Whats the bottom line with the update and root?

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
After looking extensively at the forum, I still couldnt seem to find a clear cut answer on what rooted users should do to successfully get and install the update that was suppose to be released yesterday.
I am currently rooted but with stock programing (aka I having flashed any other versions etc.)
I guess my main question is, What should I do?
I have tried to click "check new" on my phone to see if the update has been available for my region, but nothing happens? is that normal? shouldnt it say something? Has my root somehow made it so I cannot check for and download the update?
Additionally even if I am able to get the software update, will it allow me to download and install the update? or do I need to unroot and them install the update?

lastly, when I do somehow get and install the update, will it wipe my phone?

Im sorry if my questions are lengthy, but the Thunderbolt is my first android phone (which I am currently in love with) and I guess I am looking for some guidance for this update. I really appreciate everyone on this forum, you guys are awesome.

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com
Nothing seems to be definitive, but here is a summary from other threads. This guidance is for people who are using "Root Stock" (e.g. have not installed a custom ROM). This is my interpretation of what other people have said in the forums.

If the OTA update makes it to your phone, you will likely be prompted to install the update. So it's not going to "just happen" without your consent.

Best advice is to NOT install the OTA update if you have a rooted phone. Consensus is the update would "likely fail" anyway if you have made changes to the system or have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. There is some concern that bad things could happen if OTA is allowed when some specific minor modifications have already been made to a rooted phone (previously installed kernels? radios?).

If you want these updates immediately upon their release, you should unroot your phone first. The unroot process will wipe your phone.

If you can wait, it is quite likely that some of the wonderful souls here on the forum will create a custom update (or ROM) for root users after they get their hands on the OTA update. I have no idea if this would wipe your phone or not.

And finally, if you choose to unroot now and install the OTA update when it is available, it may very well make it more difficult to root your phone again in the future.

My personal choice? I'm going to wait. If the OTA appears on my phone, I am going to decline the installation (assuming it lets me do that). And I'll keep an eye on the forum to see if a custom solution arrives. I can always change my mind down the road, unroot and install the OTA in a couple of weeks.

DISCLAIMER: Summary written by a newcomer. Perhaps an expert can chime in about the accuracy of these statements?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Nothing seems to be definitive, but here is a summary from other threads. This guidance is for people who are using "Root Stock" (e.g. have not installed a custom ROM). This is my interpretation of what other people have said in the forums.

If the OTA update makes it to your phone, you will likely be prompted to install the update. So it's not going to "just happen" without your consent.

Best advice is to NOT install the OTA update if you have a rooted phone. Consensus is the update would "likely fail" anyway if you have made changes to the system or have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. There is some concern that bad things could happen if OTA is allowed when some specific minor modifications have already been made to a rooted phone (previously installed kernels? radios?).

If you want these updates immediately upon their release, you should unroot your phone first. The unroot process will wipe your phone.

If you can wait, it is quite likely that some of the wonderful souls here on the forum will create a custom update (or ROM) for root users after they get their hands on the OTA update. I have no idea if this would wipe your phone or not.

And finally, if you choose to unroot now and install the OTA update when it is available, it may very well make it more difficult to root your phone again in the future.

My personal choice? I'm going to wait. If the OTA appears on my phone, I am going to decline the installation (assuming it lets me do that). And I'll keep an eye on the forum to see if a custom solution arrives. I can always change my mind down the road, unroot and install the OTA in a couple of weeks.

DISCLAIMER: Summary written by a newcomer. Perhaps an expert can chime in about the accuracy of these statements?

This is pretty much a perfect response. If you are rooted...wait for either a ROM or if you really want the OTA best course that will lead to the least problems is to unroot.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt via Tapatalk.

Reactions: milwaukee613

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, some of the custom ROMs already have the update in them. I am using das BAMF 1.6.1 and it is using the updated rom as it was leaked some days ago along with the updated radio. Chingy's ROM also has the updated rom and can take the updated radio.

There seem to be some rebooting issues for some with the new rom and radio. I have been using both for almost a week now and have not had a single reboot so YMMV.

Just wanted to let you know that the updates are already available for rooted TB's.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles