Question with titanium and how to safely choose just unbloat apps for backup/restore

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My question has to do with the use of titanium backup pro to choose specifically just the apps i want to have for when i restore a new ROM. Basically how do you choose specific apps and data instead of batch files for both backing up as well as restoring on a new ROM?

thanks

edit: how do you choose specific apps for restore and backup on a schedule? (not just all apps+system data)

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I never use schedules but I usually just restore all apps and then go back and freeze the bloat again. I don't think there's a way to individually restore apps unless they're already on the phone. I never tried it before but there's an option to create an update zip that you can flash from recovery. That might possibly restore your settings as they were.

Reactions: Kyle L

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
When using Titanium, if you hit "Backup/Restore" at the top of the page, you should see a listing of all apps. From there, you can click on each app individual and choose to either backup or restore the data (if there is a backup present).

A backup will gather the app AND the data. When you restore, you have the option to restore one or the other. In most cases, if the app has already been re-installed on your device, you only need to restore the data.

You can see a bit of this in the screenshot I included in this guide:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...store-apps-data-when-installing-new-roms.html

If you hit the MENU button, you can also pull up the legend, so you can see what the different icons next to the apps indicate.

Reactions: Kyle L

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Once the phone is wiped clean after flashing a rom, Titanium wouldn't have any apps listed under backup/restore. You would have to run the command for returning missing apps... No?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Once the phone is wiped clean after flashing a rom, Titanium wouldn't have any apps listed under backup/restore. You would have to run the command for returning missing apps... No?

Titanium will list all apps that are currently installed, AS WELL AS those that have a saved backup.

...at least mine does.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Titanium will list all apps that are currently installed, AS WELL AS those that have a saved backup.

...at least mine does.

That's what im saying. If you just wiped the data from flashing a rom. Re-downloaded Titanium from the market.. there wouldn't be any apps on the phone until you ran the command for restoring missing apps.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thought it saves that stuff to the sd card

It does and when you run the command for restoring missing apps, that's where they come from. We're talking about having the apps listed under the backup/restore tab. Which if you just re-downloaded Titanium after a data wipe... There wouldn't be any listed there yet. Unless im missing something... That's what im trying to figure out.. maybe im missing out on something. If I am, I would love to know how to.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
@paintdrinkingpete
Im not saying you're wrong I'm just trying to understand things better since I never restore apps one by one. For me, I have more apps that I use then apps that I don't use so its faster for me to run a batch for restoring all apps and then going back and freezing the ones I don't use anymore.
But just so I understand, you're saying that if I just downloaded Titanium after a wipe, Titanium will read the backup folder off of the sd card and display all the apps?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
@paintdrinkingpete
Im not saying you're wrong I'm just trying to understand things better since I never restore apps one by one. For me, I have more apps that I use then apps that I don't use so its faster for me to run a batch for restoring all apps and then going back and freezing the ones I don't use anymore.
But just so I understand, you're saying that if I just downloaded Titanium after a wipe, Titanium will read the backup folder off of the sd card and display all the apps?

This is what i thought happens

Yes...that is what I'm saying. It behaves that way on mine -- granted, I keep the default setting for the SD Card save folder as well, so that may make a difference in the behavior of the app (probably won't automatically recognized backed up apps if they aren't in the default "TitaniumBackup" folder).

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes...that is what I'm saying. It behaves that way on mine -- granted, I keep the default setting for the SD Card save folder as well, so that may make a difference in the behavior of the app (probably won't automatically recognized backed up apps if they aren't in the default "TitaniumBackup" folder).

Okay.. thanks. Never knew that. I always use the batch operation so I never noticed but that will come in handy next time someone has a question about it.

mhawk71

May 4, 2011
Visit site
i just did this today tit will show all apps installed and all the apps on the back up on ur sd card but not installed will show with a line through them. if u want to reinstall just long press on the apps u want to reinstall which will be the ones with a line in them and a menu will pop up saying reinstall. just click it and it reinstall but becareful when u do a back up of your apps it backs up all apps even ones included with the rom so if u make a back up from an old rom and install all ur back ups on a new rom u may overwrite some of the apps that are on the new rom just select the apps u know u downloaded from the market