Rooted and Reboots...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock TB and was going to Root in the near future. Are you guys experiencing the reboots on a Rooted TB?

I've noticed that there have been some spotaneous reboots since the leak surfaced. Well, I am of the opinion that this is due to a radio issue, and specifically, the LTE radio.

So, I am putting together some packages for folks to mix/match, or revert.
]

that's quoted from here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...adio-obligatory-thunderbolt-radio-thread.html

basically if you are experiencing reboots, it's most likely radio related, and you can try these different combinations to find which works best with your phone.

Reactions: w00tw00twhat

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
that's quoted from here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...adio-obligatory-thunderbolt-radio-thread.html

basically if you are experiencing reboots, it's most likely radio related, and you can try these different combinations to find which works best with your phone.

All of those produce reboots for me. So what i did was when the radia with reboots first leaked a post was made by jcase (cant seem to find it or it seems to have been updated and is not the same as the one i use). So what i did was used that full ruu he posted to revert back and then flashed my choice of rom (das BR 1.7). Without any additional radios like they advise. So i have not had a single boot in 68 hours of running it.

When i flash radio that is newer i get boots instantly after flashing and another within the next 24 hours. So it is radio related and i stick to stock radio. Try flashing a rom without updating radio unless its a sense ginger rom. In that case you need the gb radio. Good luck.

Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt!

Reactions: zero neck

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock TB and was going to Root in the near future. Are you guys experiencing the reboots on a Rooted TB?

Just to be clear, rooting your phone or not really has no effect on the reboots, which are caused by problems with the radio, however, with root you also have the ability to select the radio that you want to use.

Also, aboldpatriotfan mentioned a ginger bread radio for some of the new ginger bread roms, so fyi this gb radio could possibly brick your phone, in case you haven't read about that.

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

To answer your question from a very general standpoint, most of the users having the most issues with reboots are those who have not rooted their phone and are running the software updated by the OTA update that was pushed a few weeks ago.

Having said that, the reboot issue isn't necessarily linked to root permissions. What rooting will provide for you, as others have mentioned, are a lot more options to self diagnose and potentially correct issues with the phone, which is why less rooted users are having issues.

Personally, running the BAMF remix and the "1.13.605.7 CDMA and 1.12.605.6 LTE radio" radio has been excellent for me. ZERO reboots in the past several weeks running this configuration.

If you're having issues with reboots and want to try to flash a different radio, they can be found here:
[RADIO] The Obligatory Thunderbolt Radio Thread - xda-developers
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: Now...do be aware that flashing a radio is a fairly simple process, but one that definitely should NOT be taken lightly. If something goes wrong, you can brick your phone. Read the instructions carefully, check your MD5 sums after downloading and before installing, and ask questions here if you're not sure about something.

Reactions: zero neck

Big-Dave

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. And this leads me to some other questions..... When using an updated LTE radio, can you still toggle down to the 3G speeds?

I have been using the 3G toggle to conserve battery during the work week

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the information. And this leads me to some other questions..... When using an updated LTE radio, can you still toggle down to the 3G speeds?

I have been using the 3G toggle to conserve battery during the work week

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yup...I just used it this past weekend.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, rooting your phone or not really has no effect on the reboots, which are caused by problems with the radio, however, with root you also have the ability to select the radio that you want to use.

Also, aboldpatriotfan mentioned a ginger bread radio for some of the new ginger bread roms, so fyi this gb radio could possibly brick your phone, in case you haven't read about that.

this right here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt