[Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows)**Updated**5/20** w/MR1 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Special thanks to jcase and Team AndIRC for all their work and for streamlining the manual adb process

autostartcomplete-1.png

[warn]The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.

IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police, Android Central, Team AndIRC and myself disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

Download times maybe rather long, root includes OS downgrade and upgrade images.
I have created this to make the process easier but as a user you should know and understand the use of adb.
If for some reason the process should fail there may be need to manually troubleshoot and proceed using adb commands
under the tips area of this thread i will supply references to familiarize yourself with adb[/warn]

[info]USB driver download (All are the same):
Tip: For best results use USB ports in the back of the computer. [/info]
[INFO]
  • This Version includes the most recent rooted update.
  • i also have added auto checksum. so that if the proper files have not been written to the phone it will not let you proceed into bootloader
[/INFO]

Auto Root MR1

• Download Auto root
  • Unzip to anywhere on computer
  • Close HTC Sync from your computers task bar
  • Activate USB Debugging and Stay Awake on your phone
  • Set the phone to Charge only
  • Open TB_Auto_root Folder
  • Double click Start_Root MR1
  • Follow prompted directions carefully

Download here:

Video Demonstration thanks to DanSan
YouTube - ‪How to Root: HTC Thunderbolt One Click App‬‏

[tip]
Remember the following:
  • HTC sync installed
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer(adb only officially supports the first primary USB port -- these are all in the back of the computer, and slower/older computers often have problems using a different one)
  • Activate debugging mode and stay awake (below USB debugging)
  • Phone in charge only mode
  • When the process looks like its hanging its actually writing the file to your sd card so be patient
  • READ the directions carefully.
  • After root is done restart the phone.

Familiarize yourself with ADB
[/tip]

*******************************************************************************************

[warn]When using automated methods carefully read all instruction provided by prompt before proceeding. This method will unroot you and return you to stock with S-on. Neither Android Central or I are responsible for anything that you do to your phone.[/warn]

Auto Unroot
  • Download Auto unroot
  • Unzip to anywhere on computer
  • Activate debugging mode and stay awake (below USB debugging)
  • Set the phone to Charge only
  • Open TB_Auto_unroot Folder
  • Double click Start unroot
  • Follow prompted directions carefully

Auto Unroot:
USE this thread for now [HOWTO] Restore to stock for root users and non-root users UPDATED 5/17/2011 - xda-developers
Pulled for modifications
*****************************************************************************************
Credits
Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC Cory Streater for his walk through dsb9938 for the tutorial cleanup Testers, especially ProTekk and Trident Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here All firmware credit goes to 911sniper Jaroslav from Android Police for editorial help If I missed anyone in the credits, it was unintentional and I will fix it as soon as Jcase lets me know who else should be added. Lots of people had their hands in on this project. Modeled and adapted after the original method here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How safe is it?

i dont know how to answer this question, ive only set 4 phones on fire with it so....

its exactly like doing it manually , just automated so its nothing new. and i added a couple more lines of code to take care of doing things like writing the OS images to the sdcard instead of you having to manually transfer the files and rename them. this renames them for you .

as long as you carefully read the directions it prompts then its just as safe as doing it manually.

Reactions: squirrelc2001

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in the process of downloading this auto root deal. I have never rooted before. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do after doing this root process?

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Debloat, and backup.

Oh Gods I can't wait!!! I've been so used to just setting up my phone with a new rom and kernel whenever I wanted, overclocking etc, that having stock for the last month now has been like jail. I can honestly say I haven't had ANY problems with it, but after the customization I had with my OGD, the TB is getting kinda stale. Is that bad??... :-[

I was giving stock a try until an auto root came out, just to see how it was since it had been a year since I've had anything stock... Times up!!

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh Gods I can't wait!!! I've been so used to just setting up my phone with a new rom and kernel whenever I wanted, overclocking etc, that having stock for the last month now has been like jail. I can honestly say I haven't had ANY problems with it, but after the customization I had with my OGD, the TB is getting kinda stale. Is that bad??... :-[

I was giving stock a try until an auto root came out, just to see how it was since it had been a year since I've had anything stock... Times up!!

lol...

TB is still in its infancy stages, so give it some time before you jump ship. Stale? Perhaps... but I'd like to look at the Bolt as a fine wine ;)

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The greatest single core out there, right!!?? ;)

And besides, with all the "unroots" out there, if they do a good job supporting it, not a problem... Right??... :cool:

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Could the OP help newbies by telling us just what we're downloading in the auto root and unroot packages?

Edit: Never mind... I see what it is. Wow, I *am* a newbie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.