[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt

Scrappy2620

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't boot up after installing a new ROM. It freezes on the HTC screen, and after about 10 seconds of being on the HTC screen, it vibrates, then reboots. It repeats this process until I pull the battery, then I have to boot into recovery and restore a back-up.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble booting into recovery though. I did the Flash Clockwork thing and all, but while rebooting my screen is just stuck on the white HTC screen. Any clue what's going on? Thanks.

It could take up to 5-6 minutes the first time the phone boots up with the new rom. Let it sit for a while on the HTC screen.

If it still doesn't load:
You may have a bad download of the rom. Re-download the zip after deleting the old one, to re-flash. Perform all three wipes (data, dalvik and cache), but first make certain your battery is highly charged (over 50%).

EDIT: is your phone stuck when trying to boot into Clockwork or after installing a new rom?

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...first time installing a custom ROM (BAMF remix). I have the free version of ROM manager and when I searched it for ROMS, it didn't have the latest BAMF remix...so I downloaded the latest remix via my computer and then saved it over to my TB via USB.

It was downloaded and saved as "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip.crdownload"
I am assuming I have to rename this to "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip" (i.e. remove the ".crdownload") and then flash it. Is this correct? Thanks.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Quick question...first time installing a custom ROM (BAMF remix). I have the free version of ROM manager and when I searched it for ROMS, it didn't have the latest BAMF remix...so I downloaded the latest remix via my computer and then saved it over to my TB via USB.

It was downloaded and saved as "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip.crdownload"
I am assuming I have to rename this to "BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip" (i.e. remove the ".crdownload") and then flash it. Is this correct? Thanks.

Its an extension that Google Chrome adds to saved files. I never use Google Chrome so I'm not sure if it affects the file or not. I was reading some poeple were having problems deleting files off of their computer when that extension gets added on... so I'm not sure. You can try it or if you want this is the download link from XDA for Bamf v1.6.3 ... You can download it straight from your phone.
http://onix-android.com/thatdudebutch/BAMF-Remix-v1.6.3.zip

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It could take up to 5-6 minutes the first time the phone boots up with the new rom. Let it sit for a while on the HTC screen.

If it still doesn't load:
You may have a bad download of the rom. Re-download the zip after deleting the old one, to re-flash. Perform all three wipes (data, dalvik and cache), but first make certain your battery is highly charged (over 50%).

EDIT: is your phone stuck when trying to boot into Clockwork or after installing a new rom?
Thanks for the reply.

It's stuck when I try to reboot into recovery. I haven't done anything with ROMs yet. So far the only thing I've done is flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and then tried to reboot into recovery, which is where it hangs. I let it go for at least 15 minutes and nothing...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It's stuck when I try to reboot into recovery. I haven't done anything with ROMs yet. So far the only thing I've done is flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and then tried to reboot into recovery, which is where it hangs. I let it go for at least 15 minutes and nothing...

I would try re-installing ROM Manager ... rebooting the phone and try again.

You installed Clockwork recovery in the very first few steps correct? You can also try repeating those steps again. It sounds like either clockwork was never installed or something went wrong during the installation. You can check if you have it by manually booting into recovery. Power off the phone... When the phone is off... Hold down the volume down button and the power on button at the same time until the phone boots up. It should boot you into hboot/bootloader... Select recovery and that should take you into clockworkmod the same way rom manager does. If it doesn't... You don't have clockworkmod installed correctly. Then try re-installing rom manager again.

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I would try re-installing ROM Manager ... rebooting the phone and try again.

You installed Clockwork recovery in the very first few steps correct? You can also try repeating those steps again. It sounds like either clockwork was never installed or something went wrong during the installation. You can check if you have it by manually booting into recovery. Power off the phone... When the phone is off... Hold down the volume down button and the power on button at the same time until the phone boots up. It should boot you into hboot/bootloader... Select recovery and that should take you into clockworkmod the same way rom manager does. If it doesn't... You don't have clockworkmod installed correctly. Then try re-installing rom manager again.
This is what I did from the beginning: Downloaded ROM manager, selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery," rebooted, opened ROM manager, clicked "Reboot into recovery." Then it gets stuck on the white HTC screen. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but to no avail.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll try manually booting into recovery in a bit. Thanks.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
This is what I did from the beginning: Downloaded ROM manager, selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery," rebooted, opened ROM manager, clicked "Reboot into recovery." Then it gets stuck on the white HTC screen. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but to no avail.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll try manually booting into recovery in a bit. Thanks.

No you didn't miss anything. Go into rom manager and scroll down to All ClockworkMod Recoveries. Try flashing a different version and see if that works. Also check the market and see if there are any updates available for Rom manager.

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No you didn't miss anything. Go into rom manager and scroll down to All ClockworkMod Recoveries. Try flashing a different version and see if that works. Also check the market and see if there are any updates available for Rom manager.
Flashed it to 3.0.2.4, but getting messae "Unable to stat /sdcard" after hitting backup.

edit: rebooted, it's working now

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Flashed it to 3.0.2.4, but getting messae "Unable to stat /sdcard" after hitting backup.

edit: rebooted, it's working now

Okay good... Glad you got it working. You can always try going back up to 3.0.2.5 if you want... It should work now. If not just stay with the version you're on.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've loaded both Bamf 1.6 remix, and NTE. Both het stuck in a boot loop at the HTC screen. Any idea how to fix this?

Did you make a backup of your stock rom? Manually boot into recovery... Power off the phone. Power back on while holding down the volume button at the same time. Scroll down to recovery... Go to install from sd card... Clockworkmod... Backups... And install your backup.

Try flashing the new rom again... Make sure you wipe data, cache partition and dalvik cache. Follow the guide and you should have no problems. Make sure you leave the downloaded roms zip file zipped. Let the phone install the new rom. It may pause for a while on the htc screen for about 5 minutes... Don't do anything... Let the new rom load up.

Scrappy2620

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you make a backup of your stock rom? Manually boot into recovery... Power off the phone. Power back on while holding down the volume button at the same time. Scroll down to recovery... Go to install from sd card... Clockworkmod... Backups... And install your backup.

Try flashing the new rom again... Make sure you wipe data, cache partition and dalvik cache. Follow the guide and you should have no problems. Make sure you leave the downloaded roms zip file zipped. Let the phone install the new rom. It may pause for a while on the htc screen for about 5 minutes... Don't do anything... Let the new rom load up.

Yah I backed up the ROM soon as I rooted. I've followed your guide step by step to a tee. I actually got NTE to boot once last night, but my device rebooted on its own about 5 minutes later and it boot looped again. I've flashed different versions of clockwork, downloaded from different sources, done factory resets, everything I can think of. I don't know if I'm messing up, have dumb luck, the planets are out of alignment, or what lol. It's frustrating to say at the least.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yah I backed up the ROM soon as I rooted. I've followed your guide step by step to a tee. I actually got NTE to boot once last night, but my device rebooted on its own about 5 minutes later and it boot looped again. I've flashed different versions of clockwork, downloaded from different sources, done factory resets, everything I can think of. I don't know if I'm messing up, have dumb luck, the planets are out of alignment, or what lol. It's frustrating to say at the least.

Must be the planets..lol because you did everything I could think of. Give me some time and I'll try to see if I can figure out what's going on. I'm busy right now but as soon as I get a chance I'll help you out.

Scrappy2620

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Must be the planets..lol because you did everything I could think of. Give me some time and I'll try to see if I can figure out what's going on. I'm busy right now but as soon as I get a chance I'll help you out.

Will do, I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm the only one on my block not cool enough to have a custom ROM :-(

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you wipe cache partition, dalvik cache, and full data wipe before you flashed the rom?

What rom was it?

What you need to do now is pull the battery out, wait a minute, put it back in, reboot into hboot (volume down plus power button), select recovery with volume keys, press power, then when it boots into recovery, navigate to backup and restore, select by pressing home key, select restore, and select your back up and press home key, then reboot.

this will get you back to your backup and things will be ok, and you can try to flash the rom again after that but make sure you wipe those things first or it will not work properly.
Yo... I am prolly getting the TB tomorrow morning.... I am rockin skyraider right now... obviously I am going to root it :) what Rom do you recommend and why? I figure since you know me the best you would be the best person to ask

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Alright...its hard to figure out what you did since I wasn't there when you did it... So we'll try to narrow this down a bit. First off did you rename the zip file by any chance? If you did let me know. Is the zip on the root of the sd card? If you boot into hboot. ... Power phone on while holding the volume down button at the same time. If you get to hboot/bootloader.. on top of the screen does it say S-Off. If you go into recovery... Does it say clockworkmod recovery on top of the screen. I'm thinking either you don't have S-Off or you have a problem with the clockworkmod installed. If I had to guess it would be clockworkmod.

Scrappy2620

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Alright...its hard to figure out what you did since I wasn't there when you did it... So we'll try to narrow this down a bit. First off did you rename the zip file by any chance? If you did let me know. Is the zip on the root of the sd card? If you boot into hboot. ... Power phone on while holding the volume down button at the same time. If you get to hboot/bootloader.. on top of the screen does it say S-Off. If you go into recovery... Does it say clockworkmod recovery on top of the screen. I'm thinking either you don't have S-Off or you have a problem with the clockworkmod installed. If I had to guess it would be clockworkmod.

Nope, I left it with its original name. I tried leaving it in the download folder, and I've also tried with it on the root of the SD card. It says S-off in hboot, and it says clockworkmod and the version number when I go into recovery. I've tried it with the newest version of clockworkmod, and I've also tried it flashed to the previous version. I've tried flashing v1.6 remix, and v1.6NTE. I also tried the new Virus airborne senseless to see if maybe the issue was with the BAMF Rom.

I'm dumbfounded. You think I need to unroot, do a factory reset, and root again?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I left it with its original name. I tried leaving it in the download folder, and I've also tried with it on the root of the SD card. It says S-off in hboot, and it says clockworkmod and the version number when I go into recovery. I've tried it with the newest version of clockworkmod, and I've also tried it flashed to the previous version. I've tried flashing v1.6 remix, and v1.6NTE. I also tried the new Virus airborne senseless to see if maybe the issue was with the BAMF Rom.

I'm dumbfounded. You think I need to unroot, do a factory reset, and root again?

Wow... you got me stumped. It sounds like you know what you're doing but something must have gone wrong somewhere along the way. I flash roms all the time from my download folder so that wouldn't even be a problem. The only thing I can think of is if it was a bad download of the zip but you said you tried multiple sources. It sounds like you tried every possible solution but if you haven't done so yet... delete all the custom roms off your SD Card. Download the Bamf rom from your phone and try flashing it from your download folder. The rom links are on the first page or there's a Bamf remix link that I posted about 10 posts ago. Other then that... like I said, something went wrong somewhere down the line and only you would know what it would be so if you feel like re-rooting then that may be your only option.
Are you using the latest radio version? Settings... about phone... Baseband version: 1.16.00.0402w_1

Unless someone else has some idea of what's happening and wants to help out... I'm as lost as you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC