Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thanks for the reply. I understand that backing up after going to a new ROM is counterproductive, what I'm not fully understanding, and it could have been that I might have just not asked my question right, is will a nandroid back up put back all of my data or will I need to use something like Titanium Backup to do that afterwords?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    A nandroid backup is basically a copy of your entire phone and what makes it run (its operating system). It will restore the phone back to the way it was when you made the backup in case something goes wrong. You don't want to do a nandroid restore after flashing a new rom as it defeats the purpose of flashing a new rom. If you did... you would be right back where you started with your old rom. What you're looking for is an app like Titanium Backup or MyBackup to backup your apps data and saved info ...phone calls, texts, etc. You can rename your backups from your SD Card... where they are stored. It would be under... SD Card>Clockworkmod>Backup. Either with your phone connected to a computer or straight from your phone... access your SD Card. From the phone use a file manager like Astro or you can also do it from ROM Manager under backup and restore... find the file you want to rename... Menu.. Edit...Rename.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that backing up after going to a new ROM is counterproductive, what I'm not fully understanding, and it could have been that I might have just not asked my question right, is will a nandroid back up put back all of my data or will I need to use something like Titanium Backup to do that afterwords?

Thanks for the help!
    Yea sorry about that, after I posted my answer I figured you might have meant that.
    Yes a nandroid backs up all data. For managing app data I would use Titanium or MyBackup since you can backup any new changes you make overtime.... where as a nandroid is just a set backup of what you have at that moment. Backing up your ROM is like a restore point on a computer, you reload that and your phone is back to the way it was at that point. Titanium allows you to back up your apps and reinstall all backups/app data/ or just some. Whatever your preference.

Perfect! My understanding just went up one point... and for me, every point counts!Thanks again for your helpful reply!

Yea sorry about that, after I posted my answer I figured you might have meant that.
    Yes a nandroid backs up all data. For managing app data I would use Titanium or MyBackup since you can backup any new changes you make overtime.... where as a nandroid is just a set backup of what you have at that moment. Backing up your ROM is like a restore point on a computer, you reload that and your phone is back to the way it was at that point. Titanium allows you to back up your apps and reinstall all backups/app data/ or just some. Whatever your preference.

First off, thank you for putting up this post on how to install roms.

Total noob here. Just rooted my phone a couple of days ago and thanks to this post I was able to install my first rom. I see that there is an update to the rom (1.6 ---> 1.6.2). How do I go about installing the new update?

Also, I backed up my apps using Titanium backup. If I want to restore my apps, if I select all, will it install all apps INCLUDING the bloatware that was backed up?

ROM
    Das BAMF Remix v1.6.3

Quote Originally Posted by nate44 View Post
    Titanium should mainly be used to backup your apps and their data. A nandroid backup in recovery should be made to backup your current system data if anything goes wrong and you want to revert back.

I would install all the apps you want and then back them up in Titanium. (Don't backup system data.) Then make your nandroid backup of your current state in recovery.

Flash BAMF, and then restore your apps with Titanium
    Just rooted and ran Ti Backup. Can you explain why one shouldn't use this app to backup system data?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by immrmom View Post
    First off, thank you for putting up this post on how to install roms.

Total noob here. Just rooted my phone a couple of days ago and thanks to this post I was able to install my first rom. I see that there is an update to the rom (1.6 ---> 1.6.2). How do I go about installing the new update?

Also, I backed up my apps using Titanium backup. If I want to restore my apps, if I select all, will it install all apps INCLUDING the bloatware that was backed up?
    Flash right over it the same way you did with 1.6. You should be able to just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache... Don't worry about wiping the data. Make a backup of 1.6 rom before you do anything. As for titanium.. yes you will need to re-freeze the bloat again. If you deleted them, then no, they will not come back.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by major_works View Post
    Just rooted and ran Ti Backup. Can you explain why one shouldn't use this app to backup system data?
    You can back it up but you may run into problems if restoring. Sometimes you will have duplicate files of the new rom and the backup. The only problem I ever ran into was a never ending sync because of duplicate files. I've been using MyBackup Pro for phone settings and Titanium for apps and app data. I also use it for repairing market links and to freeze bloat. I like using a combo of the two apps together.
    Thanked by:

Flash right over it the same way you did with 1.6. You should be able to just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache... Don't worry about wiping the data. Make a backup of 1.6 rom before you do anything. As for titanium.. yes you will need to re-freeze the bloat again. If you deleted them, then no, they will not come back.
    Thank you for the quick response. I've tried asking questions on other forums and some people just reply by saying read forums. Really appreciate the help.

This may be a dumb question... After flashing clockwork mod, I didn't reboot my phone before making a backup. Will that cause any issues?

Hey, thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble booting into recovery though. I did the Flash Clockwork thing and all, but while rebooting my screen is just stuck on the white HTC screen. Any clue what's going on? Thanks.

I can't boot up after installing a new ROM. It freezes on the HTC screen, and after about 10 seconds of being on the HTC screen, it vibrates, then reboots. It repeats this process until I pull the battery, then I have to boot into recovery and restore a back-up.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stickperson View Post
    Hey, thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble booting into recovery though. I did the Flash Clockwork thing and all, but while rebooting my screen is just stuck on the white HTC screen. Any clue what's going on? Thanks.
    It could take up to 5-6 minutes the first time the phone boots up with the new rom. Let it sit for a while on the HTC screen.

If it still doesn't load:
    You may have a bad download of the rom. Re-download the zip after deleting the old one, to re-flash. Perform all three wipes (data, dalvik and cache), but first make certain your battery is highly charged (over 50%).

EDIT: is your phone stuck when trying to boot into Clockwork or after installing a new rom?

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Quick question...first time installing a custom ROM (BAMF remix). I have the free version of ROM manager and when I searched it for ROMS, it didn't have the latest BAMF remix...so I downloaded the latest remix via my computer and then saved it over to my TB via USB.

It was downloaded and saved as "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip.crdownload"
    I am assuming I have to rename this to "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip" (i.e. remove the ".crdownload") and then flash it. Is this correct? Thanks.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricom View Post
    Quick question...first time installing a custom ROM (BAMF remix). I have the free version of ROM manager and when I searched it for ROMS, it didn't have the latest BAMF remix...so I downloaded the latest remix via my computer and then saved it over to my TB via USB.

It was downloaded and saved as "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip.crdownload"
    I am assuming I have to rename this to "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip" (i.e. remove the ".crdownload") and then flash it. Is this correct? Thanks.
    Its an extension that Google Chrome adds to saved files. I never use Google Chrome so I'm not sure if it affects the file or not. I was reading some poeple were having problems deleting files off of their computer when that extension gets added on... so I'm not sure. You can try it or if you want this is the download link from XDA for Bamf v1.6.3 ... You can download it straight from your phone.
    http://tinyurl.com/3nepzep

It could take up to 5-6 minutes the first time the phone boots up with the new rom. Let it sit for a while on the HTC screen.

If it still doesn't load:
    You may have a bad download of the rom. Re-download the zip after deleting the old one, to re-flash. Perform all three wipes (data, dalvik and cache), but first make certain your battery is highly charged (over 50%).

EDIT: is your phone stuck when trying to boot into Clockwork or after installing a new rom?
    Thanks for the reply.

It's stuck when I try to reboot into recovery. I haven't done anything with ROMs yet. So far the only thing I've done is flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and then tried to reboot into recovery, which is where it hangs. I let it go for at least 15 minutes and nothing...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply.

It's stuck when I try to reboot into recovery. I haven't done anything with ROMs yet. So far the only thing I've done is flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and then tried to reboot into recovery, which is where it hangs. I let it go for at least 15 minutes and nothing...
    I would try re-installing ROM Manager ... rebooting the phone and try again.

You installed Clockwork recovery in the very first few steps correct? You can also try repeating those steps again. It sounds like either clockwork was never installed or something went wrong during the installation. You can check if you have it by manually booting into recovery. Power off the phone... When the phone is off... Hold down the volume down button and the power on button at the same time until the phone boots up. It should boot you into hboot/bootloader... Select recovery and that should take you into clockworkmod the same way rom manager does. If it doesn't... You don't have clockworkmod installed correctly. Then try re-installing rom manager again.

I would try re-installing ROM Manager ... rebooting the phone and try again.

You installed Clockwork recovery in the very first few steps correct? You can also try repeating those steps again. It sounds like either clockwork was never installed or something went wrong during the installation. You can check if you have it by manually booting into recovery. Power off the phone... When the phone is off... Hold down the volume down button and the power on button at the same time until the phone boots up. It should boot you into hboot/bootloader... Select recovery and that should take you into clockworkmod the same way rom manager does. If it doesn't... You don't have clockworkmod installed correctly. Then try re-installing rom manager again.
    This is what I did from the beginning: Downloaded ROM manager, selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery," rebooted, opened ROM manager, clicked "Reboot into recovery." Then it gets stuck on the white HTC screen. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but to no avail.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll try manually booting into recovery in a bit. Thanks.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

This is what I did from the beginning: Downloaded ROM manager, selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery," rebooted, opened ROM manager, clicked "Reboot into recovery." Then it gets stuck on the white HTC screen. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but to no avail.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll try manually booting into recovery in a bit. Thanks.
    No you didn't miss anything. Go into rom manager and scroll down to All ClockworkMod Recoveries. Try flashing a different version and see if that works. Also check the market and see if there are any updates available for Rom manager.

No you didn't miss anything. Go into rom manager and scroll down to All ClockworkMod Recoveries. Try flashing a different version and see if that works. Also check the market and see if there are any updates available for Rom manager.
    Flashed it to 3.0.2.4, but getting messae "Unable to stat /sdcard" after hitting backup.

edit: rebooted, it's working now
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Flashed it to 3.0.2.4, but getting messae "Unable to stat /sdcard" after hitting backup.

edit: rebooted, it's working now
    Okay good... Glad you got it working. You can always try going back up to 3.0.2.5 if you want... It should work now. If not just stay with the version you're on.

Okay good... Glad you got it working. You can always try going back up to 3.0.2.5 if you want... It should work now. If not just stay with the version you're on.
    Cool, thanks for the help

I've loaded both Bamf 1.6 remix, and NTE. Both het stuck in a boot loop at the HTC screen. Any idea how to fix this?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CLoft239 View Post
    I've loaded both Bamf 1.6 remix, and NTE. Both het stuck in a boot loop at the HTC screen. Any idea how to fix this?
    Did you make a backup of your stock rom? Manually boot into recovery... Power off the phone. Power back on while holding down the volume button at the same time. Scroll down to recovery... Go to install from sd card... Clockworkmod... Backups... And install your backup.

Try flashing the new rom again... Make sure you wipe data, cache partition and dalvik cache. Follow the guide and you should have no problems. Make sure you leave the downloaded roms zip file zipped. Let the phone install the new rom. It may pause for a while on the htc screen for about 5 minutes... Don't do anything... Let the new rom load up.

Did you make a backup of your stock rom? Manually boot into recovery... Power off the phone. Power back on while holding down the volume button at the same time. Scroll down to recovery... Go to install from sd card... Clockworkmod... Backups... And install your backup.

Try flashing the new rom again... Make sure you wipe data, cache partition and dalvik cache. Follow the guide and you should have no problems. Make sure you leave the downloaded roms zip file zipped. Let the phone install the new rom. It may pause for a while on the htc screen for about 5 minutes... Don't do anything... Let the new rom load up.
    Yah I backed up the ROM soon as I rooted. I've followed your guide step by step to a tee. I actually got NTE to boot once last night, but my device rebooted on its own about 5 minutes later and it boot looped again. I've flashed different versions of clockwork, downloaded from different sources, done factory resets, everything I can think of. I don't know if I'm messing up, have dumb luck, the planets are out of alignment, or what lol. It's frustrating to say at the least.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CLoft239 View Post
    Yah I backed up the ROM soon as I rooted. I've followed your guide step by step to a tee. I actually got NTE to boot once last night, but my device rebooted on its own about 5 minutes later and it boot looped again. I've flashed different versions of clockwork, downloaded from different sources, done factory resets, everything I can think of. I don't know if I'm messing up, have dumb luck, the planets are out of alignment, or what lol. It's frustrating to say at the least.
    Must be the planets..lol because you did everything I could think of. Give me some time and I'll try to see if I can figure out what's going on. I'm busy right now but as soon as I get a chance I'll help you out.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast