Now that I've rooted...(my incorrect assumptions)

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Not Pulling Gmail Contacts:

I've been vocal about not wanting my Gmail contacts on my phone. I pinned this on the VZ rep, and these contact always appeared in the darkedst corners of my phone. I assumed that I could tie in my Gmail account and deselect a "sync contacts" option of some sort. There was no such option, and it pulled in my contacts. My phone was very close to having wings. I logged inot Gmail on my PC, backed them up to Outlook CSV, and deleted all of them (they disappeared from my phone within seconds). I'll pull them into Outlook one day soon.

Backup Assistant:

While I reviewed the debloat threads a bit, I didn't pick up that this couldn't be debloated. Not that it would have prevented me from rooting, but I hate BA and want it dead.

DLed Apps (ZDBox):

I was fully confident that I didn't need to push my APKs to my SD card, since I could DL them through the Market. I was wrong on both counts, as ZDBox dind't find the 50 apps I moved to my SD card after rooting. I guess I was wrong about how that really works. But now I'm rooted, and I have Titanium. I'm intrigued to see how this comes together after a Kernal and ROM flash.

DLed Apps (Market):

I was under the assumption that I could open the market, click My Apps, and everything I've DLed would appear there for me to reinstall. Nope, only the ones I paid for. This one still hurts.

What eased my pain:

DXC's insomnia and tolerant girlfriend (or failing relationship, because only one of those two would give him the time to help people until 6am one night and me at 1:30 last night - link - http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...dure-how-root-thunderbolt-adb-windows-39.html). Thanks for getting me through the unexpected messages.

Simi Clock and Simi Folder:

Backing up these configurations and layouts and being able to easily restore them is something that pained me to the end when I would change themes on my Storm. The only thing that would have made this better is if all of the apps were on my card or phone, but with each one I reinstall, it goes into its proper folder from my pre-root configuration. If you don't have these, go get them. Hurry.

Amazon App Store:

Thank you for popping up a window showing me all of the wonderful apps you've given me for free over the past few weeks, including my beloved SwiftKey (I could never go back to that stock keyboard...the last few hours sucked).

HTC Sync:

You're everything I thought you would be. Hello Outlook Calendar and OCD-organized Contacts: :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar