Poor battery life on root

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have 1.6.3 bamf installed with the 4.4.7 kernel. I lose 23 percent in about 1.5 hours. The screen is off most of the time. Should I unroot and then reroot to help battery life? Any other recommendations?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have 1.6.3 bamf installed with the 4.4.7 kernel. I lose 23 percent in about 1.5 hours. The screen is off most of the time. Should I unroot and then reroot to help battery life? Any other recommendations?

Install the app called current widget. Place it on the homescreen. Idling with the screen off it should pull ~40mA with nothing going on. If you have data on then there will be little spikes since it has to re authenticate its connection. If the screen is on and you're not doing anything, then you should be pulling 105-125mA. This is with screen brightness set at 25%.

Have you recalibrate the battery recently?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
What is some more info like are you running 4g or 3g or connecting to wifi? If you are connected to the data service how is your signal strength generally?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
With data off, the brightness at 25 percent, and with wifi off, it started around 326 mA. After turning off the screen and turning it back on, it hovers between 178 and 242 mA.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this may sound stupid but I've noticed that my phone seems to drain quicker from 100% to about 85%. After that drain seems to slow down significantly. I know that probably sounds like it doesn't make sense but I notice this sometimes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
With data off, the brightness at 25 percent, and with wifi off, it started around 326 mA. After turning off the screen and turning it back on, it hovers between 178 and 242 mA.

Not normal, download "System Panel". This will show you what apps are eating CPU cycles. Also shows your clock speed to see if it's stuck at the highest setting. You might have an app/widget that is sucking juice. You're not using a live wallpaper are you?

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Not normal, download "System Panel". This will show you what apps are eating CPU cycles. Also shows your clock speed to see if it's stuck at the highest setting. You might have an app/widget that is sucking juice. You're not using a live wallpaper are you?

No live wallpaper. I will get system panel now.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
With all data off (and even on as long is it's not sending something)I can sit here hitting the current widget every five seconds and it will hover between 105-125mA.
Try turning the phone on Airplane mode and doing the current widget test. You might be having issues with your Cell Radio if it's not an app.

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
With all data off (and even on as long is it's not sending something)I can sit here hitting the current widget every five seconds and it will hover between 105-125mA.
Try turning the phone on Airplane mode and doing the current widget test. You might be having issues with your Cell Radio if it's not an app.

While on airplane mode, it sits at about 114.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
While on airplane mode, it sits at about 114.

Well it sound like you have the radio issues I had while I was on bamf (every now and then I'd have these big current draws for no reason, Airplane mode would stop it and sometimes fix it for a while). Honestly, I'd recommend flashing a different ROM. I don't know why this happens. What radio are you on? updated or original?

I've had great luck with Perfect Storm. Or Vanilla Bean if you want desensed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdonpaul

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Well it sound like you have the radio issues I had while I was on bamf (every now and then I'd have these big current draws for no reason, Airplane mode would stop it and sometimes fix it for a while). Honestly, I'd recommend flashing a different ROM. I don't know why this happens. What radio are you on? updated or original?

I've had great luck with Perfect Storm. Or Vanilla Bean if you wand desensed.

I will give Vanilla Bean a shot. Not sure what radio I am on. Thanks for all the help.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: bigdonpaul

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
No problem. If you still have issues or want to double check you have the new leaked radio just flash the first one from this thread in HBOOT http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...adio-obligatory-thunderbolt-radio-thread.html

Or try any of the combos. Just remember to take the PG05img file off when done to avoid issues down the road if you ever need to boot into recovery via hboot to restore a backup.,

I am actually considering flashing a new radio from this thread, running BAMF 1.6.3 as well and never flashed a new radio through hboot. Will this wipe data or anything?

bigdonpaul

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I flashed to Vanilla Bean 1.2 with the 4.3 kernel last night. I previously had BAMF 1.6.3. Only lost 4% battery on idle overnight. Thanks again Forgetful.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I flashed to Vanilla Bean 1.2 with the 4.3 kernel last night. I previously had BAMF 1.6.3. Only lost 4% battery on idle overnight. Thanks again Forgetful.

How do you like Vanilla Bean? I am considering flashing that in combination with the leaked new CDMA Old LTE radio.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Good news, and flashing the radio file will NOT delete any of your data.

VB1.2 with the new radio is treating me well.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Good news, and flashing the radio file will NOT delete any of your data.

VB1.2 with the new radio is treating me well.

Right now I have the New CDMA Old LTE but I am considering flashing the totally new one. Only reason I didn't most areas I am in don't have 4G yet.

Flashing the newest leak radio with both new CDMA and LTE now. Hopefully I wont experience any issues.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke