Root & OTA update question

sonicbuffalo

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Someone explained to me that you can use auto root or RUU, but if you use auto root, you will lose the update, so you'll have to flash that if you choose....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Some of the ROMs, like the ever-popular DasBAMF 1.6.3 is already based off of the update, so you would only need to install the new radio.

What I will tell is that you SHOULD NOT run the OTA on a rooted phone still running stock, or so I was told (I certainly wasn't about to try it).

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So it is ok to use the auto root even though the update has been installed on my phone? I didn't think this was true.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Some of the ROMs, like the ever-popular DasBAMF 1.6.3 is already based off of the update, so you would only need to install the new radio.

What I will tell is that you SHOULD NOT run the OTA on a rooted phone still running stock, or so I was told (I certainly wasn't about to try it).
I have a question... and CANT get a straight answer... What is the easiest way to ROOT my phone since i am stock and accepted the newest OTA update a week or so ago... I wanted to use the auto root method but I cant get an answer if it is safe to do it that way with the new OTA... I was able to find a method involving SDK and ADB but I am kinda uncomfortable doing that way...

bugg77

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a question... and CANT get a straight answer... What is the easiest way to ROOT my phone since i am stock and accepted the newest OTA update a week or so ago... I wanted to use the auto root method but I cant get an answer if it is safe to do it that way with the new OTA... I was able to find a method involving SDK and ADB but I am kinda uncomfortable doing that way...

Since you're going to root, I recommend you go ahead and do it with ADB. Just follow the directions, it really isn't hard to do. If you pay attention, you'll even learn a few things that can be helpful later on.

Reactions: ssethv

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Since you're going to root, I recommend you go ahead and do it with ADB. Just follow the directions, it really isn't hard to do. If you pay attention, you'll even learn a few things that can be helpful later on.
thats what I was afraid of... I guess I need to read adb and sdk for dummies first... I just wonder if the 1-click will work for people like me that already accepted the OTA?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I just wonder if the 1-click will work for people like me that already accepted the OTA?

I'd post in the dedicated thread that's stickied at the top and see what DroidXcon says. The "1-click" and the manual method are pretty much the same except that instead of copying and pasting the commands into the command prompt, DXc's file does it for you.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd post in the dedicated thread that's stickied at the top and see what DroidXcon says. The "1-click" and the manual method are pretty much the same except that instead of copying and pasting the commands into the command prompt, DXc's file does it for you.
I did post a few days ago and he said he would look into it but hasn't got back to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad