Root and Unroot questions.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I want to root and add the new htc lockscreen onto my phone, my question is if i root and add that will i be able to unroot and still be able to use it. Also if i unroot, will i be able to update to gingerbread and still use it, i like being able to update with ease with the ota.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
A simple answer is no, once you unroot you will lose all the modifications you made. Once you root there isn't really any reason to unroot beside returning your phone to Verizon. Flashing a new Rom isn't any more difficult then accepting an OTA and with custom roms you receive updates much faster then waiting for updates plus all the extra's the developer add to these roms.

Reactions: zero neck

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea i used to be on a captivate and i rooted just about right away, i plan to flash das bamf for gibgerbread, jut want to wait for all the bug to get worked out, thanks for the response

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been running the BAMF 2.05 and the new preview roms and they are getting real close to being perfect IMO. Good luck and let us know if you have any question when you root.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea from what i have read it looks like it is very close, i cant wait, ill probably cave and just root and flash it

ksheth2130

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This may sound ignorant on my behalf, but I need to return my ThunderBolt to Verizon for a new one and need to unroot. The thread on Android Central sends me to a link on xda-developers.

I understood the first part which states, "Flash the above PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip to restore everything to stock + OTA BUT still will have the s-off bootloader.
Rename PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip as PG05IMG.zip, and flash through hboot"

I'm confused on the second part which is to restore the bootloader. It states, "To restore the bootloader, rename PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip as PG05IMG.zip and flash through the bootloader. DO NOT FLASH THIS unless you are absolutely sure PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip flashed to your device, without issue."

The reason for my confusion is do I do the second part in hboot just as I did the first? Or is there something else that needs to be done that I'm missing? Someone mentioned adb in one of the posts but didn't see anything about adb in those instructions. Thanks kindly if you can help!!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This may sound ignorant on my behalf, but I need to return my ThunderBolt to Verizon for a new one and need to unroot. The thread on Android Central sends me to a link on xda-developers.

I understood the first part which states, "Flash the above PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip to restore everything to stock + OTA BUT still will have the s-off bootloader.
Rename PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip as PG05IMG.zip, and flash through hboot"

I'm confused on the second part which is to restore the bootloader. It states, "To restore the bootloader, rename PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip as PG05IMG.zip and flash through the bootloader. DO NOT FLASH THIS unless you are absolutely sure PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip flashed to your device, without issue."

The reason for my confusion is do I do the second part in hboot just as I did the first? Or is there something else that needs to be done that I'm missing? Someone mentioned adb in one of the posts but didn't see anything about adb in those instructions. Thanks kindly if you can help!!

Yes flash the second file in hboot just like the first and I believe that's it after reading the first post only.

Reactions: ksheth2130

ksheth2130

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes flash the second file in hboot just like the first and I believe that's it after reading the first post only.

I also used Super Manager to move the bloatware from the device into a folder on my SD card, will I need to transfer all that back into the system before unrooting?

ksheth2130

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I also used Super Manager to move the bloatware from the device into a folder on my SD card, will I need to transfer all that back into the system before unrooting?

*Sorry for the double post! Computer hung up.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

*Sorry for the double post! Computer hung up.

I don't think that should effect anything not moving it back, I had to unroot my phone a few weeks ago and I had removed many app's and didn't replace them and had no problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam