Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Easy Root for Thunderbolt?

    Hey everyone,

    I'm unfortunately a newb with smartphones so I'm not sure if there is any easy way to root the Thunderbolt yet. Me and my friend spent hours trying to do it the hard way but came up empty. Is there a sure fire way to do it in a timely fashion yet? And if so could anyone send me a link to the place that offers an easy root? This information would help me out an insane amount and would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    thozgyz's Avatar

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

    Default

    +1... But I'm sure there isn't. It would be all over this site.. guessing the bolt is a little more complex for a one click root.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thozgyz View Post
    +1... But I'm sure there isn't. It would be all over this site.. guessing the bolt is a little more complex for a one click root.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's what I figured. I was so discouraged the other day when I spent an hour trying to root it. It was complex and took many steps, I made it to the last step and it denied permission. Hopefully they will have an easy root soon, sucks having a superior phone to my friends yet their phones are all rooted haha...
  4. #4  
    thozgyz's Avatar

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

    Default

    Yeah I never rooted before, other then reboots everything works well. Guess I'm a little afraid to mess that up. But if someone near me knew how to I'd do it..
  5. #5  
    FrankXS's Avatar

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth v3 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I'm unfortunately a newb with smartphones so I'm not sure if there is any easy way to root the Thunderbolt yet. Me and my friend spent hours trying to do it the hard way but came up empty. Is there a sure fire way to do it in a timely fashion yet? And if so could anyone send me a link to the place that offers an easy root? This information would help me out an insane amount and would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Since you didn't provide your reason for wanting to root, I can only say... why? You mention that you are a noobie with smartphones. That's not really the best start. You might want to forgo the rooting and wait until you discover a specific feature that can only be realized by rooting.

    -Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Since you didn't provide your reason for wanting to root, I can only say... why? You mention that you are a noobie with smartphones. That's not really the best start. You might want to forgo the rooting and wait until you discover a specific feature that can only be realized by rooting.

    -Frank
    Yes, sorry about that. I want to root so I can use my phone's mobile hotspot feature. I can't get the internet at my place so this feature would be ideal. And the pain of rooting is worth forgoing the monthly fee from Verizon.
  7. #7  
    broadwayblues's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

    Default

    The "rooting to get free mobile hotspot" isn't going to be a valid reason too much longer. I believe that we still have the free hotspot feature through the 15th, but there will be a point in the not too distant future where that won't work anymore.

    Consider looking at this:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/someti...%80%99t-answer

    If you are intimidated by the current methods of rooting the TB, then I respectfully say that you shouldn't root. I messed around with a couple ROMs, kernels and stuff, but brought it back to stock because my speaker went out on my earpiece.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Well the hotspot feature is free for another month i believe (im using it right now! so fast!)...i would take advantage of that for now then maybe by the time the free trial is up maybe there will be a easier way to root the TBOLT
  9. #9  
    vanster's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf 3.0 rc3

    Default Use the auto root method

    I used the auto root method in the root,roms and hacks forum. Took about 20 min.and it was very easy.
  10. #10  
    project.in.process's Avatar

    Posts
    1,223 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanster View Post
    I used the auto root method in the root,roms and hacks forum. Took about 20 min.and it was very easy.
    agreed.

    did this friday night after downloading everything
    autoroot=800MB, so...expect to be there a while while it downloads.

    from starting the program to finish--took me 45 minutes. that was 45 minutes spent sitting by the phone & watching tv while it did it's thing.

    it's honestly the easiest thing to do.
    not one click, but i touched my phone maybe 3 times during the whole process, just to confirm what was on the screen & execute the pending action by the program.

    do this. i'm loading ROMs like a mad man.
  11. #11  
    bigdonpaul's Avatar

    Posts
    90 Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.0 RC4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanster View Post
    I used the auto root method in the root,roms and hacks forum. Took about 20 min.and it was very easy.
    I second this. Follow a few instructions and it is done. No cutting or pasting code needed.
  12. #12  

    Default

    The issue with the thunderbolt is the locked bootloader. HTC recently announced they would no longer be locking the bootloaders on new phones (hooray for us!)...but that doesn't do us much good in the present day with our current thunderbolts.

    Based on what is involved to gain full root (with s-off) access on this phone, it would be pretty much impossible to do any way that is much simpler than the auto-root scripts that have been posted on this site.
  13. #13  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRGQ View Post
    Well the hotspot feature is free for another month i believe (im using it right now! so fast!)...i would take advantage of that for now then maybe by the time the free trial is up maybe there will be a easier way to root the TBOLT
    The mobile hotspot feature is free until June 15.
  14. #14  
    Iceycold's Avatar

    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 Stock <- Awesome

    Default

    I did with auto-root method, has a couple of things you have to do (maybe 2-4 things) it's really easy overall.
  15. #15  
    DanSan's Avatar

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

    Default

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...r1-update.html

    i have a video demonstration i made of me using this method so u can follow along.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    johndabeast's Avatar

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread DeBloated

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanSan View Post
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...r1-update.html

    i have a video demonstration i made of me using this method so u can follow along.
    That's exactly what I've been waiting for to root, an exact tutorial for the autoroot. Thanks for that. Only thing is, how do you go about flashing ROMs?
  17. #17  
    Rem
    Rem is offline
    Rem's Avatar

    Posts
    293 Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johndabeast View Post
    That's exactly what I've been waiting for to root, an exact tutorial for the autoroot. Thanks for that. Only thing is, how do you go about flashing ROMs?
    Read Cyber's sticky: How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default

    there is a youtube video that shows u step by step how to root the thunderbolt. i used this method it works it takes about 1 hour of your time. it tells you the websites where to download all the files. it a time consuming process but at the end of day you will be ok. im a newbie myself. i just worked just fine for me perfectly.enjoy!!
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johndabeast View Post
    That's exactly what I've been waiting for to root, an exact tutorial for the autoroot. Thanks for that. Only thing is, how do you go about flashing ROMs?

    There is 2 ways to flash(remember im a newbie but this has worked great for me) i have read A LOT...

    1)Download ROM MANAGER there are ROMs there u can flash..

    What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card.open ROM MANAGER, go to INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD, scroll down select the ROM u downloaded, wait a few mintues and enjoy...

    2) flash through RECOVERY.... (restart phone hold power and vol down)

    {What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card. restart phone vol down go, select RECOVERY then to go to sd card pick the name of the ROM then press power to start. wait a few minutes n enjoy..}

    How to flash depends on the ROM itself. both ways will work.. through ROM MANAGER u might have some apps that dont open properly.

    Hope this work for you it has worked for me after fooling around with it. just would like to pass around info i found. its really not that hard. this process takes about 10 min either way....
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default

    I used autoroot and I used the guides on this forum to learn about flashing roms..the guides were well thought out and very easy to follow. I thought it was more scary to root than following the flashing roms guide..auto root went smoothly but took a while on some steps and that always makes me nervous.
  21. #21  
    ssethv's Avatar
    ANDROID OBSESSED

    Posts
    1,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts

    Default

    Good luck with your future Rooting and ROMing ventures... 2 pieces of advice for you my friend... RULE 1: READ READ READ and the READ some more before you do anything.... RULE 2: berfore you flash a new ROM, make a nandroid backup... Read Cyber's sticky: How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt. Have fun and welcome to the community
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssethv View Post
    Good luck with your future Rooting and ROMing ventures... 2 pieces of advice for you my friend... RULE 1: READ READ READ and the READ some more before you do anything.... RULE 2: berfore you flash a new ROM, make a nandroid backup... Read Cyber's sticky: How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt. Have fun and welcome to the community
    Rule 3: ask questions here if you can't find an answer about something...even if you think it's a total noob question. Everyone here is very helpful, and you'll usually get answer pretty quickly.

    Hey, I asked some REALLY noob-ish questions at first, and within a few weeks I was writing tutorials and instructing people on how to flash radios....
    Thanked by:
    ssethv 
  23. #23  

    Default

    Don't mean to hijack here, but is there a guide on the basics of radios, how the work and what exactly you are doing when installing one?
  24. #24  
    nate44's Avatar

    Posts
    813 Posts
    ROM
    Synergy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rtj0615 View Post
    There is 2 ways to flash(remember im a newbie but this has worked great for me) i have read A LOT...

    1)Download ROM MANAGER there are ROMs there u can flash..

    What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card.open ROM MANAGER, go to INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD, scroll down select the ROM u downloaded, wait a few mintues and enjoy...

    2) flash through RECOVERY.... (restart phone hold power and vol down)

    {What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card. restart phone vol down go, select RECOVERY then to go to sd card pick the name of the ROM then press power to start. wait a few minutes n enjoy..}

    How to flash depends on the ROM itself. both ways will work.. through ROM MANAGER u might have some apps that dont open properly.

    Hope this work for you it has worked for me after fooling around with it. just would like to pass around info i found. its really not that hard. this process takes about 10 min either way....
    I don't recommend flashing through ROM Manager, it can and will cause problems. I only use it for clockworkmod recovery.

    Again follow Cyber Warrior's guide and you should be good to go. Always wipe data/caches when flashing to a different ROM. Wiping more than once is even better. I even clear data upgrading to a new version of the same ROM sometimes. As long as you have the right backup tools it shouldn't be a problem, and don't restore system data to a new ROM!

    Check your md5's, and pay special attention to radio files. Remove them from your sd card as soon as you can once flashed.

    Rules to live by
    Thanked by 3:
  25. #25  

    Default

    Hey guys. Just got the thunderbolt a few days ago and its my first andriod. I might sound like a total noob but whats rooting do? will it help my issue with battery life? if i do choose to root, how should i do it? Help! Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions