Easy Root for Thunderbolt?

Stealth v3

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm unfortunately a newb with smartphones so I'm not sure if there is any easy way to root the Thunderbolt yet. Me and my friend spent hours trying to do it the hard way but came up empty. Is there a sure fire way to do it in a timely fashion yet? And if so could anyone send me a link to the place that offers an easy root? This information would help me out an insane amount and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
+1... But I'm sure there isn't. It would be all over this site.. guessing the bolt is a little more complex for a one click root.

Stealth v3

May 30, 2011
Visit site
+1... But I'm sure there isn't. It would be all over this site.. guessing the bolt is a little more complex for a one click root.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I figured. I was so discouraged the other day when I spent an hour trying to root it. It was complex and took many steps, I made it to the last step and it denied permission. Hopefully they will have an easy root soon, sucks having a superior phone to my friends yet their phones are all rooted haha...

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I never rooted before, other then reboots everything works well. Guess I'm a little afraid to mess that up. But if someone near me knew how to I'd do it..

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm unfortunately a newb with smartphones so I'm not sure if there is any easy way to root the Thunderbolt yet. Me and my friend spent hours trying to do it the hard way but came up empty. Is there a sure fire way to do it in a timely fashion yet? And if so could anyone send me a link to the place that offers an easy root? This information would help me out an insane amount and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Since you didn't provide your reason for wanting to root, I can only say... why? You mention that you are a noobie with smartphones. That's not really the best start. You might want to forgo the rooting and wait until you discover a specific feature that can only be realized by rooting.

-Frank

Stealth v3

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Since you didn't provide your reason for wanting to root, I can only say... why? You mention that you are a noobie with smartphones. That's not really the best start. You might want to forgo the rooting and wait until you discover a specific feature that can only be realized by rooting.

-Frank

Yes, sorry about that. I want to root so I can use my phone's mobile hotspot feature. I can't get the internet at my place so this feature would be ideal. And the pain of rooting is worth forgoing the monthly fee from Verizon.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
The "rooting to get free mobile hotspot" isn't going to be a valid reason too much longer. I believe that we still have the free hotspot feature through the 15th, but there will be a point in the not too distant future where that won't work anymore.

Consider looking at this:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sometimes-root-isn’t-answer

If you are intimidated by the current methods of rooting the TB, then I respectfully say that you shouldn't root. I messed around with a couple ROMs, kernels and stuff, but brought it back to stock because my speaker went out on my earpiece.

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Well the hotspot feature is free for another month i believe (im using it right now! so fast!)...i would take advantage of that for now then maybe by the time the free trial is up maybe there will be a easier way to root the TBOLT

vanster

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Use the auto root method

I used the auto root method in the root,roms and hacks forum. Took about 20 min.and it was very easy.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I used the auto root method in the root,roms and hacks forum. Took about 20 min.and it was very easy.

agreed.

did this friday night after downloading everything
autoroot=800MB, so...expect to be there a while while it downloads.

from starting the program to finish--took me 45 minutes. that was 45 minutes spent sitting by the phone & watching tv while it did it's thing.

it's honestly the easiest thing to do.
not one click, but i touched my phone maybe 3 times during the whole process, just to confirm what was on the screen & execute the pending action by the program.

do this. i'm loading rom's like a mad man.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The issue with the thunderbolt is the locked bootloader. HTC recently announced they would no longer be locking the bootloaders on new phones (hooray for us!)...but that doesn't do us much good in the present day with our current thunderbolts.

Based on what is involved to gain full root (with s-off) access on this phone, it would be pretty much impossible to do any way that is much simpler than the auto-root scripts that have been posted on this site.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Well the hotspot feature is free for another month i believe (im using it right now! so fast!)...i would take advantage of that for now then maybe by the time the free trial is up maybe there will be a easier way to root the TBOLT

The mobile hotspot feature is free until June 15.

rtj0615

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
there is a youtube video that shows u step by step how to root the thunderbolt. i used this method it works it takes about 1 hour of your time. it tells you the websites where to download all the files. it a time consuming process but at the end of day you will be ok. im a newbie myself. i just worked just fine for me perfectly.enjoy!!

rtj0615

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I've been waiting for to root, an exact tutorial for the autoroot. Thanks for that. Only thing is, how do you go about flashing ROMs?

There is 2 ways to flash(remember im a newbie but this has worked great for me) i have read A LOT...

1)Download ROM MANAGER there are ROMs there u can flash..

What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card.open ROM MANAGER, go to INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD, scroll down select the ROM u downloaded, wait a few mintues and enjoy...

2) flash through RECOVERY.... (restart phone hold power and vol down)

{What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card. restart phone vol down go, select RECOVERY then to go to sd card pick the name of the ROM then press power to start. wait a few minutes n enjoy..}

How to flash depends on the ROM itself. both ways will work.. through ROM MANAGER u might have some apps that dont open properly.

Hope this work for you it has worked for me after fooling around with it. just would like to pass around info i found. its really not that hard. this process takes about 10 min either way....

Reactions: johndabeast

Xtgirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I used autoroot and I used the guides on this forum to learn about flashing roms..the guides were well thought out and very easy to follow. I thought it was more scary to root than following the flashing roms guide..auto root went smoothly but took a while on some steps and that always makes me nervous.