[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderb

When installing a new rom it was my understanding I should copy the rom onto my sdcard but not in any folder.

If I go up a level in root explorer there is a separate folder called Root. It is two folders up from the folder called sd card. Do I copy the rom I want to install into that folder called Root or do I put it IN the SDCard folder but not in any of the folders inside there?

The reason I ask is when I try to install a rom that is just sitting on the SD Card but not in any folder on it the file is not visible in cwm. Cwm just shows me all the folders. If I put the rom IN a folder on the sd card I can browse to it in CWM and it IS visible.

Is there a problem installing roms that are IN a folder on the SDCard instead of NOT in a folder

Thanks for your help!

Just use Astro file manager if you need to move files. The ROM should show up in recovery even if its not in a folder. The problem is most likely that you're using Root Explorer.

Anyways... I download everything straight from my phones browser (Dolphin) and it goes straight to the Download folder on the sd card. Then when in recovery... Install from sd card... Downloads.. ROM xxx. It really doesn't matter where you store them... As long as you know where they are when you get to recovery. To keep things organized, you could even create a ROM folder. I keep everything in my Download folder because thats where it ends up by default.... Its just easier for me... no files to move around.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Ifixsharp said:
You posted on my thread that bamf find are pretty solid. On the Rom manager they have 1.0, 1.0.4, 1.0.5 will any of those work? Next they say I need Mr2 or better radio. How do I know and where do I find radios.

Thanks for your help
Radios and Roms are in the Guide: How to backup/restore and install ROMs on the Thunderbolt. All the info you need can be found in the stickies on the top of the forum page.

Yes any of them will work. Bamf 1.0.9 is the newer version... its only a fix/patch though. You will need to install 1.0.8 which is a full rom... then if you want to upgrade to 1.0.9 you can just flash the patch.

Don't use the MR2 radio... its old. Use the new Gingerbread radios.

Please ask all questions in the forums... I will not answer questions through pms.

VannM

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

This site has been tons of help and I thank you guys for it.

I have a few questions about installing the roms. Please bare with me, Im new at all of this.

I rooted my phone using the Revolutionary method on this site. Its been working great until this last verison update where my phone tries to update. So last night I figured I would try to install BAMF in hopes that the updates wouldnt happen. The install went fine (using the great guide in this thread). Only problem is that my contacts and aps were missing. So now I have restored my old rom and seem to be back to square one. I have my aps and contacts back but my phone is still going to try to update.

Basically my questions are:
1. How do I save my aps so they can be added to the BAMF?
2. How do I save my contacts so they can be added to the BAMF?
3. By using BAMF will the Verison updates stop?

The aps I have installed now are in the attachment.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

-Vann

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

This site has been tons of help and I thank you guys for it.

I have a few questions about installing the roms. Please bare with me, Im new at all of this.

I rooted my phone using the Revolutionary method on this site. Its been working great until this last verison update where my phone tries to update. So last night I figured I would try to install BAMF in hopes that the updates wouldnt happen. The install went fine (using the great guide in this thread). Only problem is that my contacts and aps were missing. So now I have restored my old rom and seem to be back to square one. I have my aps and contacts back but my phone is still going to try to update.

Basically my questions are:
1. How do I save my aps so they can be added to the BAMF?
2. How do I save my contacts so they can be added to the BAMF?
3. By using BAMF will the Verison updates stop?

The aps I have installed now are in the attachment.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

-Vann
I think I was reading your problem in another thread... you had lost everything when you wiped and were stuck trying to get back to recovery to flash a backup.

Taking the pg05img off of the sd card should have fixed that problem for you.... when you're done using a pg05img zip file, move it or delete it from the root of the sd card or you will run into that problem everytime you need to get to recovery.

So now that you're on your backup and are ready to flash a new rom...

CONTACTS
Your contacts were saved to the "phone" option. You should have everything saved to your Gmail account so that everything automatically syncs for you whether you're changing roms or changing phones.
Here's a guide for that:
Go to People > Menu > Import/Export and export the contacts from the phone to the SD card. Then connect the phone to the computer and downloaded the .vcf file to your computer. Then import the .vcf file into gmail.com and all of the contacts are saved there.
Importing contacts into Gmail: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help

APPS
For apps... you can use Titanium Backup if you like
You would have to open the app and go to backup/restore... choose an app.. select backup apk+data... and repeat for each app.
Flash the new rom.
Go to the market... download Titanium again.
Open the app and go to backup/restore... choose an app.. select restore apk+data... and repeat for each app.

Or you can open Titanium... menu... batch operations... backup all apps + data.
Flash rom.
Go to the market... download Titanium again.
Open Titanium.. menu.. batch operations... restore missing apps + data.
++++NEVER BACKUP OR RESTORE SYSTEM DATA WHEN USING TITANIUM or MYBACKUP++++

What I Recommend doing
I would skip using Titanium Backup (for now) and just use an app called "MyBackup For Root Users"... its a lot easier and user friendly to use. You can also use it to backup your contacts but I still recommend eventually transferring all of your contacts over to Gmail as mentioned above.

Stopping the OTAs
For your last question.... YES, any custom rom will stop the OTA updates from being pushed to the phone.

Last edited:

VannM

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the help. Im still doing something wrong and cant figure it out. I do believe that im getting closer tho.

I did the following steps last time.

Downloaded what I think is a ROM zip file.
Saved it to the download file (still a zip)
Backed everything up.
Cleared everything.
loaded the zip file.
waited..........

Then when I tried to turn my phone on it was getting stuck on the thunderblot animation for a few seconds then the phone would restart. It did this a few times.

So then I took the battery out, restored my phone, and downloaded the premium version of rom manager.

So then I used rom manager to download a ROM (BAMF).
Everything worked well and I was able to restore my settings and contacts and aps. I thought all was good but I still had problems getting my barnacle wireless teather to work,market apps wouldnt install and there were a few other buggy things happening.

Now I have restored back to stock rom again.

Maybe im expecting too much. Or maybe im downloading the wrong files. Im going to keep trying tho and hopefully I will get it to work correctly.

Thanks again,
VM

elindquist1

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

Just rooted last night and am now running Thunderstick 3D from rom manager. I also want to run a new kernel to make it snappier and conserve battery as well. Any suggestions?

VannM

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the help. Im still doing something wrong and cant figure it out. I do believe that im getting closer tho.

I did the following steps last time.

Downloaded what I think is a ROM zip file.
Saved it to the download file (still a zip)
Backed everything up.
Cleared everything.
loaded the zip file.
waited..........

Then when I tried to turn my phone on it was getting stuck on the thunderblot animation for a few seconds then the phone would restart. It did this a few times.

So then I took the battery out, restored my phone, and downloaded the premium version of rom manager.

So then I used rom manager to download a ROM (BAMF).
Everything worked well and I was able to restore my settings and contacts and aps. I thought all was good but I still had problems getting my barnacle wireless teather to work,market apps wouldnt install and there were a few other buggy things happening.

Now I have restored back to stock rom again.

Maybe im expecting too much. Or maybe im downloading the wrong files. Im going to keep trying tho and hopefully I will get it to work correctly.

Thanks again,
VM

I figured it out. I must have been installing a patch file and not the whole thing. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks again for all the help!

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out. I must have been installing a patch file and not the whole thing. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks again for all the help!

If you were trying to install 1.0.9 that was a patch from what I read. Glad your up and running.

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just rooted last night and am now running Thunderstick 3D from rom manager. I also want to run a new kernel to make it snappier and conserve battery as well. Any suggestions?

Best thing to do for that is find a thread on xda or rootz that is specific to your ROM and read what people had good results with. Some roms aren't compatible with some kernels.

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Forgive me if this has already been covered and i know it is a newb question but it is my first root and rom.
I have downloaded gingeritis 3D 1.07 as i try to flash it to my tb it keeps aborting. (file downloaded as Gingeritis3D-v1.07-signed.zip) (also tried to install as Gingeritis3D-v1.07.zip) downloaded the file to the root of sd card and followed instructions to install rom from http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html (aborts after step 12) what am i missing?

Tried downloading again and installing with ClockworkMod Recovery and received the same message. any ideas

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Forgive me if this has already been covered and i know it is a newb question but it is my first root and rom.
I have downloaded gingeritis 3D 1.07 as i try to flash it to my tb it keeps aborting. (file downloaded as Gingeritis3D-v1.07-signed.zip) (also tried to install as Gingeritis3D-v1.07.zip) downloaded the file to the root of sd card and followed instructions to install rom from http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html (aborts after step 12) what am i missing?

Tried downloading again and installing with ClockworkMod Recovery and received the same message. any ideas

Could be a bad download of the zip file.

Few things to try:
-Try downloading the file again and reflashing it.

Also...
-If your using your computer to download the file... right click on the file and check the properties. You might have a hidden extension, especially if you're using Chrome Browser... example: whateverrom.zip.zip (make sure there aren't two zip extensions)
-Easiest thing to do is to download files straight from your phones browser.

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Was downloading straight to phone. Downloaded to computer, transferred to sdcard, then installed and worked. Thanks

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Just flashed das bamf 1.10 last night and everything went smoothly thanks to your guide. This was my first attempt at rooting/flashing a ROM. The TB is my first Android phone, before that i had a pre plus and later a pre 2, both of which i had "rooted" and Overclocked/Undervolted. Even though i had become quite comfortable "fiddling" with WebOS, i was pretty intimidated with the Android rooting process. But after using the Revolutionary option to root and using your guide for everything else, it turns out that it was just as easy, again, thanks to your guide.
One question though.... I noticed that my old radios still worked. Do you still recommend flashing a new radio anyways? And if yes, what are the advantages? Sorry if this has already been answered but i searched the forums and couldn't really find a specific answer. Thanks in advance.
TG

Last edited:

socalslim

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I had tried loading CM7 on my TB without a couple of the wiping steps in this guide and couldn't get it to work. Following this step by step ended with success.

Thanks for taking the time to put this guide together. :)

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

One question though.... I noticed that my old radios still worked. Do you still recommend flashing a new radio anyways? And if yes, what are the advantages? Sorry if this has already been answered but i searched the forums and couldn't really find a specific answer. Thanks in advance.
TG

Newer raidos are not always better for everyone. Best way to find out is grab the latest one and give it a shot. If you data connectivity and radio signals improve it was worth it :) Worst case if your performance declines just flash the older one that gave you more reliable services. Personally I've had good results with the MR4 radios installed.

jeymiz

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

on my Tb, when I open ROM Manager, and tap the flash clockworkmod recovery, nothing happens. I have clockworkmod downloaded. i just dont get it, I'm following your forum. will ya plz point me in the right direction?:-!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

on my Tb, when I open ROM Manager, and tap the flash clockworkmod recovery, nothing happens. I have clockworkmod downloaded. i just dont get it, I'm following your forum. will ya plz point me in the right direction?:-!

rmav.jpg

In step #1... what does it say under "flash clockworkmod recovery"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo