. If you data connectivity and radio signals improve it was worth it Worst case if your performance declines just flash the older one that gave you more reliable services. Personally I've had good results with the MR4 radios installed.

on my Tb, when I open ROM Manager, and tap the flash clockworkmod recovery, nothing happens. I have clockworkmod downloaded. i just dont get it, I'm following your forum. will ya plz point me in the right direction?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #239  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeymiz View Post
    on my Tb, when I open ROM Manager, and tap the flash clockworkmod recovery, nothing happens. I have clockworkmod downloaded. i just dont get it, I'm following your forum. will ya plz point me in the right direction?

In step #1... what does it say under "flash clockworkmod recovery"

Default Re: [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt

Thanks, Worked perfectly

Help!
    Random reboots - radio not connecting consistently!

GREAT forum by the way.
    I was able to follow the guides to rooting my Thunderbolt, installing ROM Manager and then upgrading to the:
    NunSense ROM
    Beta v10.8
    Android 4.0.4
    Sense 3.6
    (I also installed the recommended radio that appears on that page)

Unfortunately
    I'm having a couple of issues -
    First is random reboot - the phone just re-boots for no apparent reason - either while I'm using it or some other time; and
    Second is the data connection is unreliable - I just can't get connected to 3G or 4G networks consistently (while wifi seems to work well when available).

Note the random reboot is a new issue since getting the new ROM
    The problem with inconsistent data connection I've had for a while with this phone (with the stock - OTA upgraded ROM)

Thanks for any information you can share,
    Android monkey

ROM
    CM7

where moved to?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910