Question about root and updates

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all. I'm still wishing I could root my damn phone and it's starting to look like a one-touch job that will retain my settings and configurations is never going to happen.

I'm not hyped about putting a bunch of far out, stripped down ROMs on my phone. I think I want to just go ahead and stick with Sense (albeit debloated).

My question is - what happens when an update occurs such as the one that is about to come out any day now? Yeah, that's a patch. What about when a major update like 2.3 comes out?

I can handle everything getting wiped ONE TIME, but there is no way in hell I'm going to reinstall everything and set up all the configurations every time I want to install an update manually because I'm rooted.

How does this work?

Thanks.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all. I'm still wishing I could root my damn phone and it's starting to look like a one-touch job that will retain my settings and configurations is never going to happen.

I'm not hyped about putting a bunch of far out, stripped down ROMs on my phone. I think I want to just go ahead and stick with Sense (albeit debloated).

My question is - what happens when an update occurs such as the one that is about to come out any day now? Yeah, that's a patch. What about when a major update like 2.3 comes out?

I can handle everything getting wiped ONE TIME, but there is no way in hell I'm going to reinstall everything and set up all the configurations every time I want to install an update manually because I'm rooted.

How does this work?

Thanks.

To start, I am pretty sure there is no root method that will retain your current data on the phone. Rooting this phone requirs wiping the handheld completely and basically reinstalling the OS with the root. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure theres no way to get around that.

Aside from that regarding the update. I have a rooted Thunderbolt, with stock ROM (SenseUI). I do know that any OTA the udpate will probably fail if you rooted your phone and if you that concerned with OTA the updates you will need to unroot your phone to properly update.

However, the great poeple on this forum as well as XDA usually come out with ROMS that are based on big OTA udpates (like CM7 which will be a Gingerbread Based ROM). Basically it all comes down to what you want to do. Personally I love the stock Sense UI so I just rooted my phone to get rid of the bloatware. Once CM7 comes out for the TB, I will consider that but until then, rooting to remove bloat is probably your best bet if you don't want to play around with ROMs. If you read the guides on here and XDA they are easy to follow and not complicated at all, but it is your device and no one can tell you what you would rather do.

Edit:

I was like you about rooting/roms a couple months ago when I had my Fascinate. Once I decided to root that and put a ROM on it, I never looked back to running full stock. When you root your phone, you unlock the full potential of the device. Look at it this way... stock phone without root, you are like a Guest user on a computer. With root access, you are an admin on a computer. Yes there is a small chance to brick your phone but if you follow directions and take your time, you will be fine and you will enjoy your device even more.

In regards to the data wiping, I don't think there is anything you can do about that. If it doesnt wipe data usually it causes problems with the phone that will make it intolerable to use like constant reboots. In the end, its almost like you are reinstalling Windows on a desktop, it will clean everything off and gives you a fresh start. With programs like Titanium Backup, you can put all your apps/settings right back on the phone.

Last edited:

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand that to root the phone, it has to be wiped. That's why I haven't done it so far.

I have no problem with doing that... ONCE.

I also understand that OTA updates are probably out from that point forward. That's fine. Don't need that either.

My concern is using the update ROMs for Sense I'll be downloading and flashing when they're available. If I have to re-setup everything on the phone every time I use one of those, that will drive me insane. No way I could handle that.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand that to root the phone, it has to be wiped. That's why I haven't done it so far.

I have no problem with doing that... ONCE.

I also understand that OTA updates are probably out from that point forward. That's fine. Don't need that either.

My concern is using the update ROMs for Sense I'll be downloading and flashing when they're available. If I have to re-setup everything on the phone every time I use one of those, that will drive me insane. No way I could handle that.

Major updates like that, yes I believe they will wipe your data whenever you update those.

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Would the upcoming update be considered 'major' or just the really big patches like the 2.3 upgrade that's suppose to be coming?

How is Verizon going to handle the 2.3 upgrade? I'm guessing that for non-rooted users that do it OTA (assuming it will come out that way) they won't have to worry about their settings being wiped, right?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Generally the OTA updates don't wipe anything even with major releases (2.1 to 2.2, 2.2 to 2.3, etc). For those you may run into issues such as force closes and apps not working correctly so it's a good idea to do a factory reset yourself and start fresh.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Generally the OTA updates don't wipe anything even with major releases (2.1 to 2.2, 2.2 to 2.3, etc). For those you may run into issues such as force closes and apps not working correctly so it's a good idea to do a factory reset yourself and start fresh.

Yea regular OTA updates don't wipe the phone, but I think his main concern is if he is rooted, every time there is an update will he need to wipe/unroot to updated.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There's no real reason to install the update if you're already rooted. Within days there will be custom roms based off of any update.

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed but wouldn't installing these roms cause data wipes on the phone?

Thats where applications like Titanium Backup come into play. It saves your data. I am new to Android phones coming from a blackberry before my TB. I rooted the first week and installed BAMF 1.4 at the time. I have upgraded since then but to be honest the learning curve is not too bad.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thats where applications like Titanium Backup come into play. It saves your data. I am new to Android phones coming from a blackberry before my TB. I rooted the first week and installed BAMF 1.4 at the time. I have upgraded since then but to be honest the learning curve is not too bad.

Yea I know I mentioned Titanium in my original post. I use it all the time its a great app.

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I think I've got a handle on this now. Not using OTA updates and instead flashing these ROMs manually when we get access to them will most likely cause the phone to be wiped every time. Even 'minor' updates like the updating we're waiting on to come out 'soon'.

And Titanium Backup is the solution to keep from having to redo everything each time there is an update.

Got it.

Damn, that sounds like alot of work. Makes me wonder if rooting just so I can get rid of the bloatware is going to even be worth it.

bipolarbear187

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I think I've got a handle on this now. Not using OTA updates and instead flashing these ROMs manually when we get access to them will most likely cause the phone to be wiped every time. Even 'minor' updates like the updating we're waiting on to come out 'soon'.

And Titanium Backup is the solution to keep from having to redo everything each time there is an update.

Got it.

Damn, that sounds like alot of work. Makes me wonder if rooting just so I can get rid of the bloatware is going to even be worth it.

Getting rid of the bloatware is definitely worth it! Just so you know, there is also a program called My Backup Root which may be a little more user friendly than Titanium Backup if you are new to all this and I also believe it maintains your home screen layouts as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot&feature=search_result

There is also a pro version and a non-root user version. Titanium Backup Pro offers a lot more features, but isn't quite as user friendly in my opinion. Personally, I have both on my phone just for different features of each.

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks bear. I'll check that out.

Acutally, there is one other high priority reason I want to root for - wireless tether without having to resort to all these crappy apps that require you install a client on your laptop or desktop (I want to tether my Xbox). Forgot about that.

Do you know if My Backup Root handles SMS/MMS messages as well? That's a big one for me.

bipolarbear187

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks bear. I'll check that out.

Acutally, there is one other high priority reason I want to root for - wireless tether without having to resort to all these crappy apps that require you install a client on your laptop or desktop (I want to tether my Xbox). Forgot about that.

Do you know if My Backup Root handles SMS/MMS messages as well? That's a big one for me.

Yes, My Backup Root does SMS/MMS as well as call logs and I have had more success with it than Titanium Backup for those. That's the main reason I use both.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, My Backup Root does SMS/MMS as well as call logs and I have had more success with it than Titanium Backup for those. That's the main reason I use both.

Haven't tried My Backup but use the pro version of Titanium. Backup. Sounds like My Backup has some nice features. To backup text messages and call logs I use two free programs available from the Market, SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore. Not as convenient as using one program but it does the job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante